Old 26-06-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Trees and common problems

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 26-06-2008, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:10:38 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Oy vey.

You live nearby. If the hot weather (doubtless) and lack of rain/drought
continue (most likely), wonder if its going to affect the native live oaks?
Its not a common problem, so don't expect an answer from you know who to
interrupt.
--
Dave

Old 26-06-2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Oy vey.

You live nearby. If the hot weather (doubtless) and lack of rain/drought
continue (most likely), wonder if its going to affect the native live
oaks? Its not a common problem, so don't expect an answer from you know
who to interrupt.
--
Dave

I forget. If you take a cross section of live oak and look at the vessel
arrangement. it takes skill. That will reflect the water requirement time.
When the vessels form they do not function until they are dead. At such a
time the water must be there. Send be a branch sample and I will dissect it
and take a picture and put it on a website explaining what I am saying. Let
me look and see if SHIGO has live oak dissections on his cd set. . I am in
PA.

I could not find a picture there. If I am correct they look like upside
down tornados. Thus thinking that during the earlywood formation the tree
would require a moderate amount of H2O while during the latewood period as
vessels die there would be a requirement for a great deal of H2O. Again if
you could mail me a branch piece about 4" in diameter or just a little
smaller by about 12 inches long I would dissect it and we could all see for
ourselves. E mail me at for my address if you
would be so kind.

Found a picture of a dissection of cal. Live Oak. Unlike the red, black and
white oaks, the live oak has large vessels throughout the growth increment
equally sized from early to latewood. Thus stating that a reasonable amount
of water would be required for loading throughout the growing period in
girth. Just exactly when that is in your area I am not sure. If the tree
does not have its water then yes that would be a limiting factor. Just what
those limits are I do not know for sure. Of course two years of no water is
worse than one. In a natural setting nurse logs would be present with soil
contact in a sponge state and will be a water reservoir for dry times for
the trees. Humans have removed this feature from most places humans come in
contact. And if I am wrong I will be happy!

More on water here just for starters.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...nce/water.html

Articles on water:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/WATER.html

and an issue with water he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/COP.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 27-06-2008, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message

I don't need you to dissect trees in my yard to tell me how much water
is required.

Why are you fighting against dissecting and understanding trees. Knowing
and seeing where when and how water is loaded is done by dissections. I
guess you never have and never will dissect and understand trees. Have fun.
First I would not come to your house and do anything for you. I was not
talking to you , I do not like you due to your words and some how you think
I am trying to win you. No way Jose,.

You say the trees go dormant. Please explain. When the top is resting the
bottom is ofetn working hard. We proved that in the Northeast. Root hairs
were active under ice and frozen soil. So when you say dorment what do you
mean? What part, what does dorment mean, your words? The best tree
biologist in the world are having trouble defining it this year. What we
thought was a system shutdown is far from the truth.

Texas has ten very distinctive regions, all different,
and each corridor has it's own species, and each side of each of those
have species which only live either within, or to one or both sides of
the regional line. I studied rangeland ecology.

I dissected live oak trees. So I see some unique feartures. The theme is
the same. maybe you could explain some anatomy differences between your so
called trees and what grow in other places in the world. Texas is still
using wound dressing - by law, making flush cuts and blaming decline of
improperly planted, prune and fertilized trees on some insect, bug or
whatever except - hey , I screwed the tree up. Of course we all see Texas
finest quality in George Bush. Ya know, people are different in Texas.

Live oaks are semi-evergreen trees which can be 500 years old with
only a two foot diameter because of either years or decades of
drought.

Please define evergreen.

They go dormant mid-season unless there is ample water.

What goes dorment , what exzactly do they do to be dormant?

In
this region of TX the Live Oaks need to have fully saturated root
balls before planted or their ability to withstand hot winds all
summer with ample water has a lower success rate. If the root ball
is not saturated before planted there is no way to ever get to the
inner portion of that ball no matter how much water you apply. So,
you are not the only person who knows a newly planted anything cannot
do without supplemental watering...thank you very much.

The single largest problem with trees is that they are planted too
deeply. I know that, so does any arborist, or avid gardener. No
dissection necessary.

I aggree and say that the number one problem worldwide is improper planting.
Then improper mulching, fertilizing and yes pruning. So why are you not
happy that I offer some suggestions on the latter?
No, but a dissection would show in court that the flare at the base of the
tree is not a root flare it is a trunk flare and should not be barried when
planted.

