Old 06-07-2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default orchid pix

i put my decidedly unphotogenic little orchid's photos up on
my flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenig...3/in/photostre
am/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenig...3/in/photostre
am/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenig...7/in/photostre
am/

or try this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenigma/

thanks in advance for any ID help
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 06-07-2008, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

i put my decidedly unphotogenic little orchid's photos up on
my flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenig...3/in/photostre
am/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenig...3/in/photostre
am/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenig...7/in/photostre
am/

or try this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenigma/

thanks in advance for any ID help
lee

Looks a lot like most of ours. Iım not into naming but Iıd guess it is
easily named soon. Remember soak once a week etc. Slugs like em.

Bill

Name starts with D....)

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 06-07-2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

thanks in advance for any ID help

I vote phalenopsis.
Find some photos online and see what you think.

That would mean bright indirect light with a smattering of early am/late
evening sun ok, and coolish nights are fine. When I lived in Florida I never
brought my phals in unless a freeze was expected, which was once every 10
years. I brought some with me when I moved here and they are doing very well
overwintered under compact flourescents.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Buderschnookie" wrote in
:

I vote phalenopsis.
Find some photos online and see what you think.

i found (very few) photos with some leaves on bigorchid.com,
& yes, it does look a lot like those.
it's currently in a northeast facing window, but i can move
it to a southeast window or under the lights in the fall.
i think i will repot it just because i don't know what
exactly it's potted in. it looks like regular potting soil
under a layer of the moss & the pot doesn't have much
drainage.
i see that clear pots are recommended. the orchids i had many
years ago were in clay pots. is being able to see the roots an
advantage over clay's drainage ability & breathability?

lee
Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
i think i will repot it just because i don't know what
exactly it's potted in. it looks like regular potting soil
under a layer of the moss & the pot doesn't have much
drainage.
i see that clear pots are recommended. the orchids i had many
years ago were in clay pots. is being able to see the roots an
advantage over clay's drainage ability & breathability?

I don't use clear pots- all my phals are in clay. YMMV.
Just be sure and use an orchid mix- that potting soil is way too dense. Use
clean pruners and cut off any roots that look rotten or mushy. They're tough
plants and can handle the abuse. If you don't have pot clips to hold it
steady in the pot until the roots take hold you can just lay a big rock on
top to keep it from toppling over. Mist it daily and you should be fine.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

am/http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenigma/2642427743/in/photostre
am/http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenigma/2642427747/in/photostre
am/

or try this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/redenigma/

thanks in advance for any ID help
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.

Hi - why not put them on rixa.com in addition to flickr? Would like to
see the gardening community's reactions... ;-)

Looking forward, Alex.