Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cutting back Honeysuckle

Gladiobean wrote:
Can I trim back my Honeysuckle at this time of year and can I take
cuttings, if so what is the method I should employ, thanks in
anticipation

Don't see why you can't cut it back at least moderately now -- I whack away
at mine whenever it threatens to depart the pergola and attack the house
and it doesn't seem to have suffered. Haven't tried it but green wood
cuttings should take relatively easily. The routine of stripping the first
couple of leaves from the bottom of the cutting, dipping in rooting
hormone, and then potting up in a damp medium will likely work. I'm sure
that there are online descriptions of how to do it.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 12-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire

Old 13-06-2008, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 12, 2:20 pm, Gladiobean
wrote:

Can I trim back my Honeysuckle at this time of year and can I take
cuttings, if so what is the method I should employ, thanks in
anticipation

Gladiobean,

Fear not. Hack away anytime you want. The more you cut/trim it the
more it grows.

Patrick

Old 13-06-2008, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
On Jun 12, 2:20 pm, Gladiobean
wrote:

Can I trim back my Honeysuckle at this time of year and can I take
cuttings, if so what is the method I should employ, thanks in
anticipation

Gladiobean,

Fear not. Hack away anytime you want. The more you cut/trim it the
more it grows.

Patrick

Let's elaborate on this a bit - I have a stand of honeysuckle that is about
6-7 feet tall, maybe 4 feet across. It is more dead then alive, IOW the
middle of it is old growth, and the outside is nice and green. I want to
hack it off at about 1 foot high to get rid of all of the dead growth. Can I
cut it back this much?

Old 13-06-2008, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Zootal" wrote in message

Let's elaborate on this a bit - I have a stand of honeysuckle that is
about 6-7 feet tall, maybe 4 feet across. It is more dead then alive, IOW
the middle of it is old growth, and the outside is nice and green. I want
to hack it off at about 1 foot high to get rid of all of the dead growth.
Can I cut it back this much?

I had a honeysuckle that was already growing along the fence and up a garage
wall of the house I'd bought. It was a mess, lots of bare and dead tangled
stuff. After two fruitless years of trying to get it looking half ways
decent with careful pruning I just decided to hack it right off at the
ground, and this was in July. I honestly thought I'd killed it, didn't do a
thing the rest of the year, no watering, no fertilizer. That next spring it
sprung up and grew beautifully. Then I was able to keep on top of the
situation. I say hack it off. If you do kill it, which is highly unlikely,
the plants are cheap, you can start again.

Val