My Live Oak trees require one inch of water per two week period to
remain health and supple. After their spring shed and push the only
thing which grows, in general and based on waterfall are branches, and
some leaves. Mostly (during drought) the leaf will remain in a bud
until either water is applied; rain or otherwise, or it will remain in
bud until spring shed after catkins fall.

I don't recall asking about my trees, nor did I elicit help with them
and no I won't send a branch. What for? My trees are healthy, so
far.

What do you call a healthy trees? My Christmas tree was doing great in my
basement in januray. It was doing great. We watered it and all. BUT IT
HAD BIG PROBLEMS. From someone that does not dissect trees please explain
what you mean when you say healthy tree. What features do you use to define
a healthy tree?

The single most dangerous problem in this region is Oak Wilt. As
far as I know, there is no Oak Wilt in this area within at least 10
miles.

TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the
salvage hog!
[...]

That said, we prune only at times of the year when the insect
vector can carry the disease from distances.

TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap.

If pruning is necessary
to prevent falling on the house in high winds, it is recommended by
the TX Dept of Parks and Wildlife, along with TX A&M to use pruning
paint and spray tools with Lysol between each cut not just tree to
tree.

LOL NOT LYSOL silly person. 10% household beach. Man, where did you get
your education on trees? Don Staples. Or are you Don Staples?
Wound dressing does not stop rot. You fool. If you cannot stop rot how can
you stop oak wilt? Silly silly person. maybe if you stoped acting like an
expert from texas with Bush, maybe people who dissect trees can offer
suggestions. many many many people have dissected trees, minus you Don
Staples.

The other way it is spread is via the fungal mat and in that
case they've had some success preventing Oak Wilt by trenching outside
the rhizosphere.

Look, I appreciate it, but you are not the only one on the planet who
knows something about horticulture, arboriculture or forestry. I find
you gallantly irritating because I can't figure out what your agenda
is with constant shilling. It's moderately annoying. If I need your
help, I will ask.

Don't ask me for help. Please go to Don Staples, Don Staples. I am
growuing a forest and you, Don Staples are not allowed near it. Pathogens
will be controlled.

Again, all you have to do is look and you will see when water is loaded.
Not just listen to somebody like you who claims to be an tree expert yet has
no understanding of tree biology. That's
annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I repeat for those interested in helping trees!

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning and Wound Dressing (Unless you live in Texas then flush
cuts and wound dressings are ok)

Old 27-06-2008, 07:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:45:12 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

[...]

Holy moly, John, You are friggin' losin' it! Or lost it long ago. Or
never had it, whatever the hell "it" is.

Maybe you are just one of the better trolls I have seen. I don't
freekin' know! You are fascinating. Watching your obsessions manifest
is fascinating.

You are like watching a disaster in it's unfolding, except that the end
never arrives! My fascination with your postings, ramblings, and
rantings disturbs me.

Likely I just fed your need. Are you like Mr. Fat *******? Will you
totally, like, pop and blow all over our screens one of these days?

Have a thin mint, John. Just one thin mint.

Charlie

What are you doing here kid? You know how long John has been posting
here. What effect has anybody ever had on him? Zero. Why get in the show
when you can just watch it? Leave him to Staples and Jangchub. Gives
them something to do and keeps John out of trouble.
Got another mint?

Adam & Eve

God one day decided he ought to check in with Adam to see how things were
going.

"Adam....How are things going?"

Adam replies that he considers himself quite fortunate to be living in
such
a beautiful and peaceful place but he did have a couple of questions to
ask,
if the Lord didn't mind, of course.

"No problem," said the Lord, "Ask away"

"Well Lord, I was wondering why you made Eve so beautiful? Not that I'm
complaining, mind you."

"Adam, I made Eve so beautiful so that you would like her."

"Oh, well yes, I do like her very much. Thank you Lord. You made her so
beautiful, but why is it then that you made her so stupid?"

"Well Adam, I had to make sure she liked you too!"
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 27-06-2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

I think I finally caused this idiot to blow a fuse.

Old 27-06-2008, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Just to make it a bit clearer, I live southwest of Austin, TX in hill
country proper. The predominant, native tree here that grows naturally is
the live oak.

