Old 07-07-2008, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default My aptenia is dying

Southern California Zone 10. We have a 90x40 patch of aptenia iceplant.
Until a few weeks ago, it was verdant and lush. The ground is flat..

In the last several weeks, the aptenia iceplant developed blotches of dying
stems and leaves. The stems of some plants get hard and shrivel, although
the leaves were still green.(See photos).

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_2368.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_2369.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_2370.jpg

We watered the aptenia the first time this summer, when these blotches
started to appear, about one week ago. Today, the moisture meter indicates
low to medium moisture in all aptenia areas, but the blotches are still with
us.

In winter we have another problem with the aptenia: Large blotches turn into
slime and die. When it gets warmer, the dead aptenia dries and turns into a
thatch on the ground. In late spring, all aptenia grows vigorously again and
the dead areas become overgrown by new strands and leaves.

Any ideas what could cause these problems?

These problems reoccur every year. We fertilize every spring and it takes
right off, again.Then, in July, we get these blotches. In winter, we get
slimy blotches.

Thanks for any help.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Walter R. wrote:
[...]

Walter, the photographs indicate the presence of lawn cricket or other
type of root-munching bug that's having a feast (even ants can cause
this die-back). I would start by carefully looking for holes in the
ground and then use an effective insecticide. Might even try drenching
the entire exposed area with the insecticide to ensure no noogies are
still around.

It will go slushy when over-wet or too damp. I would try digging over
the area where the plant has died after clearing away the dead foliage,
add some compost and superphosphates and see if its runners will cover
in time. We have this plant in South Africa where it enjoys sandy soil
and not too much water. I have seen this die-back caused by lawn crickets.

HTH.

[IMG] code is On

Dying black bamboo ramyad Bamboo 4 27-04-2009 10:13 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Dying phal! Claude Orchids 1 25-01-2003 09:08 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM