Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default covering a stucco wall

Hi I'm trying to figure out the best way to cover my stucco balcony
with something green and alive. I put up some creeping fig vines, but
there's still more balcony to fill. I was thinking some kind of moss
maybe? Is this realistic? What other option might I consider that
would require little care and would do a good job of densely covering
the side and top of the stucco walls? Thanks.

- JayDee
Old 10-03-2008, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/9/2008 11:00 PM, JayDee wrote:
Hi I'm trying to figure out the best way to cover my stucco balcony
with something green and alive. I put up some creeping fig vines, but
there's still more balcony to fill. I was thinking some kind of moss
maybe? Is this realistic? What other option might I consider that
would require little care and would do a good job of densely covering
the side and top of the stucco walls? Thanks.

- JayDee

Creeping fig (Ficus pumila, also known as F. repens) will severely
damange stucco. It's worse than ivy. If you own the building, that's
your problem. If you are renting, you will have a problem with your
landlord.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 12-03-2008, 12:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JayDee" wrote in message
Hi I'm trying to figure out the best way to cover my stucco balcony
with something green and alive. I put up some creeping fig vines, but
there's still more balcony to fill. I was thinking some kind of moss
maybe? Is this realistic? What other option might I consider that
would require little care and would do a good job of densely covering
the side and top of the stucco walls? Thanks.

- JayDee

I suggest that you train a vine (but definitely not moss) on some sort of
structure that can be mounted so it is a few inches *out* from the wall.
Someone else mentioned lattice, and that would be a good option. Any plant
growing on brick or stucco can create damage (mold, mildew, cracks
developing) and is also an attractant to insects. Moreover, you will not be
able to view any damage to the surface of your home as it is
developing...possibly until after major damage has been done.

MaryL

Old 13-03-2008, 08:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 12, 5:02*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"JayDee" wrote in message

[...]

thanks for the replies.

The creeping fig doesn't even appear to be sticking to the stucco
after almost eight months of being tied to little plastic clips every
4-6 inches. It seems to have grown a little, but since the figs are in
12" diameter pots, I don't think they'll be growing all that fast. How
long will it take before they start attaching themselves to the
stucco? Should I put something against them to press them into the
wall? At this point, I'm alright leaving them since it's an apartment
that needs a little stucco work anyway (I've been here for 10 years
and they really need to restore it).

- JayDee
Old 13-03-2008, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
"JayDee" wrote in message

[...]

This site says creeping figs will cling to any damp surface (which would not
be true of stucco -- and would not be desirable):
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...e/_PLA704.html. You
said that the stucco needs to be restored. That, of course, will be
impossible with vines growing on it. The vines would need to be removed --
and that will probably leave still more damage if you were to get true
clinging vines, such as ivy. I did espalier some Russian olive on a brick
wall a number of years ago, and that worked well. It had to be held with
clips or tied to nails (which is an advantage rather than a disadvantage
because clinging roots really can do a lot of damage), but the stems were
sturdy enough so that I was able to use very few nails and tie the
developing plant to them. The underside of the leaves gave a pretty,
shimmery almost "silver" effect against the wall.

MaryL

MaryL