Weather conditions for the past 3 years has been one year of severe drought,
one year of more than ample rain rivaling rain normally seen in much wetter
areas of the country, this year in extreme drought with almost a month of
100F temps so far. Unusual for even this part of the country that early in
the year. The TV weatherman, says on a regular basis, the culprit is
"blocking high" preventing the normal influx of Gulf moisture from intruding
and creating the typical cloudcover, and potential for rain. The cloudcover
allows slightly less temps, and moisture from the Gulf does similar and
slowsdown dryout of native surface vegetation. East Texas isn't suffering
though as the high has been primarily too far west.

Similarly, I may call the live oak an "evergreen" myself as it only lacks
leaves for a week or 2 in early spring. Guess I could call it an almost
always evergreen. I know its not a genuine evergreen in the strictest sense
as I'm sure my neighbor does as well.

All my live oaks are native, no home growns/transplants from pots.

Clarifying what I was asking originally, will there be any apparent, visible
signs of drought stress on these live oaks? Insects and fungi aren't a
problem now due to lack of water. I'm concerned about my only water source,
a water well. So, I've stopped watering the lawn. Typically, a summer in
this region is totally lacking in any appreciable rain, if any. So, thus my
question.

--
Dave

"Jangchub" wrote in message

[...]

Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 27-06-2008, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:29:17 -0500, "Don Staples"
wrote:

"symplastless" wrote in message
m...

"Jangchub" wrote in message

I think I finally caused this idiot to blow a fuse.

I REFUSE to give you all the credit! Remember, I am also you now.

Jeez, now I got two voices in my head, but hey, at least they carry on a
conversation.

Old 28-06-2008, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:44:00 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

[...]

It depends on many things. I have very deep soil before you hit
caliche. Do you know how deep your soil is? I don't waste water on

Hill (HILL) country here, not in the bottom land near seasonal creek or
river. Soil, if you want to call it that, is from zero to maybe 2" in the
area around my home natively. I've added topsoil around the house. Caliche
is widely available at surface in many areas. More likely, here, will run
into fractured limestone. In fact, there is some surface limestone in the
yard.

turf, but i do water my Live Oaks about twice a month. I use one of
those really cheap yellow ring sprinklers and move it all around under
the trees out to the drip line and a bit beyond. I set the timer on
the stove to remind me to move it. This type of sprinkler has large
drops of water so it doesn't evaporate in the air before it hits the
ground. It' takes several hours to water three trees in the front. My
trees are numbered and registererd at historic and climax. They are
all many hundreds of years old.

A sign a Live Oak is in distress is a compensatory growth which looks
like the foliage is coming out all along the limbs and branches, not
in an arranged canopy. If I get a chance I will post a photo from a
neighbor who did damage to their trees and how the tree is holding on
for dear life.

Yes, I saw that 3 years ago on a group of live oaks that were in distress
for many reasons. Spent alot of time examining them as they serve as
western side shade for the house. Other than excessive carpenter ants, more
spanish moss than leaf cover, lots of dead small branches, I saw leaves
sprouting in the middle of branches that should not be leafing.

Since I finished the house shortly afterwards, found my well water was high
in hydrogen sulfide gas. (not sulfide solids). The fix was an aeration
bottle. The bottle flushes every night to a french drain not far and uphill
from this group of trees. About 30 gallons per flush. Apparently, the
group of oaks is getting some of this water by appearances.

I don't know what the vast majority of live oaks in the hill country use for
soil as its mostly fractured limestone and caliche at or near the surface.

So, the answer is yes, you should water your trees two inches a month
in summer, at least. These trees have been on this land for hundreds
of years and I'm certain the old homestead never watered them. East
Texas is considered part of the humid south. Austin is considered on
the dry line, thus the variation in climate county to county.

Climatology seems to be indicating the west Texas desert may be moving east.
I live in west Hays county.
--
Dave

We have a right to choose.
Choices have consequences,
for both self, and others.
You probably considered yourself.

Old 29-06-2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 07:18:03 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Since I finished the house shortly afterwards, found my well water was
high
in hydrogen sulfide gas. (not sulfide solids). The fix was an aeration
bottle. The bottle flushes every night to a french drain not far and
uphill
from this group of trees. About 30 gallons per flush. Apparently, the
group of oaks is getting some of this water by appearances.

I don't know what the vast majority of live oaks in the hill country use
for
soil as its mostly fractured limestone and caliche at or near the surface.

Climatology seems to be indicating the west Texas desert may be moving
east.
I live in west Hays county.

