Old 20-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Tom Lucht

Default help identify this plant?

Hi folks, can anybody identify this plant for me? I have a big hedge
of it around the house I just moved into, and I'm trying to figure out
how to care for it. (Note that the red leaves appeared in early
spring -- they were all green during the winter.)

http://www.tomlucht.com/files/public..._12-46-16a.JPG

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 20-04-2003, 10:20 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Tom Lucht) wrote:

Hi folks, can anybody identify this plant for me? I have a big hedge
of it around the house I just moved into, and I'm trying to figure out
how to care for it. (Note that the red leaves appeared in early
spring -- they were all green during the winter.)

http://www.tomlucht.com/files/public..._12-46-16a.JPG

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Photinia.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 20-04-2003, 10:44 PM
griffon

(Tom Lucht) wrote:

Hi folks, can anybody identify this plant for me? I have a big hedge
of it around the house I just moved into, and I'm trying to figure out
how to care for it. (Note that the red leaves appeared in early
spring -- they were all green during the winter.)

http://www.tomlucht.com/files/public..._12-46-16a.JPG

Thanks in advance,
Tom

As paghat said, it is Photinia, probably Photinia x fraseri or
Photinia glabra, both are quite common. I have a very large Fraser
Photinia (also known as Red-Tip Photinia) and it is spectacular when
in bloom in the spring. I never have been very fond of them in hedge
form because it takes away from the character of the shrub. You need
to watch for leaf spot fungus as it can be very destructive in many
(maybe all?)
types of this shrub. They like moist soil but are not that tolerant
of wet soil or drought. They respond well to pruning but you should
prune them after they flower.