Old 22-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Registered User

Default Are these weeds

HI, I have just started gardening and im a complete novice but im enjoying it.
I have quite a big garden so i have planted some vegetables.
I dug the garden over and planted the veg which are coming through nice but i have i think, weeds coming through. I just need to know if they are weeds, are they treatable without killing my veg, or is it best to dig them out.

I hope you can see the photo of them

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tracey
Old 23-07-2008, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Good question. If you dig them out better be very careful of root
disruption of desired plants.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

[image: http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...s41/weeds.jpg]

Old 23-07-2008, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Trace" wrote in message

HI, I have just started gardening and im a complete novice but im
enjoying it.
I have quite a big garden so i have planted some vegetables.
I dug the garden over and planted the veg which are coming through nice
but i have i think, weeds coming through. I just need to know if they
are weeds, are they treatable without killing my veg, or is it best to
dig them out.

It's a bit hard to tell if there is anything in the pic other than things
that look like weeds, but it's often hard to tell from pics. But if you can
tell a difference in looks between things like veg and other things (by
being able to see a row of the veg, for example) then I'd say you do have
weeds.

You don't mention of you put veg into a newly created bed or prepared the
bed fresh??? But either way, if the bed has been fallow for some time, it
would be reasonable to expect weed to be coming up if it hasn't been a
productive and freuently used bed for some time. If it's a new bed, then
I'd bet pounds to peanuts that they would be weeds.

I find the best way to get out tiny weeds is to just get down there and use
a finger and thumb to pull then out gently when the soil is moist. After
you've weeded, try to water your veg with some dilute seaweed emulsion as it
seems to help plants recover from root disturbance. If you don't have any
then jsut water then gently. Good luck.

Old 23-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Registered User

Hi i have had a good look underneath them and theres no signs of flowering, there just seems to be the leaves.

Tracey
Old 23-07-2008, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Trace" wrote in message

HI, I have just started gardening and im a complete novice but im
enjoying it.
I have quite a big garden so i have planted some vegetables.
I dug the garden over and planted the veg which are coming through nice
but i have i think, weeds coming through. I just need to know if they
are weeds, are they treatable without killing my veg, or is it best to
dig them out.

I hope you can see the photo of them
[image: http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...s41/weeds.jpg]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tracey

--
Trace

Recall seeing similar in SE VA where I lived while in Navy. If they are
same plant, its simply groundcover weed. Very delicate weed, easy to pull
up when ground is moist. But, prolific as well.
--
Dave

Old 24-07-2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Trace" wrote in message

HI, I have just started gardening and im a complete novice but im
enjoying it.
I have quite a big garden so i have planted some vegetables.
I dug the garden over and planted the veg which are coming through nice
but i have i think, weeds coming through. I just need to know if they
are weeds, are they treatable without killing my veg, or is it best to
dig them out.

I hope you can see the photo of them
[image: http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...s41/weeds.jpg]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If they are something you don't want growing there - they are weeds.

Old 25-07-2008, 04:10 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace View Post
HI, I have just started gardening and im a complete novice but im enjoying it.
I have quite a big garden so i have planted some vegetables.
I dug the garden over and planted the veg which are coming through nice but i have i think, weeds coming through. I just need to know if they are weeds, are they treatable without killing my veg, or is it best to dig them out.

I hope you can see the photo of them

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tracey
Those look like cotyledons [the leaves put out by seeds before the first true leaves develop] which makes it difficult to say what the plants are. If you are sure they are not your planted seeds, they are easily weeded out.