Old 16-07-2008, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Slugs! Hi I'm new to this site.

In article ,
Mrs Badger wrote:

Hi there, I am new to this site and quite an inexperienced gardener so
please bear with me. I hope I have posted this in the right place!

I have a small garden and this year is the first year I have planted it
out with anything at all. I love bedding plants and at my old house had
good success with busy lizzies and petunias. I set about planting my
beds with busy lizzies and marigold only to find that we have a very
large population of slugs! We also have a resident hedgehog who I
understand is excellent for keeping slugs down but there are so many I
don't think he can keep up! our next door garden is an overgrown
wildernesse and a slug heaven, I have seriously never seen so many
slugs! I can't use most types of slug killers for fear of them not
being safe for the hedgehog. We have tried beer traps which are
wonderful but still I am struggling. I have already lost my marigolds
completely and the busy lizzies were fighting back but are clearly now
really struggling.

I want to replant my beds with something else, what can I use that
slugs won't eat and can now be planted in mid July? I have some
geraniums in a tub and they are doing handsomely and do not appear to
have any slug damage. So I hoping to maybe plant some of these out with
something else but I need some advise.

Thank you for listening...

Welcome!

Look at this list of slug resistant plants.

http://www.daytonnursery.com/tips/Slug%20Resistant%20Plants.htm

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 16-07-2008, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Mrs Badger wrote:

[...]

www.recyclenow.org/less-toxic/SnailsSlugs.PDF

Iron phosphate: non-toxic
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 16-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Welcome!

Look at this list of slug resistant plants.

http://www.daytonnursery.com/tips/Sl...t%20Plants.htm

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
You're very kind, thank you. That list is really helpful! I shall head off to the garden centre tomorrow and I will post back in a week or so with the results!

Many thanks.