Old 31-07-2008, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Elderberry Questions

I planted six elderberry plants last year. This
year they are five to six feet tall and have
fruit set. Question is how do you tell when the
fruit is optimum for harvesting? I have them
enclosed with bird netting so letting the fruit
hang awhile is not a problem. Another question
is can they be hedged during dormancy to control
height without damage to the plant or fruit
productiveness? I would like to keep them to no
higher than six or seven feet.
Old 16-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] View Post
I planted six elderberry plants last year. This
year they are five to six feet tall and have
fruit set. Question is how do you tell when the
fruit is optimum for harvesting? I have them
enclosed with bird netting so letting the fruit
hang awhile is not a problem. Another question
is can they be hedged during dormancy to control
height without damage to the plant or fruit
productiveness? I would like to keep them to no
higher than six or seven feet.
Hi
When the berries are ready is a matter of taste. Once they are a dark wine red they are pickable. They sweeten as they get riper (they are never really sweet) and their content of healthy stuff (vitamins, anti-oxidants etc increases) They are fully ripe when they detach from the stalk without effort.

Elder flowers on new growth. If you cut it back, do so hard and as soon as you have harvested. The next year your crop will be reduced as the new growths will flower at the tips. The year after a new side branch will sprout from just about every leaf node and the bushes will be covered in flower.

Best

[IMG] code is On

Elderberry Cutting Steve Newport United Kingdom 16 12-09-2008 04:01 AM
Elderberry bush? Allview Gardening 13 04-06-2005 05:29 PM
Elderberry wick with blackfly! Pip United Kingdom 14 01-06-2004 11:18 AM
Elderberry wine & twitch MDHJWH Australia 1 27-10-2003 09:32 AM
Elderberry Jabber United Kingdom 9 02-05-2003 06:57 PM