I could be wrong, but it seems the jet stream is moving north,
disalowing (is that a word?) the Gulf stream to have proper conditions
to form storm clouds. I would say this is a sign of global warming,
but I am not sure of that. Not because I don't believe in global
warming, rather it's my lack of knowledge on the subject. I very much
believe in global warming.

Trees in the Hill Country depend on underground seeps. There seems to
be many of them all around. Live Oaks also are native to the area and
how they survive the caliche is that they've adapted to very high pH
levels with few elements in th top horizon. Sometimes if you dig
deeper into the caliche there will be a sub-soil layer which will have
clay and retention of both water and elements to nourish the trees.

Believe its "disallowing".

The TV weatherman uses the term "dry line", not as a form of topography,
rather, the area of air encountered by a cool/cold front lacking any
appreciable moisture.

From what I gather, on the western side of the U.S., the jet stream has
moved north. The jet stream influences creation of upper level high
pressure systems. These, in turn, affect surface level weather. The
blocking high pressure system I was talking about and preventing rain in my
area, was for the May/early June time period. Generally, that period in
late spring is when most of the local rain occurs. The last occurrence
caused a rain system to split in 2, one went due south, and the other east.
The southbound was influenced directly by the western high pressure system
wind flow, the easternbound was its original direction of travel.

Old 30-06-2008, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:45:12 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

I didn't say a system shuts down. Dormant is very much alive, but not
actively transpiring.

If the lenticels shut down that would be one thing. Maybe you should read A
NEW TREE BIOLOGY.
Are you trying to say trees do not make food when there are no leaves on the
trees????????
I don't think so!!!!!!!

Please define evergreen.

Oy, evergreen is any plant which does not shed it's leaves, needles or
any other green part of the plant. Evergreen, the opposite to
deciduous. Semi-evergreen, plants which shed their leaves, but are
never naked for any period of time.

WOW, yonever say a conifer shed leaves. Better do a little studying before
you post such nonsense.

They go dormant mid-season unless there is ample water.

What goes dorment , what exzactly do they do to be dormant?

Exzactly? Dorment?

I see you do not understand trees, sad.

I aggree and say that the number one problem worldwide is improper
planting.
Then improper mulching, fertilizing and yes pruning. So why are you not
happy that I offer some suggestions on the latter?
No, but a dissection would show in court that the flare at the base of the
tree is not a root flare it is a trunk flare and should not be barried
when
planted.

I already know this stupid. One time I said root flare. I misspoke.
I know what I meant, so did the person I was talking to.

LOL NOT LYSOL silly person. 10% household beach. Man, where did you get
your education on trees? Don Staples. Or are you Don Staples?

No, I'm Victoria.
Yes, Lysol, OR dilute bleach ten to one. Geesh.

Don Staples is Victoria!
Wound dressing does not stop rot. You fool. If you cannot stop rot how
can
you stop oak wilt? Silly silly person. maybe if you stoped acting like
an
expert from texas with Bush, maybe people who dissect trees can offer
suggestions. many many many people have dissected trees, minus you Don
Staples.

Asshole, we dress the cuts in the event they are made during the life
cycle of the insect vector who will deposit the disease onto freshly
cut wood. They prefer the cuts. It's not to stop rot. Stop making
it up as you go.

If you cannot stop rot how can you control things that lead to rot? You
dummer than I thought.

Don't ask me for help. Please go to Don Staples, Don Staples. I am
growuing a forest and you, Don Staples are not allowed near it. Pathogens
will be controlled.

I don't need his advice either, but I'd go to him way before I'd go to
a nutjob like you.

Sure he offers a great salvage program. just right for you.
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

I never claimed to be a tree expert. Oh, I forgot, in your mind I'm
now Don Staples.

No, Don Staples is you.

Nobody reads your crap, so I deleted it.

love,

Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Oh well. If you will be had, you will be had.

Old 30-06-2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

omsupplyinc...

"Jangchub" wrote in message

I think I finally caused this idiot to blow a fuse.
Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Don Staples you say wood is dead. Is your car dead? If I see you in a
accident I will let you burn because you are dead. Or so you claim.

You are so ignorant - lacking knowledge. Go help bush with his tree
problems. His ranch needs salvaged. Go help him out.

Old 30-06-2008, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...

wrote:

"symplastless" wrote in message
om...

"Jangchub" wrote in message

I think I finally caused this idiot to blow a fuse.

I REFUSE to give you all the credit! Remember, I am also you now.

Jeez, now I got two voices in my head, but hey, at least they carry on a
conversation.
Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Nobody is reading your crap you psyco