Old 30-06-2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Trees and common problems

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...
Just to make it a bit clearer, I live southwest of Austin, TX in hill
country proper. The predominant, native tree here that grows naturally is
the live oak.

Weather conditions for the past 3 years has been one year of severe
drought, one year of more than ample rain rivaling rain normally seen in
much wetter areas of the country, this year in extreme drought with almost
a month of 100F temps so far. Unusual for even this part of the country
that early in the year. The TV weatherman, says on a regular basis, the
culprit is "blocking high" preventing the normal influx of Gulf moisture
from intruding and creating the typical cloudcover, and potential for
rain. The cloudcover allows slightly less temps, and moisture from the
Gulf does similar and slowsdown dryout of native surface vegetation. East
Texas isn't suffering though as the high has been primarily too far west.

Similarly, I may call the live oak an "evergreen" myself as it only lacks
leaves for a week or 2 in early spring. Guess I could call it an almost
always evergreen. I know its not a genuine evergreen in the strictest
sense as I'm sure my neighbor does as well.

All my live oaks are native, no home growns/transplants from pots.

Clarifying what I was asking originally, will there be any apparent,
visible signs of drought stress on these live oaks? Insects and fungi
aren't a problem now due to lack of water. I'm concerned about my only
water source, a water well. So, I've stopped watering the lawn.
Typically, a summer in this region is totally lacking in any appreciable
rain, if any. So, thus my question.

--
Dave

Use a SHIGOMETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its reveals the trees vitality. The problem
with your local forester Don Staples is that he does not understand trees
enough to use one. I would move from Texas. Wound dressing, really!
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...higometry.html The meter will
tell you what you are asking if you have the knowledge and experience to use
it. I do or I am qualified.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 30-06-2008, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:44:00 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

[...]

It depends on many things.

Yeah, right. Check the cambial electrical resistance to find out the
vitality of the tree.

Hire someone one that understands trees.

I did the work at Tulane university in New O. I would have no trouble
finding a mean for a healthy live oak. What is your problem? Confused?

Old 30-06-2008, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

You have turned from a mild irritant to a ****ing idiot.

Old 30-06-2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:30:03 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

I would move from Texas. Wound dressing, really!

There is hope in the world.

No, the hope is the dumbass will never move to Texas.