Old 19-04-2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Magnolia Question Prune?

After 35 years I have two large Magnolias about 30 feet high. I
intend to take one down for more light as it blooms too early an burns
due to frost. The other is close and one branch could rub against our
roof. The latter concerns my prune question.

Can I trim it back ?

Been here.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0603/magnolia_prune.asp

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 20-04-2008, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill wrote:
After 35 years I have two large Magnolias about 30 feet high. I
intend to take one down for more light as it blooms too early an burns
due to frost. The other is close and one branch could rub against our
roof. The latter concerns my prune question.

Can I trim it back ?

Been here.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0603/magnolia_prune.asp

Bill

I've got one and I'm constantly whacking away at it. Not pruning to
shape but removing lower branches and those that threaten house.
Wish my wife never brought it. It's beautiful right now but drops
blooms fast and they need to be raked as they smoother grass and clog
mower. Leaves in fall are also a PITA.

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/magnolia.jpg

Frank
Old 20-04-2008, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message

After 35 years I have two large Magnolias about 30 feet high. I
intend to take one down for more light as it blooms too early an burns
due to frost. The other is close and one branch could rub against our
roof. The latter concerns my prune question.

Can I trim it back ?

Good question.
Sure you can. Dose, Timing and Targets play an important role. The
maturity of the trees play a role. I highly suggest that this book be
reviewed. A World Wide Photo Guide by Dr. Shigo.
Also Modern Arboriculture is a great book to address your concerns about
tree health. www.shigoandtrees.com

I have written a section on Pruning and it is he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.