Old 23-04-2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Any new stuff?

Anyone trying new crops this year?

Some of mine a

Green Zebra tomatoes
Black Cherry tomatoes
Pink Oxheart tomatoes
Quadrato D'asti Rosso sweet pepper
Amish Lamb's Tongue lettuce
Italiko Rosso Dandelion chicory
Purple Plum radish
Five Color Silerbeet Swiss chard (in a flower bed)

cheers

oz, glad the Ark is parked
Old 23-04-2008, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
MajorOz wrote:

Anyone trying new crops this year?

Some of mine a

Green Zebra tomatoes
Black Cherry tomatoes
Pink Oxheart tomatoes

Quadrato D'asti Rosso sweet pepper

I suspect that since Carlo Petrini came out with "Slow Food Nation",
this puppy has skyrocked off the charts.

I have four.

--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 24-04-2008, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 23, 5:08 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 4/23/08 12:20 AM, in article
, "MajorOz"

wrote:
Anyone trying new crops this year?

Some of mine a

Green Zebra tomatoes
Black Cherry tomatoes
Pink Oxheart tomatoes
Quadrato D'asti Rosso sweet pepper
Amish Lamb's Tongue lettuce
Italiko Rosso Dandelion chicory
Purple Plum radish
Five Color Silerbeet Swiss chard (in a flower bed)

cheers

oz, glad the Ark is parked

You are so going to love the Green Zebra and the Black Cherry tomatoes

Thank you. I'm looking forward to having them.

I forgot to mention that I am also growing leeks for the very first
time. Package says 150 days and it is best to wait for frost before
harvesting. Izzat so?

cheers

oz, who got almost all his seeds from Baker Creek

Old 24-04-2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 24, 10:21 am, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:25:12 -0700 (PDT), MajorOz

wrote:
I forgot to mention that I am also growing leeks for the very first
time. Package says 150 days and it is best to wait for frost before
harvesting. Izzat so?

Which variety did you plant? I've always planted the Giant
Musselburgh, though I have Blue Solaize (from seedsavers) in storage.

They are American Flag, a Ferry-Morse/wal-mart hybrid. BC didn't have
any the day I was seed shopping.

Will saved seeds from hybrids produce?

Cool weather and a little frost improves the flavor somewhat, so I've
heard. We start using them when they get some size to them and we
can't wait any longer. MMMMmm...tater and leek soup........

They will stay in the ground and good into the winter. Mulch em' good.

I've harvested in Dec. You should have good luck, down yonder. ;-)

cheers

oz, who got almost all his seeds from Baker Creek

Charlie, who got almost all his there too!

The May 4-5 planting festival there will be a hoot. I can't go
Sunday, but will be there pickin', singin', and browsin' Monday.

cheers

oz

Old 24-04-2008, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

MajorOz wrote in

oups.com:

Will saved seeds from hybrids produce?

well, yes, but... you won't get anything like the hybrid
parent. the resulting plants may be like their grandparents,
or maybe not. IOW, if you plant seeds from a hybrid leek,
you'll get some sort of a leek, but it may have undesirable
traits, like susceptability to disease or slow growth, small
size, bland flavor... (or they could be really good)

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 26-04-2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 24, 2:44 pm, enigma wrote:
MajorOz wrote
oups.com:

Will saved seeds from hybrids produce?

well, yes, but... you won't get anything like the hybrid
parent. the resulting plants may be like their grandparents,
or maybe not. IOW, if you plant seeds from a hybrid leek,
you'll get some sort of a leek, but it may have undesirable
traits, like susceptability to disease or slow growth, small
size, bland flavor... (or they could be really good)

I have been messing about with roses for only a few years, and three
years ago got some cheapie ones late in the season. They were nice
and filled out a bed of other flowers. That winter, my inexperience
and their poor quality combined to have them freeze. My friend, who
is somewhat of an expert, told me to:
1. buy better roses
2. prune, mulch, etc and take care of them
I ignored what appeared to be dead roots that year.

A year later, from the (what he called) Chinese root stock, beautiful
copper colored roses sprung. They have produced every since.

Sometimes, nice surprises happen.

Anyhow, thanx for the answer.

cheers

oz
Old 26-04-2008, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

MajorOz wrote in

ups.com:

Sometimes, nice surprises happen.

especially with roses...
i have one that came with the house, & i was pretty busy &
distracted when i first moved here (old house, pregnancy at
47, you know, things get hectic) so i didn't prune or mulch it
the first couple years. now it blooms pink in June & then from
mid-July to frost it blooms dark red. one of those is the
rootstock

lee