Old 23-06-2008, 11:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Very productive day in the garden

I limbed up my hemlock. I (with some help from DS, age 15) took down a pine
that really needed to go and DD ( 9) helped take down two oak branches that
were shading the bed. Lots more light getting in and a spot for bright shade
lovers.

Weeding is complete for the moment, all the chipmunk holes filled in, a
bunch of things divided and already in new homes and. I need to move or
divide some of the daylilies, but that will wait for bloom season to be
over.

I started edging it, but the rains came.

Cheryl

Old 24-06-2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 23, 3:18 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
I limbed up my hemlock. I (with some help from DS, age 15) took down a pine
that really needed to go and DD ( 9) helped take down two oak branches that
were shading the bed. Lots more light getting in and a spot for bright shade
lovers.

Weeding is complete for the moment, all the chipmunk holes filled in, a
bunch of things divided and already in new homes and. I need to move or
divide some of the daylilies, but that will wait for bloom season to be
over.

I started edging it, but the rains came.

Cheryl

Cheryl
Great accomplishment. You have some wonderful kids!

There has not been much gardening here in Nor Cal for over a week.
We were camping and came home on Fri the 13th to a valley filled with
smoke. Huge fire in Paradise, which quickly made Paradise into Hell.
( we knew not about the fire as we are incommunicado when we camp)
75 homes burned, at one time 9000 people evacuated. 23,000 acres
burned. Fire contained by Wednesday, and the smoke cleared.
So I got out quickly and got some deadheading and weeding done in
the next couple of days. Hot: in the low 100s.

Late Friday the 20 and Saturday we had a terrific lightning storm
which
had no rain and hundreds of fires were ignited. On Sunday I went
hiking
with a group and on the way home we counted 7 fire plumes to the north
27 fires in Butte County alone.
Many fires are just being allowed to burn as there are no buildings
nearby.
Now the towns of Magalia and Concow are being evacuated, and the
smoke is intense here, advised to stay indoors as much as possible. We
could not see the sun at all today, Temps in the 90s
And it s still only June, the fire lookouts are not usually even
manned until
the last week of June: this is going to be some summer!

Emilie
NorCal
Old 24-06-2008, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

[...]

Thunder storms ignited over 100 fires in Northern California his last
week-end. I'm at least 100 miles from the nearest fire and the sky was
full of smoke today. We've 85% of normal rain fall but have had little
rain since March and as a result there are a lot of dry weeds, waiting
for a spark. Normally, we don't have rain from May to October.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 24-06-2008, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/23/08 10:07 PM, in article
,
"mleblanca" wrote:

[...]

Those sound so very scary Emilie. It rained here yesterday but the lightning
started a few small fires. (no doubt huge to those whose houses were hit,
but small in scale to yours.)

Cheryl

Old 24-06-2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

[...]

Make that 842 fires from Monterey to the Oregon border. Nearest fire to
me is to the east on the Napa-Solano county line.

Good morning America, you got choices, floods or fires.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 25-06-2008, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 24, 3:33 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 6/23/08 10:07 PM, in article

Those sound so very scary Emilie. It rained here yesterday but the lightning
started a few small fires. (no doubt huge to those whose houses were hit,
but small in scale to yours.)

Cheryl

As Billy said, over 800 fires in Nor Cal. Some of the smaller ones
have burned
themselves out, but the major ones are still uncontrolled. Smoke this
am:
visibility one mile, but by noon it was more like 100yards! No winds,
which is
good because the fire doesn't spread rapidly, but smoke is so thick
that the air tankers
can't get in to drop retardant. Fires are in very rugged terrain, in
small
unincorporated communities in the lower mtns/foothills. No municipal
water
supply for fighting fires, just individual wells. Water must be
brought by fire truck
tankers, or by helicopters picked up in huge "buckets" from nearby
lakes, rivers.
Canyons are so steep that no access is possible, it is really a
miracle that the
firefighters are able to control these things. Add to that the fact
that lower than
normal rainfall, and then very unusual winds in April May and June
(wind generally
in pretty well over by March)

Well, in the garden I have picked tomatoes already, June 14, earliest
in 25 years,
am picking apricots, figs, and zucchini, with Walla Walla onions
already harvested
and ready to eat. Babcock peaches are coloring up for early July.
I, too have daylilies to divide, sometime. Cannas, roses, cone
flowers, larkspur,
Shasta daisies, and I also have goldenrod in bloom, Cheryl. I love it
and so do bees
and butterflies. There seems to be a population explosion of W. Tiger
Swallowtails
this June.

98 degrees today
Emilie
NorCal
Old 25-06-2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

[...]

Fortunately, only 85F locally with 2 miles visibility (smoke). Nearest
fire is 60 miles away. At least there isn't much in the way of nitrogen
oxides, just soot particles. Nitrogen oxides are what eat the tires off
of SUVs. Grew up in southern California, at least as much as anyone
does, and this is a walk in the park.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars