Old 17-06-2008, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default compost pile questions

On Jun 14, 9:37 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
A couple questions about my compost piles (plural) if you will.

How often do you water them?

Never. I don't turn them, either. The bugs and
other myriad critters taking up residence do a
better job than I ever could.

I'm in no great hurry to use the compost -- the ingredients
I pile up now to make "lasagne" won't be touched for another
2, 3 years, by which time, it's the best potting soil I've ever
run my fingers through.

How long would you expect a tree branch to take to degrade? Normally I
don't put wood in with my compost, but the occasional fallen limb (less than
3/4" diameter) makes it in there. But some of those limbs have been in
there for a couple years without any outward indication of decomposition -
even when surrounded by fully decomposted grass, dandilions, and shrubs.

Pull them out before using the compost. Absolutely not a problem.

[IMG] code is On

compost pile questions [email protected] Gardening 0 14-06-2008 05:16 PM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Lawns 1 22-02-2003 01:27 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Gardening 2 20-02-2003 04:27 AM