GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/177735-pepper-saga-pepper-expert-anyone.html)

Marie Dodge 11-08-2008 04:47 AM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

I've already mentioned the problems with our Bell peppers this year.
Whitefly and spider mite but these may not be the whole problem. I've look
online and can't find these symptoms anywhere. These peppers came from
three different places, some I stared myself last spring. Within a week of
planting them out their leaves looked "strange." Instead of being smooth and
flat, they started to look like seer-sucker, kind of 'puckery' and the
plants failed to make normal growth. As the weeks passed they made buds but
all flowers and buds fell off along with the bottom leaves. Leaves were
still green when they fell. Now over a month later I'm seeing small yellow
spots with dark brown centers and leaves are curling upward slightly. It's
getting paler between the veins. The plants are tall, spindly, leaves are
sparse and only a handful of peppers were produced from 18 plants. In the
past few weeks the spider mites and whitefly infested them completely and
every spray I used failed to make a difference. Ideas anyone? Thoughts?
Suggestions? What disease can this be?

By this time other years we'd have so many peppers we'd be giving them
away - and from no more than 6 to 10 plants.

Val 11-08-2008 05:18 AM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

Google is your friend....pepper plants+diseases....first hit of 254,000+ is
a site with descriptions and pictures of all the problems you've described.

Val

Marie Dodge 11-08-2008 05:54 AM

"Val" wrote in message
Google is your friend....pepper plants+diseases....first hit of 254,000+
is a site with descriptions and pictures of all the problems you've
described.

Which site had the descriptions I described? What is the URL? I waded
through many sites before asking here because none mentioned the problem I'm
experiencing - and I don't have the time to read 254,000 sites. So which
site did you see the answers on?

TIA

Val 11-08-2008 10:33 AM

"Val" wrote in message
Google is your friend....pepper plants+diseases....first hit of 254,000+
is a site with descriptions and pictures of all the problems you've
described.

Which site had the descriptions I described? What is the URL? I waded
through many sites before asking here because none mentioned the problem
I'm experiencing - and I don't have the time to read 254,000 sites. So
which site did you see the answers on?

You didn't even look did you? You haven't "waded" thru anything. No wonder
you toss crap all over your garden, fix nothing, destroy much and then whine
away about lousy results. OK Marie Dodge, you're either too damned stupid to
follow simple instructions or just too ****ing lazy to be even half smart.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and consider you just beyond
real damned stupid and give you a direct link to the FIRST HIT you would
have got on Google IF you'd put "pepper plants+diseases" in the little
search box, which you obviously didn't. Not that you will actually read it,
just like you didn't read anything about all that shit you have dumped all
over God knows what or even actually read **FIRST HIT** in my post. Do you
move your lips when you read, Marie? Perhaps if you run your finger under
each word and carefully say it out loud it will help with your
comprehension...or not.
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texla...ers/pepper.asp

After reading the problems you say you have with your peppers and actually
having read the above site I have come to this conclusion: You have, in the
most haphazard fashion, poisoned or obliterated anything positive in/on your
ground. You garden is rampant with viral, bacterial and fungal disease that
has pretty much cancelled out any good trying to bring harmonious balance.
You've saved seeds from diseased and weakened plants to perpetuate the
horrors of your toxic gardening and any newcomers you plant in that quagmire
of festering ilk don't stand a chance. What you are doing 20 years ago would
be called ignorance, now it's just blatant stupidity. The fix will require
intelligence, commitment, research, patience, and hard work over a period of
time, none of these qualities do you seem to possess. You are of the kind
Monsanto, Dow and Dupont woo and court because you long for a magic bullet
that doesn't exist. You need to sell your place as soon as possible, move to
a sub basement apartment with absolutely NO PLACE to even ATTEMPT to grow
any living thing, have your groceries delivered and live off of Nuke & Puke
dinners, use lots of chemical sprays and cleaning agents in your enclosed
environment so you don't go cold turkey on toxins. Then stick a plastic
plant in a hunk of Styrofoam on your window sill next to the little ceramic
napping cat and call it good.

GeeeeeeeeZUZ****inkeeeeeeryestonacrutch, where is Joe SpareBedroom when I
need him!?!?

