Old 24-06-2008, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Happy post Solstice

Happy post Solstice to all my friends over the back fence.....
Maddie here, just hanging over the foliage in the dry heat. Anyone
got any sweet iced tea? I need to make another gallon myself......I
go through it like water. Since I last poked me head in, the beans
are now deffinately twinning around the very long cane poles FINALLY
and the lonen cuke is showing signs of taking off and needing it's own
pole soon. 12 leaves on the rhubarb, radishes appear to be more
carroty in appearances, but they'll do, and with this heat, will pack
a heat all their own.The nasturtiums have finally started cranking out
flowers. I was almost disappointed with the colors until the darker
red ones started showing up. James will enjoy the spicy leaves in his
salad, and despite that I'd like to toss in some flowers to the salad,
he wants the seeds for pickling....I shoulda planted more, eh?
I got tired of the lack of success of the burgundy okra in the peat
pots and sowed three seeds per finger poke and have noticed a
veritable population explosion lately. The solution for the rabbits
was to take a two day sweeping of Smeagol, Sugar (the canines) and the
two felines and spread it around the top and around the newly planted
beans, and it worked. No more munching to the nubbings.
The long drupe mulberries are now gone, and I've managed to
thoroughly enjoy the retrieval of the two wheeled garden cart
immensely. The containers that I managed to cram into the Buick
station wagon has made me happy just because it's reuniting old
friends. I have two different California poppies that successfully
germinated in gravel topped pots. Unexpected surprises in one trumpet
lily that I think is "Shiloah" one of six that were bred in
commemoration of the National Parks. No signs of Yellowstone or
Yosemite or Shannadoah.....and I may have lost my Dragon lilies as
well (I have since recognized them as Regal lilies) and no triple
daylilies whatsoever, so I will have to seek a source for replacements
as they are tougher than woodpecker's lips........
Out front in a five gallon bucket, there appeared though, two
varieties of daylilies that I will now have to look up their
identities. I'd post pictures, but I don't have access to the
binaries site.........ah well.......for those who'd like a minimized
picture, holler at me and I'll send you a peek........
The two birdbaths have gone to very good use as well, and the word
is out and I'm seeing signs of moisture loving birds in the dry spell
that we're experiencing lately. The funniest thing was today my old
feline, Pester's decided to take it upon himselfl to stretch himself
and drink from the one in the back yard. Above him, the wrens and
finches scolded him until he'd had his fill and sauntered off. No
annimosity or urge to hunt or maime, just to drink and be
arrogant....it was hilarious and I got a great picture of him
drinking..... The pink Mexican primroses are about done and I'll
gather seed pods soon for plants of my own, and on my walk home from
the library, I've taken to pinching back spent blossoms so I'll have
seeds to zinnias.
Along my walks, to and from, I've also taken to using my digital
skills at capturing faces and discovered a most impressive hydrangea
that I had to capture. awesome! And the Southern Magnolia's still
crank out lemony scented HUGE blossoms that are as large as my head!
Makes me appreciate these magestic old ladies and their much loved age
and maturity.
I've begun to make a mental note of perennials to replace when I
settle down eventually into our own place and I know this next time
and gardens will not be quite the same as they were. I'm getting a
better perspective of my own capabilities as well, and were it not for
the restrictions of plant material, I'd have already transformed the
yard around this house into wow......the limit of plants has been my
only problem. (and lack of not only funds, but of the previous bounty
of division capabilities I never utilized......still learning as I go
through this road)
Not having been successful with herbs before, I am now about to
whack the oregano and lemon verbena back by 2/3rds as it's about to
flower. I probably should have whacked earlier, but the heat wave is
in ernest now.
I will write when there is more to inspire and share. I hope your
summers are good to you.
all my love and still waiting to hear about your gardens.

madgardener up in the bowl, surrounded by the Cherokee National Forest
and Appalachians and gardening in zone 7b

Old 27-06-2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 27, 11:27*am, "pacca" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

and Appalachians and gardening in zone 7b- Hide quoted text -

forget to post, Pacca??
maddie getting much needed RAIN

[IMG] code is On

happy, happy, happy David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 12-01-2010 06:32 AM
Happy Solstice Billy[_4_] Edible Gardening 33 27-12-2007 07:20 PM
Happy Solstice Pat Brennan Orchids 10 21-12-2004 11:58 PM
Happy Solstice madgardener Gardening 8 24-12-2003 02:14 PM
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday... Reka Orchids 4 05-04-2003 11:32 PM