Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Banana: R.I.P.

http://www.the-scientist.com/news/display/54710/

The banana we eat today is not the one your grandparents ate. That one -
known as the Gros Michel - was, by all accounts, bigger, tastier, and
hardier than the variety we know and love, which is called the
Cavendish. The unavailability of the Gros Michel is easily explained: it
is virtually extinct.

Introduced to our hemisphere in the late 19th century, the Gros Michel
was almost immediately hit by a blight that wiped it out by 1960. The
Cavendish was adopted at the last minute by the big banana companies -
Chiquita and Dole - because it was resistant to that blight, a fungus
known as Panama disease. For the past fifty years, all has been quiet in
the banana world. Until now.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org/
Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

http://www.the-scientist.com/news/display/54710/

The banana we eat today is not the one your grandparents ate. That one -
known as the Gros Michel - was, by all accounts, bigger, tastier, and
hardier than the variety we know and love, which is called the
Cavendish. The unavailability of the Gros Michel is easily explained: it
is virtually extinct.

Introduced to our hemisphere in the late 19th century, the Gros Michel
was almost immediately hit by a blight that wiped it out by 1960. The
Cavendish was adopted at the last minute by the big banana companies -
Chiquita and Dole - because it was resistant to that blight, a fungus
known as Panama disease. For the past fifty years, all has been quiet in
the banana world. Until now.

"Now, the future of the Cavendish lies in genetic engineering."

Uh-huh. I hope this doesn't give Monsanto any ideas(
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/2/08 11:34 PM, in article ,
"Charlie" Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 08:41:05 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article
,
Bill wrote:

http://www.the-scientist.com/news/display/54710/

The banana we eat today is not the one your grandparents ate. That one -
known as the Gros Michel - was, by all accounts, bigger, tastier, and
hardier than the variety we know and love, which is called the
Cavendish. The unavailability of the Gros Michel is easily explained: it
is virtually extinct.

Introduced to our hemisphere in the late 19th century, the Gros Michel
was almost immediately hit by a blight that wiped it out by 1960. The
Cavendish was adopted at the last minute by the big banana companies -
Chiquita and Dole - because it was resistant to that blight, a fungus
known as Panama disease. For the past fifty years, all has been quiet in
the banana world. Until now.

"Now, the future of the Cavendish lies in genetic engineering."

Uh-huh. I hope this doesn't give Monsanto any ideas(

Feh.....patooiee.......ever wonder how many plagues are engineered
and/or spread in the first place to give credence and support to the
solution?

Charlie

"Truth is so rare that it is delightful to tell it."
~~Emily Dickinson

Or by people trying to get around the rules to prevent such things....

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Bill wrote:

[...]

?????? Not quite sure I catch your banter ;-) But I got a bit o' time
to lean on the fence and and have a chin wag. I never was a fan
of Ayn Rand but then I had a bad reaction to southern California
politics behind the "Orange Curtain" (Orange County: back in the days of
mushroom clouds, they would let us out of school to go listen to Mister
Schwartzs' anti-Communism rants, when restricted neighborhoods meant no
Jews). But I digress . . .

I don't think the "kid" was talking about plagues of the medical sorts,
specifically. We've had other plagues, most recently, they seem to swirl
around President Monkey Smirk. (I know it is an infantile thing to do
but there isn't anything I can do to him except show my contempt of him.)

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism
by Naomi Klein
http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctrine...sm/dp/08050798
31/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IDKFZWP1O8IH2&colid=19 2RJQESPJJJQ

I haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet but I've heard her speak of
it.

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.ca
Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine advances a truly unnerving argument:
historically, while people were reeling from natural disasters, wars and
economic upheavals, savvy politicians and industry leaders nefariously
implemented policies that would never have passed during less muddled
times. As Klein demonstrates, this reprehensible game of bait-and-switch
isn't just some relic from the bad old days. It's alive and well in
contemporary society, and coming soon to a disaster area near you.

"At the most chaotic juncture in Iraq'' civil war, a new law is unveiled
that will allow Shell and BP to claim the country's vast oil reserves...
Immediately following September 11, the Bush Administration quietly
outsources the running of the 'War on Terror' to Halliburton and
Blackwater... After a tsunami wipes out the coasts of Southeast Asia, the
pristine beaches are auctioned off to tourist resorts... New Orleans
residents, scattered from Hurricane Katrina, discover that their public
housing, hospitals and schools will never be re-opened." Klein not only
kicks butt, she names names, notably economist Milton Friedman and his
radical Chicago School of the 1950s and 60s which she notes "produced
many of the leading neo-conservative and neo-liberal thinkers whose
influence is still profound in Washington today." Stand up and take a
bow, Donald Rumsfeld.

The predatory behavior incompasses the taking advantage of natural
disasters to, the subject at hand, the creation of the disasters
themselves with the subsequent depredation being planned in advance.

Ayn Rand believes in selfishness for the individual to express
themselves but some actions must be hidden as they are too
reprehensible and pop up like Nietzsche's gnome at the side of
the "superman".
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars