Old 14-06-2008, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default compost pile questions

A couple questions about my compost piles (plural) if you will.

How often do you water them? I've noticed that with all the heavy rain I've
been getting lately that the clippings have composted rather quickly and
into some rather nice soil. All that makes me wonder if I'm not watering
the piles enough - as in I don't letting rain do that. I do turn my compost
piles, that's why I have two.

How long would you expect a tree branch to take to degrade? Normally I
don't put wood in with my compost, but the occasional fallen limb (less than
3/4" diameter) makes it in there. But some of those limbs have been in
there for a couple years without any outward indication of decomposition -
even when surrounded by fully decomposted grass, dandilions, and shrubs.

Old 14-06-2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/14/2008 6:37 AM, Eigenvector wrote:
A couple questions about my compost piles (plural) if you will.

How often do you water them? I've noticed that with all the heavy rain I've
been getting lately that the clippings have composted rather quickly and
into some rather nice soil. All that makes me wonder if I'm not watering
the piles enough - as in I don't letting rain do that. I do turn my compost
piles, that's why I have two.

I don't water mine often enough. They should be watered enough to keep
them really moist in the center. If you find dry matter when you turn
them, you need to water more.

How long would you expect a tree branch to take to degrade? Normally I
don't put wood in with my compost, but the occasional fallen limb (less than
3/4" diameter) makes it in there. But some of those limbs have been in
there for a couple years without any outward indication of decomposition -
even when surrounded by fully decomposted grass, dandilions, and shrubs.

A 3/4" branch is real wood. It can take many years to decompose.
Buried wood more than 1,000 years old is often found during
archaeological digs.

My compost is actually leaf mold, consisting of about 90% dead leaves.
When I have my red fescue lawn mowed (about once or twice a year), I
have the lawn service add a small batch of grass clippings.

When I have my trees trimmed (about once in three years), I have the
tree service save a barrel of chipped branches for me; I slowly add the
chips to my compost pile. The problem with branches is that the outer
bark can inhibit composting. In my case, the branches are chipped,
exposing the center of the branches.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 14-06-2008, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 06:37:44 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

A couple questions about my compost piles (plural) if you will.

How often do you water them? I've noticed that with all the heavy rain I've
been getting lately that the clippings have composted rather quickly and
into some rather nice soil. All that makes me wonder if I'm not watering
the piles enough - as in I don't letting rain do that. I do turn my compost
piles, that's why I have two.

Keep the compost pile moist, not wet and not too dry, almost like
taking care of a typical house plant. Having at least a cubic yard of
material makes it work better, otherwise it may dry out too quickly.
If your rain gauge indicates 1" per week, that's about right and no
additional water is needed.

How long would you expect a tree branch to take to degrade? Normally I
don't put wood in with my compost, but the occasional fallen limb (less than
3/4" diameter) makes it in there. But some of those limbs have been in
there for a couple years without any outward indication of decomposition -
even when surrounded by fully decomposted grass, dandilions, and shrubs.

Limbs are too thick for typical composting and some may take years to
fully decompose. Put branches through a chipper/shredder and use them
for mulch. Some fresh sawdust (or small chips) can be added to a
compost, but use sparingly. White oak, cedar, redwood, teak, and
cyprus are decay resistant.
Old 15-06-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for the responses, from the sounds of it I'm not watering it
enough during a "normal" summer.

As for the wood, I can live with a fossil in the dirt. If they get too
obnoxious I can always hack them up, but one or two branches - eh no biggie.

Just a side note - does anyone in the US have to worry about teak branches
falling? (just kidding, I realize Usenet isn't only for Americans).

Old 15-06-2008, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
A couple questions about my compost piles (plural) if you will.

How often do you water them? I've noticed that with all the heavy rain
I've been getting lately that the clippings have composted rather quickly
and into some rather nice soil. All that makes me wonder if I'm not
watering the piles enough - as in I don't letting rain do that. I do turn
my compost piles, that's why I have two.

How long would you expect a tree branch to take to degrade? Normally I
don't put wood in with my compost, but the occasional fallen limb (less
than 3/4" diameter) makes it in there. But some of those limbs have been
in there for a couple years without any outward indication of
decomposition - even when surrounded by fully decomposted grass,
dandilions, and shrubs.

Such branches, if hardwood, can be used for kindling instead. Kindling
should be kept very dry. Just another way to reduce petroleum product
usage. That is, BBQ starting fluid.
--
Dave

Old 15-06-2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 15, 12:32*am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
[...]

I'm stripping off the leaves and using the branches to "basket weave"
around several posts to hide the pile.
Old 15-06-2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Petroleum products are fossil fuels. That refers to the fact the
source of fossil fuels is plant matter from the Carboniferous era.

Burning wood has a really high carbon footprint- higher than natural
gas, I bet.

Better to let it decompose slowly and keep the carbon sequestered for
as long as possible.

Chris
Old 16-06-2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
says...
A couple questions about my compost piles (plural) if you will.

How often do you water them? I've noticed that with all the heavy rain I've
been getting lately that the clippings have composted rather quickly and
into some rather nice soil. All that makes me wonder if I'm not watering
the piles enough - as in I don't letting rain do that. I do turn my compost
piles, that's why I have two.

