Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 10:13:05 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.

That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!
--

Oh dear me......carp is our absolutlyist favoritist fish for plate!!

Bony yes, *but* skinned and properly scored and lightly dusted and
scores lightly packed with flour/cornmeal and deep fried.....oh my.

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

The scoring of the flesh is *the* key to proper carp. Scoring, for
those who aren't familiar, is running your *very* sharp knife from
backbone down perpendiculary to the bellyside, cutting thru all the
tiny bones, but not the ribs, or cutting clear thru the fish. From
head to tail. You score as closely as possible, no more than 1/8 in
apart. You can feel all the little hairbones being cut. Deep frying
then reduces the tiny bones to nothing, though one still must exercise
the usual caution when eating fish.

Can you fillet them?

Oh lordy, Charlie and Mrs. Charlie are looking forward to fresh carp,
coleslaw and fried taters and cornbread....just your mention of carp
has me salivating like Pavlov's pup......

Charlie

Definitely have to re-asses. :-) Some people around here dump their
"used" goldfish in the local river and they get HUGE.
I live in a college town.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 05-05-2008, 05:32 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or
so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp.
Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil
for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat
rocks.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:48 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or
so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp.
Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil
for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat
rocks.

;-D

Thanks for the chuckle!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 4 May 2008 21:55:26 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or
so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp.
Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil
for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat
rocks.

yeah yeah yeah.....similar to the old put a carp on a cedar plank and
bake for thirty minutes then toss the carp and eat the plank. ;-)

Seriously, if you ever had a proper carp, you would sing a different
song. :-)

Betcha never ate gar either. Easy and better'n you would think.

Care
Charlie

We have alligator gar around here. I've noted that many fisherman toss
them on the bank.

I've never caught one. Might consider spear fishing for one. I'm not
convinced an average fishing line would hold one with those teeth!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:26 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

yeah yeah yeah.....similar to the old put a carp on a cedar plank and
bake for thirty minutes then toss the carp and eat the plank. ;-)

Seriously, if you ever had a proper carp, you would sing a different
song. :-)

Betcha never ate gar either. Easy and better'n you would think.

Care
Charlie

Hehehehe.... seriously, though, I'll eat almost anything, and if I could
find someone to fix me a nice carp, I'd eat it right down. Gar too. :-)

Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

And I wonderin' if 'en there isn't somethin' more wonderful than
someone who will listen to what is bein' said.
Thanks for bein' there.
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html
Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

And I wonderin' if 'en there isn't somethin' more wonderful than
someone who will listen to what is bein' said.
Thanks for bein' there.

That's what I get for not reading the entire post before replying. g
I was not fully awake yet. ;-)

Sorry!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:33 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

Can you fillet them?

Nope. After you cut off the heads and tails and fins and gut 'em, use
a pair of pliers (catfish skinning pliars work well) and pull the skin
off. Not tearing of chunks of meat is a good idea. ;-) After you
score them, and score them deep, both sides...cut them in 4-5 in
chunks...the tail piece is the best, IMO.

Ah nevermind. I missed reading this the first time...
Sounds a lot like preparing catfish except those are not scored.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:33:28 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Can you fillet them?

Nope. After you cut off the heads and tails and fins and gut 'em, use
a pair of pliers (catfish skinning pliars work well) and pull the skin
off. Not tearing of chunks of meat is a good idea. ;-) After you
score them, and score them deep, both sides...cut them in 4-5 in
chunks...the tail piece is the best, IMO.

Ah nevermind. I missed reading this the first time...
Sounds a lot like preparing catfish except those are not scored.
--

Yep. It is pretty quick after you get the hang of it.

BTW....if so inclined, both the roe sacs (female) and milt sacs (male)
are good eating...awfully rich, in particular the carp nuts. We
hillbillys like our oysters of any sorts. ;-)

Charlie

I've eaten roe sacks but have not tried milt sacks.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:34 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

They'll sometimes go for
nightcrawlers, but prefer sweet. I've also had good luck with anise
flavored bait. Big time fun in England.

I have _tons_ of red wrigglers living in my back yard!