Old 09-08-2005, 11:09 AM
jw 1111

Default covering a white wall

Hi, i wish to advise a neighbour who has a outbuilding about 8 feet high,
with a large expanse of newly white painted wall. this needs to be covered
in some green plant, that will allow the building to blend in more to the
rest of the green sourroundings.

there is little space to spare in front of it, so it probably needs to be
something that will actually climb up the building wall. preferably
something that will not cause damage to building wall.

grateful for any suggestions. thanks.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"jw 1111" writes:
| Hi, i wish to advise a neighbour who has a outbuilding about 8 feet high,
| with a large expanse of newly white painted wall. this needs to be covered
| in some green plant, that will allow the building to blend in more to the
| rest of the green sourroundings.
|
| there is little space to spare in front of it, so it probably needs to be
| something that will actually climb up the building wall. preferably
| something that will not cause damage to building wall.

What aspect? What soil? What location? And how much space?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:32 AM
jw 1111

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"jw 1111" writes:
| Hi, i wish to advise a neighbour who has a outbuilding about 8 feet
high,
| with a large expanse of newly white painted wall. this needs to be
covered
| in some green plant, that will allow the building to blend in more to
the
| rest of the green sourroundings.
|
| there is little space to spare in front of it, so it probably needs to
be
| something that will actually climb up the building wall. preferably
| something that will not cause damage to building wall.

What aspect? What soil? What location? And how much space?
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

thanks. aspect; facing south, soil reasonably ok, but clay below one foot
in depth. location is north london. u.k. space in front 18 inches.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"jw 1111" writes:

| thanks. aspect; facing south, soil reasonably ok, but clay below one foot
| in depth. location is north london. u.k. space in front 18 inches.

The clay is a problem. Don't plant clematis. There is a
lot more choice if something is provided for climbers to grow
up, and 18" is plenty of room. The least visually obtrusive
support is galvanised wire stapled to posts, but wire mesh
(e.g. pig netting) is easier to put up.

Otherwise, consider an ivy, a Virginia creeper (Boston ivy),
Hydrangea petiolaris or one of its allies, or Campsis (radicans
or x taglibuana). The last is spectacular, but flowers only
when it reaches the top of the wall and waggles free. What
else is self-clinging, he asks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
"jw 1111" writes:

| thanks. aspect; facing south, soil reasonably ok, but clay below one foot
| in depth. location is north london. u.k. space in front 18 inches.

The clay is a problem. Don't plant clematis. There is a
lot more choice if something is provided for climbers to grow
up, and 18" is plenty of room. The least visually obtrusive
support is galvanised wire stapled to posts, but wire mesh
(e.g. pig netting) is easier to put up.

Otherwise, consider an ivy, a Virginia creeper (Boston ivy),

This is only a small outbuilding! Ivy and Boston ivy will be far too
difficult to control after the first few years.

--
Kay

Old 10-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"jw 1111" writes:

| thanks. aspect; facing south, soil reasonably ok, but clay below one

foot
| in depth. location is north london. u.k. space in front 18 inches.

The clay is a problem. Don't plant clematis. There is a
lot more choice if something is provided for climbers to grow
up, and 18" is plenty of room. The least visually obtrusive
support is galvanised wire stapled to posts, but wire mesh
(e.g. pig netting) is easier to put up.

Otherwise, consider an ivy, a Virginia creeper (Boston ivy),
Hydrangea petiolaris or one of its allies, or Campsis (radicans
or x taglibuana). The last is spectacular, but flowers only
when it reaches the top of the wall and waggles free. What
else is self-clinging, he asks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Campsis, Trachelospermum, Pileostegia for flowers, parthenocissus and ivy
for leaves. Its not a long list!
If you put up a frame work a whole lot more becomes available.
Just been sent a picture of a Hibbertia scandens I sold someone in north
London, it had out grown the conservatory and they had put it out, stunning,
evergreen and covered with bright yellow flowers. didn't think it would
survive but it did.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-08-2005, 11:22 AM
jw 1111

"jw 1111" writes:

| thanks. aspect; facing south, soil reasonably ok, but clay below one

foot
| in depth. location is north london. u.k. space in front 18 inches.

The clay is a problem. Don't plant clematis. There is a
lot more choice if something is provided for climbers to grow
up, and 18" is plenty of room. The least visually obtrusive
support is galvanised wire stapled to posts, but wire mesh
(e.g. pig netting) is easier to put up.

Otherwise, consider an ivy, a Virginia creeper (Boston ivy),
Hydrangea petiolaris or one of its allies, or Campsis (radicans
or x taglibuana). The last is spectacular, but flowers only
when it reaches the top of the wall and waggles free. What
else is self-clinging, he asks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Campsis, Trachelospermum, Pileostegia for flowers, parthenocissus and ivy
for leaves. Its not a long list!
If you put up a frame work a whole lot more becomes available.
Just been sent a picture of a Hibbertia scandens I sold someone in north
London, it had out grown the conservatory and they had put it out,
stunning,
evergreen and covered with bright yellow flowers. didn't think it would
survive but it did.
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

Many thanks to all. with regard to parthenocissus and ivy; would
parthenocissus become less invasive than ivy after a while? i.e. better
choose this rather than ivy?

Old 13-08-2005, 11:46 AM
JennyC

"jw 1111" wrote

Many thanks to all. with regard to parthenocissus and ivy; would
parthenocissus become less invasive than ivy after a while? i.e. better
choose this rather than ivy?

Parthenocissus is far less invasive IMO than ivy. It's easier to control and
does not go as ballistic :~)

BUT it is of course bare in winter, whereas ivy is evergreen. Depends what you
prefer.

I love the gorgeous colours of parthenocissus in Autumn........
Jenny

Old 13-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes

"jw 1111" wrote

Many thanks to all. with regard to parthenocissus and ivy; would
parthenocissus become less invasive than ivy after a while? i.e. better
choose this rather than ivy?

Parthenocissus is far less invasive IMO than ivy. It's easier to control and
does not go as ballistic :~)

BUT it is of course bare in winter, whereas ivy is evergreen. Depends what you
prefer.

I love the gorgeous colours of parthenocissus in Autumn........

Parthenocissus as in Boston ivy (ivy like leaves) as opposed to Virginia
Creeper (horse chestnut like leaves) grows more in a year than ivy. Ivy
gets up about half a storey, boston ivy will go a full storey.

Boston ivy doesn't cling as hard and is easier to pull off.

--
Kay

Old 13-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , JennyC
writes

Parthenocissus is far less invasive IMO than ivy. It's easier to control and
does not go as ballistic :~)

Parthenocissus as in Boston ivy (ivy like leaves) as opposed to Virginia
Creeper (horse chestnut like leaves) grows more in a year than ivy. Ivy
gets up about half a storey, boston ivy will go a full storey.

Boston ivy doesn't cling as hard and is easier to pull off.

And remember that ivy is more vigorous in wetter conditions, and
Boston ivy and Virginia Creeper in drier ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.