I have a bucket in the kitchen for scraps, so I add at least a
couple of litres (equals a half gallon) before I dump it in to
one compost bin, about every two days.

The other bin - full and aging - gets about the same.

Often, I will use urine instead of water.

How long would you expect a tree branch to take to degrade? Normally I
don't put wood in with my compost, but the occasional fallen limb (less than
3/4" diameter) makes it in there. But some of those limbs have been in
there for a couple years without any outward indication of decomposition -
even when surrounded by fully decomposted grass, dandilions, and shrubs.

It is important to chop limbs and branches into smaller pieces.
That makes more surface area to the material. Also, some of
those pieces can end up being included when I mix the compost
into my beds, and it isn't a problem (like a whole branch would
be.)

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 16-06-2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Chris" wrote in message
Burning wood has a really high carbon footprint- higher than natural
gas, I bet.

That would depend entirely on the stove in which one is burning.
Some of the newer EPA rated stoves are quite stingy with their emissions.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 16-06-2008, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 15, 10:07 pm, "Buderschnookie" wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

Burning wood has a really high carbon footprint- higher than natural
gas, I bet.

That would depend entirely on the stove in which one is burning.
Some of the newer EPA rated stoves are quite stingy with their emissions.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky
USDA Zone 6bhttp://www.cearbhaill.com

That's pretty cool- I was not aware of that. Do they have some kind of
carbon scrubber?

Chris

Old 16-06-2008, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

You may be right "green-wise".

Its quite common here in S. TX for people to use the same old charcoal
briquet BBQ pit. Most use excess amounts of lighter fluid to light off the
briquets, if they aren't using the matchless type of briquet. That was some
coaxing from my part to use available kindling instead.

Living in an all-electric home, and the natural external temperature being
usually high, I find it more efficient not to cook in the house. Eating out
is usually expensive at the very least, not including the carbon produced by
the automobile to get the place and home again, and money out pocket to pay
for that gasoline. I have free access to oak cut to proper length for a BBQ
pit, and kindling. Weighing the fact that the AC electric to carry off the
kitchen stove heat and stove electric both provided by a coal-fired
electrical plant against my burning oak is nulled out in terms of carbon.
Plus the fact I don't have pay for that electricity as a result as I'm not
using it.

I am inclined to use the kitchen stove in the winter for obvious reverse
reasons as the external temperture is adequate to make use of it, and help
heat the house.
--
Dave

Old 16-06-2008, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Chris" wrote in message
That would depend entirely on the stove in which one is burning.
Some of the newer EPA rated stoves are quite stingy with their emissions.

That's pretty cool- I was not aware of that. Do they have some kind of
carbon scrubber?

Some of them recirculate the gasses to burn a second time and others have
catalytic converters.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 16-06-2008, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Buderschnookie" wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
That would depend entirely on the stove in which one is burning.
Some of the newer EPA rated stoves are quite stingy with their emissions.

That's pretty cool- I was not aware of that. Do they have some kind of
carbon scrubber?

Some of them recirculate the gasses to burn a second time and others have
catalytic converters.

I've used a Catalytic converter on a Efel Belgian wood stove. Heated
our 1600 Sq. foot home nicely for about 10 years 20 years ago. After
about 4 years they go bad. Wear out.

BUT...

The wood stove became more of a furnace. Crank it up to 1400 F and
then shut it down (The damper). I may be wrong about that temperature
as it has been awhile.

Good points.

1) A load will go overnight even in a small stove.
2) Creosote is burned up so a cool chimney doesnąt present a chimney
fire. Especially if you have a outside or cold chimney.
3) Smoke particles are reduced. Read no smoke but gases go up and some
think the gas with out a particle will not fall down. (Industry
installed bag filters to reduce the smoky emissions but the gases still
went up. Controversial .)
4) FOUR cords of wood will give the heat of SIX.

Bad points .

1) This baby is real hot I fenced it off with wire to prevent kids from
touching it.
2) Subtle build up a light layer of gray dust can build up clogging the
flue. This thing looks like a ceramic bee hive. I'd vacuum the device
once a month to reduce the chance of Carbon monoxide. I'd get a CO
alarm too.

Bill who heats with Natural Gas.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Book "Our Media Not Theirs" Many Stars
Old 16-06-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
"Buderschnookie" wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

If this is anything like the ceramic stove I had in a house in the
Alsace, it is wonderful. A couple of pages of a newspaper, would heat
the entire room.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 16-06-2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Chris wrote:

Burning wood has a really high carbon footprint- higher than natural
gas, I bet.

No. Natural gas and fossil fuel are already sequestered
(underground) and out of the biosphere. Burning them,
reintroduces them back into the biosphere, increasing the
existing pool of carbon.

Burning cellulose (wood) simply cycles existing carbon dioxide
that already exists in the biosphere (CO2 -- plants --- fire or
decomposition -- CO2). We can shift the distribution of
biosphere's pool of carbon (by growing forests or burning them),
CO2 --- cellulose (plants) but the size of the pool stays the
same.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

[IMG] code is On

compost pile questions [email protected] Gardening 0 14-06-2008 05:16 PM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Lawns 1 22-02-2003 01:27 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Gardening 2 20-02-2003 04:27 AM