Old 29-02-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Growing tomatoes under lights

I'm growing some tomato plants under a 400 watt metal halide lamp. They
are about three weeks old and several are a few days from blooming. Right
now I have them under 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness.

Should I continue to keep them under the MH lamp or should I switch over
to my high pressure sodium lamp? Also, should I change the light schedule
at all?
Old 29-02-2008, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Feb 28, 8:29 pm, Deuteros wrote:
I'm growing some tomato plants under a 400 watt metal halide lamp. They
are about three weeks old and several are a few days from blooming. Right
now I have them under 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness.

Should I continue to keep them under the MH lamp or should I switch over
to my high pressure sodium lamp? Also, should I change the light schedule
at all?

Tomatoes = long day, since they bear fruit during summer.
I'd switch to HPS anyway, since it costs less to run per
usable lumen.
Old 29-02-2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Father Haskell wrote:

On Feb 28, 8:29 pm, Deuteros wrote:
I'm growing some tomato plants under a 400 watt metal halide lamp. They
are about three weeks old and several are a few days from blooming. Right
now I have them under 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness.

Should I continue to keep them under the MH lamp or should I switch over
to my high pressure sodium lamp? Also, should I change the light schedule
at all?

Tomatoes = long day, since they bear fruit during summer.
I'd switch to HPS anyway, since it costs less to run per
usable lumen.

My tomatoes first flower around the summer solstice. After that they set
fruit and flower some more as the days begin to shorten.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 29-02-2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Feb 29, 12:34 pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,
Father Haskell wrote:

On Feb 28, 8:29 pm, Deuteros wrote:
I'm growing some tomato plants under a 400 watt metal halide lamp. They
are about three weeks old and several are a few days from blooming. Right
now I have them under 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness.

Should I continue to keep them under the MH lamp or should I switch over
to my high pressure sodium lamp? Also, should I change the light schedule
at all?

Tomatoes = long day, since they bear fruit during summer.
I'd switch to HPS anyway, since it costs less to run per
usable lumen.

My tomatoes first flower around the summer solstice.

Which would be close to 18-6.

After that they set
fruit and flower some more as the days begin to shorten.

Up until the equinox, with declining production until killing
frost?

--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Haguehttp://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_to_impeach_George_W._Bush

Old 29-02-2008, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Father Haskell wrote:

On Feb 29, 12:34 pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,
Father Haskell wrote:

On Feb 28, 8:29 pm, Deuteros wrote:
I'm growing some tomato plants under a 400 watt metal halide lamp. They
are about three weeks old and several are a few days from blooming.
Right
now I have them under 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness.

Should I continue to keep them under the MH lamp or should I switch
over
to my high pressure sodium lamp? Also, should I change the light
schedule
at all?

Tomatoes = long day, since they bear fruit during summer.
I'd switch to HPS anyway, since it costs less to run per
usable lumen.

My tomatoes first flower around the summer solstice.

Which would be close to 18-6.

Ay, Father, but we dunna all have the luck to live in, Nova Scotia isn't
it?