Old 19-04-2008, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ** Thai Pepper plants having 2 problems - S. Florida - "pickinu" **

Someone Please help me!!

My Thai spicy pepper plants are having a bit of trouble here in S.
Florida.

1.) A number of them have leaves which are getting a white swiriling
line going through the leaf and then the leaf turns yellow and
finally
dies off. Not sure what this is nor how to cure it in a manner
which
will keep the peppers safe to eat (organic). Some dishwashing soap
in water perhaps? Not sure if this is fungal though.

2.) We had a bit of cold weather this past week (over the nights)
where the temperature dropped to the low 60's or 50's. One of the
thai pepper plants leaves shriveled up and simply began falling off
even though I gave it water. I am wondering if the plant can still
come back and what the best way to get it back will be since the stem
is still very green. Also, what products (if any) I should be using
which will keep the future peppers safe to eat (organic). Not sure
if
this is fungal though. I sure hope it is not root rot as I do not
know how to cure that organically. I do not think Subdue Max is
safe
to use on produce.

Below are some pictures. I greatly appreciate your help!

(Plant which shows leaves which have white swirling lines):
http://www.consumergroup.com/palms/peppers/IMG_0159.jpg

(Plant which shows leaves which shriveled up and dropped off; picture
taken within 24 hours of this event):
http://www.consumergroup.com/palms/peppers/IMG_0167.jpg

Please advise so I can save these plants. They are hard to find /
buy
with the heat value these have. = )

David

Old 19-04-2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
David wrote:

[...]

Here is a place to look at.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/pepper_list.htm

Your first image got me thinking about Magnesium or Potassium low levels.

http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/excerpts/exgardea.html

Good Luck!

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 19-04-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
David wrote:

[...]

Another option.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r604100511.html

Consider getting "Organic Plant Protection from Rodale Press and
"Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening" same publisher .

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 20-04-2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 19, 10:24*am, Steve wrote:
David wrote:
[...]

That 2nd picture looks exactly like what would happen to a pepper plant
if it had been kept too wet and the roots were rotting off. (adding more
water to stop the wilting would be the natural thing to do, but it only
makes it all worse)
I have no way to know if you have been over watering. You can judge for
yourself if that is a possibility.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

What is the safest organic fungicide which might kill root rot (I
assume Pithium / Phytothera) ? I don't want to ingest this stuff in
the peppers later as most fungicides are not labeled for produce /
edibals. I have a product called "Subdue Max" although I only use it
on potted palm trees.

David
Old 20-04-2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 19, 10:24*am, Steve wrote:
David wrote:
[...]

Hey Steve,

Again, I do have some Sudue Maxx (by Syngentia) which has an active
ingredient of: mefenoxam

It seems that other products with the same active ingredient are
recommended at:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PG100

Yet, I did not see any indications to use this on edible produce at:
http://www.syngentaprofessionalprodu...index.asp?Prod...

Do you think there is a major difference between Subdue Maxx and the
others which use the same active ingredient such as:

Ultra Flourish (mefenoxam)
or
Ridomil Gold 4 EC (mefenoxam)

?

-David

Old 20-04-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Steve wrote:

David wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:24 am, Steve wrote:
David wrote:
[...]

If that was my plant and I really wanted to save it, I would un pot it
and rinse the roots clean. Get a good look. If the roots are healthy,
then I was wrong and something else is killing it. If the roots are
rotted, as I suspect, I would cut off any dead stuff and repot it in
fresh soiless mix and keep it moist but never wet.
I suppose I might look over the fungicides that I own to see if one was
labeled for edible plants AND for root rot. Lacking that, I don't think
I would go to the store looking for one. If the roots are bad but still
have some life in them, just changing to the new mix might do it. If
every thing below ground is dead, there's not much hope. I never tried
rooting a pepper cutting.

Steve

We have recently discussed chamomile tea, and cinnamon as fungicides.
Don't know if it will work but it can't hurt. Copper sulfate would also
be safe for the amount of soil that you are working with. It used to be
used with grapes with no harm but raised hell with the yeast if it got
into the fermentation tanks. I believe there is an other sulfate mixture
that is safe but I can't remember the brand. You definitly don't want
anything with heavy metals.
----------
MSDS Copper Sulfate

SECTION V. HEALTH AND HAZARD INFORMATION
Swallowing Toxic orally in accordance with FHSLA regulations. Acute
oral LD50 (male rats) = 472 mg/kg.

Skin Non-toxic. Skin irritation index is zero in accordance with FHSLA
regulations.

Eyes Corrosive in accordance with FHSLA regulations. Eye irritation
sco 24 hours = 41.67; 48 hours = corrosive

Inhalation Inhalation of dust may cause irritation to the upper
respiration tract.

Carcinogenicity None as per NTP, OSHA, and IARC.
--

Billy

The Murder of Rachel Corrie
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml

[IMG] code is On

Thai Pepper Plant jce3rd Edible Gardening 3 31-12-2008 04:26 PM
Thai Pepper plants having trouble - Florida - "pickinu" David[_11_] Edible Gardening 9 21-04-2008 03:16 PM
Hot Thai Pepper yosef Edible Gardening 0 28-11-2007 05:29 AM
Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM