Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default smoke tree

Have a big smoke tree in front of the house, but only the west-facing
main brances are still alive, couple of big branches are dead (hard to
tell from any distance!). Any chance of new growth there, when I cut
them off? Or do I have to replace the whole thing?

Thanks.

(Long Beach, CA 90807)

J.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 16:48:58 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:

Scratch the dead looking branches and if they are dead they'll be
brittle and brown. If there is still life in the plant on that side
the scratch will reveal green. If they are dead branches, that's it.

But if I chop off the branches at the trunk, is it likely to sprout
again, or is there something I can do to encourage it?

What has happened near the root zone of that plant in recent years.
Any construction, or heavy equipment driven over the area, or any
herbicide drift from spraying on other plants nearby?

Some adjoining shrubs were removed on one side, and some rosemary
groundcover grew up on the other. Besides that, it's possible it was
getting insufficient water from the irrigation system - if it's
possible to harm a smoke tree that way, we did have a very dry year in
2007. I can't say quite when the branches died, likely a season or
two ago.

J.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

JXSTERN
Good questions. When pruning I would suggest my site that I wrote for
people with questions like yourself. The site is free of course. Its my
way of paying my little debt to society. Once viewing the site if you have
any questions, I'm sure you will, please do not hesitate to contact me and I
will make the answer to your question a part of the website. Removing
symplastless (often called dead) branches is a health treatment for the tree
if done correctly. I call them symplastless to clearly address the living
content of symplastless wood in a tree farm or forest. A downed
symplastless tree could be made up of 30 some % fungi cells alone. Not very
dead. I take it your goal is the health of the tree. Sometimes in forest
management treatments not excepted for trees in an urban environment are
beneficial for the system. E.g., a flush cut with wound dressing applied
can cause rot or decay and a cavity for small wildlife. However it's not
the best treatment for a common specimen urban tree, for health
improvements. Great for the system though. So much to learn about nature,
its rules, and its exceptions to those rules.

Sorry for the bother.

I have put together a website on pruning. I am still
working on the section on branches and cracks. I will be getting some
pictures of cracks to add. Any feed back (productive positive criticism)
is welcome.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
More nonsense cut

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

He is neither forester, or arborist.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in message
news:BYudnUQUTvZCF2TanZ2dnUVZ_vShnZ2d@telecomsuppl yinc...

"symplastless" wrote in message
More nonsense cut

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Buttercup
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

He is neither forester, or arborist.

What are you? see when you say forester you really mean tree farmer. I do
not know what you mean when you say arborist. Well, I am a tree farmer as
well as a consulting forested with a thorough understanding of tree biology.
How about you?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"D. Staples" wrote in message
[...]

I am a forester, you are a fraud, grasping for identity.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in message
news:086dnXd9stkoT2PanZ2dnUVZ_qWtnZ2d@telecomsuppl yinc...

I am a forester, you are a fraud, grasping for identity.

Well then please answer these questions if you are such a professional so we
can all see your knowledge.
I am even listing the pages of where the answers can be found in MODERN
ARBORICULTURE. lets see how fast you can answer these questions. Its
4-11-2008 and 10:12 PM EST

A- What is a forester? You say you are one. How do you define it?

1.. What is the major difference between wood cells and animal cells? 26
2.. List five ways to resist stress and strain in a living system? 31
3.. Name the major parts of a tree flower. 34
4.. Where do buds get the energy to start growth? 35
5.. What is meant by excurrent and decurrent branching? 37
6.. What are three basic nodal patterns. 39
7.. What are the major differences between sapwood and heartwood? 47
8.. Define epidermis, cortex, and parenchyma. 49
9.. Contrast ring porous, diffuse porous, and conifer wood. 50-52
10.. What are two types of coniferous wood? 52
11.. What are resign ducts? 52
12.. What 3 tissues make up the periderm? 53
13.. What is wood? 53
14.. Contrast symplast and apoplast. 54
15.. Describe the development of vessels. 55
16.. How do tyloses form? 57
17.. What are contact parenchyma? 58
18.. When fusiform initials differentiate, what do they form. 57
19.. Describe reaction wood, compression wood and tension wood. 63
20.. Contrast heartwood and discolored wood. 64
21.. Contrast wounds in sapwood and heartwood. 65
22.. What is vigor and how can it be measured? 67
23.. What is meant by microbial succession after wounding? 70
24.. Contrast the concepts of heartwood and compartmentalization. 73
25.. Describe the 4 model walls in CODIT. 74-75
26.. What is a barrier zone? 80
27.. Describe how to date a wound. 81
28.. Describe the development of fire blight. 85
29.. What are branch collars and trunk collars? 86-87
30.. What is the branch protection zone? 90
31.. What is meant my natural target pruning? 92
32.. Why is there no set angle for a correct cut? 93
33.. If cavities for wildlife are wanted, what is the best way to prune?
95
34.. Why are flush cuts so injurious? 104
35.. What is included bark? 104
36.. What are the two types of epicormic sprouts? 105
37.. What are codominant stems? 107
38.. What does excessive sprouting indicate? 115
39.. What is pollarding? 116
40.. What does 90-3-90 mean for utility pruning? 119
41.. What does natural directional pruning mean for utility pruning?
122
42.. What are suppressed and elite sprouts? 127 ? 128
43.. What are rusts? 136
44.. What are rams horns? 137
45.. Give 4 basic ways microorganisms infect stems and roots. 139
46.. What are cankers? 140
47.. How do canker rots develop? 141
48.. Contrast stress and strain. 144
49.. At what phenological period do wounds cause the greatest injury?
145
50.. Contrast callus and woundwood. 147 ? 149
51.. What is the correct way to scribe wounds? 150 ? 151
52.. Contrast ants and termites. 155
53.. Contrast mites and insects. 156
54.. What are nematodes? 157
55.. Why should drain tubes not be inserted to drain water from
cavities? 161
56.. What portions of a trunk are the strongest against the spread of
infection? 165
57.. What is wetwood? 173
58.. Contrast wetwood with sap flow. 173
59.. How do trees wound themselves? 175
60.. How does black sooty mold develop? 177
61.. What are yeast? 178
62.. What are the two basic types of trunk cracks? 180
63.. What are ring shakes? 184
64.. What is protection wood? 189
65.. Name at least 5 types of protection wood. 189
66.. What is energy? 190
67.. Describe very briefly how energy comes from the sun to green
plants. 191 ? 192
68.. What are 2 major abiotic factors regulate photosynthesis? 193
69.. Why are manganese and iron important in photosynthesis? 194
70.. What is ADP? 195
71.. What are the four major ways energy is used by trees? 197
72.. What is respiration? 200
73.. Name at least 5 major survival factors for trees. 209
74.. What are the 3 major ways trees die? 210
75.. What is meant by infection? 212
76.. What are enzymes? 216
77.. Give the major cell types in a leaf. 219
78.. What are two functions of guard cells? 220
79.. Describe briefly how water and elements enter roots. 222
80.. Describe briefly transport in phloem. 226
81.. What is meant by potential and kinetic energy? 229
82.. What is the first major substance formed by nitrogen in roots? 234
83.. Why do some clays expand and shrink greatly? 242
84.. Name the 13 essential elements found in most soils. 244
85.. What are ions? 245
86.. What does pH 7 mean? 246
87.. Describe briefly osmotic pressure. 297
88.. What is plasmolysis? 248
89.. What are root hairs? 250
90.. What are mycorrhizae? 251
91.. Discuss briefly the mass, energy ratio. 256
92.. Describe briefly, tanning of leaves. 259
93.. What is a young tree? 264
94.. What are 5 major phenological periods? 268
95.. Describe briefly how the Shigometer measures vitality. 279
96.. How can you determine starch reserves in cells? 277
97.. What is meant by cluster planting? 305
98.. List at least 10 early signs of tree hazards. 318
99.. Describe briefly, 2 major ways branches fracture. 323
100.. What are dwarf mistletoes? 341

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

..

Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have but one question for you. Why are you such a ****ing dildo?

Old 13-04-2008, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

I thought so!

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

news:jdOdnbjHQ55ZqJ3VnZ2dnUVZ_ournZ2d@telecomsuppl yinc...

"D. Staples" wrote in message
news:086dnXd9stkoT2PanZ2dnUVZ_qWtnZ2d@telecomsuppl yinc...

I am a forester, you are a fraud, grasping for identity.

Well then please answer these questions if you are such a professional so
we can all see your knowledge.
I am even listing the pages of where the answers can be found in MODERN
ARBORICULTURE. lets see how fast you can answer these questions. Its
4-11-2008 and 10:12 PM EST

I have but one question for you. Why are you such a ****ing dildo?

[IMG] code is On

what looks like a pink smoke tree? Jim Shaffer Gardening 2 22-07-2006 07:41 PM
Old Smoke Tree Sonia Van Tassel Gardening 0 07-06-2005 09:20 AM
Caterpillars on smoke tree...... John Mac Gardening 0 12-07-2003 04:20 AM
Green Smoke Tree Surfs Up Gardening 1 13-05-2003 07:44 PM
Purple smoke tree ande Gardening 8 18-04-2003 07:08 PM