Old 21-02-2003, 10:39 PM
animaux

Default Vacation Watering Half Barrels

Don't you have a neighbor who could water them? I babysit my neighbors dog when
they go away on vacations, and they babysit our gardens! Fair trade, as the dog
is my "therapy dog." Such a cute little velveteen pooch.

On 21 Feb 2003 12:55:01 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

I want to grow blueberries in half barrels this season, but will
probably be on vacation a good deal this summer, and won't be around
to water them every couple of days. Any suggestions on how to keep
them moist? I've seen devices for tomato plants, which resemble liter
bottles turned upside down, delivering a slow trickle of water. Would
a few of these per barrel do the trick?

Old 22-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Marley1372

Get a soaker hose and a cheap timer. You hook them both up to your outdoor
hose bib and set the timer to go off as needed while you are gone. You can get
both for under 30 bucks at any garden center.

Toad
Old 23-02-2003, 12:03 AM
GrampysGurl

The little beads in diapers help retain water when mixed in the soil.
Old 23-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Fleemo

I've got my raised beds on automated drip lines, so I'll try running a
line from that over to the half barrels, see if that works. Be a lot
of work diggin' up the lines and patching into 'em, but it'll be worth
the effort in the long run.

Thanks for the input here folks.

Old 23-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Tim B

Also ... there's an interesting product called Soil Moist
http://www.soilmoist.com/ that you can put in containers to reduce the
watering need. Not good for root vegetables but would seem to be good in
general.

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I've got my raised beds on automated drip lines, so I'll try running a
line from that over to the half barrels, see if that works. Be a lot
of work diggin' up the lines and patching into 'em, but it'll be worth
the effort in the long run.

Thanks for the input here folks.

[IMG] code is On

Half Apricot and Half Plum grafted tree -- Growers in Southern California ?? Time2Live Gardening 1 10-01-2005 10:23 PM
Half Apricot and Half Plum grafted tree -- Growers in Southern California ?? Time2Live Edible Gardening 1 10-01-2005 10:23 PM
Half Wine Barrels Pete United Kingdom 5 15-05-2003 10:44 PM
Vacation Watering Half Barrels Fleemo Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:16 PM
Vacation Watering Half Barrels Fleemo Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM