Old 26-05-2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Chanticleer Gardens

I live within a half hour drive of the world famous Longwood Gardens. Folks
come from all over the world to see the grounds and the wonderful
conservatory/greenhouse. But it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I
came across Chanticleer (http://www.chanticleergarden.org), which, to me, is
far more interesting.

This 35-acre estate has been transformed into a fascinating study of varied
venues and plant combinations. Open fields, forests, densely shadowed
stream, water features, and flowers, flowers, flowers everywhere. The master
house is a study of floral accents (its circular drive is lined with thick
hydrangeas, regrettably not yet in bloom), in stark contrast to the ruins,
which present a wholly different horticultural gamesmanship.

Take a walk through the estate with my new Canon 17-40mm L lens at:
http://www.tfrog.com/digitals/flash/chant/chant1.htm - three pages of
photos.

I was looking for ideas for my pine-dominated Meditation Walk, and found
some interesting options. Now if only I could get Chanticleer's grounds crew
out to my home for a day...

dwight
www.tfrog.com

Old 26-05-2008, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi Dwight,

You are entirely right about Chanticleer and Longwood. However, for
those of us near Philadelphia, these are just of the few great gardens
we have near us. Some of the best a

Andalusia, http://www.andalusiapa.org/ ($10, reservations required)

Bartram's Garden, http://www.bartramsgarden.org/ (free)

Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve, http://www.bhwp.org/ ($5)

Bryn Athyn Cathedral Gardens, http://www.brynathyncathedral.org/ (free)

Chanticleer Garden, http://www.chanticleergarden.org/ ($10)

Delaware Center for Horticulture, http://www.dehort.org/ (free)

Gibraltar, http://www.preservationde.org/gibraltar/ (free)

Grounds for Sculpture, http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/ ($10)

Hagley Museum, http://www.hagley.lib.de.us/ ($11)

Hortulus Farm Gardens, http://www.hortulusfarm.com/ ($12)

Japanese Garden and House: Shofuso, http://www.shofuso.com/ ($6)

Jenkins Arboretum, http://www.jenkinsarboretum.org/ (free)

Longwood Gardens, http://www.longwoodgardens.org/ ($16)

Meadowbrook Farm, http://www.meadowbrookfarm.org/ ($ by appointment)

Morris Arboretum, http://www.upenn.edu/arboretum ($10)

Mt. Cuba Center, http://www.mtcubacenter.org/ ($5, reservations
required)

Nemours Mansion and Garden, http://www.nemours.org/mansion.html ($?)

Scott Arboretum, http://www.scottarboretum.org/ (free)

Temple University Ambler Landscape Arboretum,
http://www.temple.edu/ambler/arboretum/ (free)

Tyler Arboretum, http://www.tylerarboretum.org/ ($5)

West Laurel Hill Cemetery, http://www.forever-care.com (free)

Winterthur, http://www.winterthur.org/ (garden tram, $15)

Wyck, http://www.wyck.org/ ($5)

The admission fees are the straight adult fees. Often, senior and
children fees also apply. See website for details.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html

Old 26-05-2008, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Impressive list! I've only been to a handful of these, and will have to
check out the others.

And, GET OUT! Azaleas are rhododendrons?!? I had no idea.

dwight