Old 08-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Registered User

Cool Snails

I have a problem with snails and I was told broken egg shells. Also that there is a wire I can use

ROSEMARIE
Old 08-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSEMARIE View Post
I have a problem with snails and I was told broken egg shells. Also that there is a wire I can use

ROSEMARIE
Try getting a snail catcher
Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Snails

In article ,
ROSEMARIE wrote:

I have a problem with snails and I was told broken egg shells. Also that
there is a wire I can use

ROSEMARIE

You can use egg shells, diatomaceous earth, wood ashes, drown them
in beer, or make the midnight rounds with a flash light (torch in
your part of the world). Your best bet is to get a bait with iron
phosphate in it (iron is a necessary element for human health and
phosphate is important to the garden), or nematodes
(Google: "garden, snails, nematodes") or check a nursery near you.
--

Billy
Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/8/2008 9:27 AM, ROSEMARIE wrote:
I have a problem with snails and I was told broken egg shells. Also that
there is a wire I can use

ROSEMARIE

I bought a small spool of thin copper wire. I wrap this three times
around certain flower pots that have plants that attract snails. I also
wrapped it around the trunk of a tangelo (citrus that is a cross between
pomelo and tangerine) in a way that allows the trunk to grow and expand
without the wire cutting into the bark. (The snails in California find
citrus bark to be a special treat. They can kill a mature tree by
eating all around the trunk and girdling the tree.)

For my garden in general, I use carnivorous decollate snails. I don't
know if decollates will prey on the snails in your area. Also,
decollates are not allowed in some areas because they might prey on
native endangered snails. See
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r107500111.html for details about
decollates and also about ways to control the snails that destroy our
gardens.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Eggshells have worked for me.

I've also heard they don't like hair .

Old 09-05-2008, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 9, 5:23*am, Laura at theGardenPages
wrote:
Eggshells have worked for me.

I've also heard they don't like hair .

Ammonia and water in a hand sprayer works well
for me. Whenever I see them I give them a shot with
the sprayer and they roll up and die.
Cheers,
Monty in Michigan
Old 10-05-2008, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
. ..
On 5/8/2008 9:27 AM, ROSEMARIE wrote:
I have a problem with snails and I was told broken egg shells. Also that
there is a wire I can use

ROSEMARIE

I bought a small spool of thin copper wire. I wrap this three times
around certain flower pots that have plants that attract snails. I also
wrapped it around the trunk of a tangelo (citrus that is a cross between
pomelo and tangerine) in a way that allows the trunk to grow and expand
without the wire cutting into the bark.

Like in http://www.myalbum.com/Album=P8UNJE4H ?

Mike

Old 10-05-2008, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2008 2:05 AM, 'Mike' wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message
. ..
On 5/8/2008 9:27 AM, ROSEMARIE wrote:
I have a problem with snails and I was told broken egg shells. Also that
there is a wire I can use

ROSEMARIE

I bought a small spool of thin copper wire. I wrap this three times
around certain flower pots that have plants that attract snails. I also
wrapped it around the trunk of a tangelo (citrus that is a cross between
pomelo and tangerine) in a way that allows the trunk to grow and expand
without the wire cutting into the bark.

Like in http://www.myalbum.com/Album=P8UNJE4H ?

Mike

That's nasty!

The trunk of my tangelo is less than 2 inches in diameter. I took a
length of wire and folded it in half and then folded it in half again.
Leaving a loop at the second fold, I twisted the wire to make a shorter
four-strand length (about 1 ft). Starting at the top of a section of
trunk, I wrapped the wire once around the trunk and ran it through the
loop at the second fold and then continued wrapping the wire snugly
around the trunk in a downward spiral, leaving the bottom end free just
above the soil. The copper retains that spiral even though it is not
fastened at the bottom.

I check the wire whenever I feed the tangelo, about every three weeks.
If it does not slide easily (especially at the top where it is threaded
through the loop), I loosen it. I made the spiral long enough that I
can indeed increase the diameter without having to add more wire. The
tree is a dwarf, and I don't expect it will ever outgrow the existing
wire.

I've read that citrus orchards use strips of copper sheeting around the
trees. A strip is fastened to the trunk at one end and then wrapped
1-1/2 or twice around the trunk, again leaving the end free for the tree
to grow. Alternatively, thin copper foil can be fastened at both ends;
it will tear if the trunk grows too large and not girdle the trunk.
Then, the foil must be replaced.

Locally, the citrus orchards in Ventura County (where I live) are using
the decollate snails quite successfully and have ceased using poison
bait or copper barriers. Lemons are a major crop here, with much of the
crop being exported to Asia. Oranges, avocados, and other crops (tree,
vine, and annual) also use the decollate snails.

I have to re-establish the decollate population in my back yard. They
were severely impacted by the lack of moisture and the movement of
grading equipment when my hill was repaired last summer. I saw a brown
snail just this morning.