Val

Penelope Periwinkle 11-08-2008 06:21 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 02:33:16 -0700, "Val"
wrote:

Val

You know, a little more fruit in your diet, and you won't be so
constipated.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Billy[_5_] 11-08-2008 06:37 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

"Val" wrote in message
[...]

Don't be hard on yourself Val. I don't think Joe could have been any
more eloquent than you have. It's hard not to think that "merry dodge"
isn't someone's sock puppet, whose sole purpose is to pull our chain.
I haven't been following this latest "dodge" adventure and it sounds
like you are all over it but I wanted to make sure every sane
gardener out there understood this one thing.

When mining companies go out of business, they leave behind large
piles of tailings (everything except the ore they were after).
These tailings end up leaching heavy metals (lead, arsenic,
cadmium) into the local watershed. It is usually about this time
the the EPA comes around and proclaims the site toxic and puts it
on the "Superfund" list.

It cost money to clean up "Superfund" sites, so from a purely
capitalistic view point you have to take your hats off to the
entrepreneurs who took their potentially costly piles of heavy metals,
bagged them up, called it fertilizer, and sold it for $12/10 lb.
under the name of "Ironite".

"They" say that it would take a very long time for the heavy metal
load of your garden soil to build up to toxic levels but we all
have a "body burden", http://www.bodyburden.org/ , and no sane
person would want to add to it. The long and the short of it is
that no amount of heavy metals is "good" for a person.

Arsenic, cadmium and lead were selected as the potential COCs (Chemicals
of concern ) in Ironite® . The concentrations of the COCs that
may be present in surface soils following long term application of
Ironite® were modeled using a conservative methodology that assumes that
Ironite® is applied at the maximum recommended rates suggested on the
label. Modeling was conducted using USEPA equations and assumptions.
Area specific values were used where necessary. The potentially complete
exposure route to the potential COCs in surface soil include ingestion,
dermal contact, and inhalation of fugitive dust.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=120#

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/sc/...3-ironite.html

http://www.envirolaw.org/poison.html

njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/soilprofile/sp-v16.pdf

Ironite?

You can live without it.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Penelope Periwinkle 11-08-2008 06:39 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:47:55 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

I've already mentioned the problems with our Bell peppers this year.
Whitefly and spider mite but these may not be the whole problem. I've look
online and can't find these symptoms anywhere. These peppers came from
three different places, some I stared myself last spring. Within a week of
planting them out their leaves looked "strange." Instead of being smooth and
flat, they started to look like seer-sucker, kind of 'puckery' and the
plants failed to make normal growth.

This is probably aphid damage.

As the weeks passed they made buds but
all flowers and buds fell off along with the bottom leaves. Leaves were
still green when they fell.

You don't say what part of the country you're in, or what your
cultivation techniques are, but too much or too little water, cool
nights (50F) or hot nights (~75F), or too much nitrogen can cause
flower drop. Aphids and spider mites can spread diseases, too which
can weaken the plants cause the flowers to drop as well.

Now over a month later I'm seeing small yellow
spots with dark brown centers and leaves are curling upward slightly.

Are the leaves curling long ways, or tip to stem?

Unfortunately the symptoms you're describing could be for several
diseases from bacterial spot to Cercospora. Could you post pictures on
a site like Photobucket so we can see exactly what you mean?

It's
getting paler between the veins. The plants are tall, spindly, leaves are
sparse and only a handful of peppers were produced from 18 plants. In the
past few weeks the spider mites and whitefly infested them completely and
every spray I used failed to make a difference. Ideas anyone? Thoughts?
Suggestions? What disease can this be?

The problem with spraying is that it kills the insect predators as
well as the pests, and the pests bounce back faster. The best way to
control aphids is to release lady bugs and stand back. They won't
clear out the aphids over night or kill all the aphids, but they'll
keep them under control.

I'm also wondering what you're using for fertilizer. I ask because
aphids are attracted to plants given high nitrogen fertilizers.

By this time other years we'd have so many peppers we'd be giving them
away - and from no more than 6 to 10 plants.

It's been a slow year for my plants; pepper, tomato, and egg plant. I
was hand watering at the beginning of the season because of drought
and watering restrictions, and I think they just needed more water
than hand watering could supply. Once we started having rain, they
took off, and are producing enough to make up for lost time. The
tomatoes and eggplants are coming in thick and fast, and the peppers
aren't far behind.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

Billy[_5_] 11-08-2008 07:22 PM

wrote:

Val

You know, a little more fruit in your diet, and you won't be so
constipated.

Penelope

When all about you are losing their heads but you stay calm, cool, and
collected, maybe you don't understand the problem ;O)
The little smiley face is to show one isn't being judgmental
;O) It can take some of the sting out of criticism or teasing.
Anyway, what is all this interest that you have in Val's
hemorrhoids? ;-) Fruit is too expensive for lubricating one's
excrement. Additionally, there is too much sugar for those of us
on low-carb, high-fiber diets. If you really want to crank up the
muzzle velocity of a BM, you want roots and green leafy vegetables.
I know. At my age, a really good BM is almost as good as sex,
almost ;O)

Save the fruits and nuts for dessert (as one Californian to another).

How are the beaches in Santa Monica this year? Have they had to
put up pollution signs because of untreated waste?
Oh, yeah ;O) Never have that problem up here. If you go in the
water, you get hypothermia or great white sharks. If you get
sharks, you don't sweat the hypothermia;o)
you
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Penelope Periwinkle 12-08-2008 02:13 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:22:29 -0700, Billy
wrote:

When all about you are losing their heads but you stay calm, cool, and
collected, maybe you don't understand the problem ;O)
The little smiley face is to show one isn't being judgmental
;O) It can take some of the sting out of criticism or teasing.

The smiley face is:

1. A crutch for the semi-literate duffer who is unable to correctly
convey the intent and meaning of his post.

2. A tool for classic bullies, who, being cowards at heart, need a way
to weasel out of owning their words.

3. A submissive gesture used to obsequiously deflect potential
repercussions.

Since you apparently lack the capacity to differentiate defecation
from orgasm, I'm leaning towards the first; however, since it is
possible that your kink runs that way, I'm keeping an open mind on the
subject.

Save the fruits and nuts for dessert (as one Californian to another).

To whom are you speaking?

How are the beaches in Santa Monica this year? Have they had to
put up pollution signs because of untreated waste?

How would I know?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Billy[_5_] 12-08-2008 05:28 PM

wrote:

[...]

You're right, I mis-con-screwed who you are but that is no reason
for defecation of character. Chew on some fresh rhubarb. It will
"lighten" your attitude;o) (He said with a pejorative intent).
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Marie Dodge 12-08-2008 08:01 PM

wrote:

Val

You know, a little more fruit in your diet, and you won't be so
constipated.

And after reading that site and many more last night... I'm still not sure
if it's the insects that did the damage or if the peppers are diseased.
Tomorrow we have to bring a soil sample and parts of the peppers and toms to
the Ag. Ext. office in the city.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Marie Dodge 12-08-2008 08:07 PM

"Billy" wrote in message
Arsenic, cadmium and lead were selected as the potential COCs (Chemicals
of concern ) in Ironite® . The concentrations of the COCs that
may be present in surface soils following long term application of
Ironite® were modeled using a conservative methodology that assumes that
Ironite® is applied at the maximum recommended rates suggested on the
label. Modeling was conducted using USEPA equations and assumptions.
Area specific values were used where necessary. The potentially complete
exposure route to the potential COCs in surface soil include ingestion,
dermal contact, and inhalation of fugitive dust.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=120#

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/sc/...3-ironite.html

http://www.envirolaw.org/poison.html

njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/soilprofile/sp-v16.pdf

Ironite?

You can live without it.

Yes, but the plants cannot. Our soil was very low in Iron when tested.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Marie Dodge 12-08-2008 08:17 PM

wrote:

I've already mentioned the problems with our Bell peppers this year.
Whitefly and spider mite but these may not be the whole problem. I've look
online and can't find these symptoms anywhere. These peppers came from
three different places, some I stared myself last spring. Within a week of
planting them out their leaves looked "strange." Instead of being smooth
and
flat, they started to look like seer-sucker, kind of 'puckery' and the
plants failed to make normal growth.

This is probably aphid damage.

I dug out my old microscope and found some kind of beige colored mites under
the leaves. Also, the whitefly nymphs at still there. Nothing the Ag agent
recommended worked on either of them. Numbers are down, but they're still
infesting the plants.

As the weeks passed they made buds but
all flowers and buds fell off along with the bottom leaves. Leaves were
still green when they fell.

You don't say what part of the country you're in, or what your
cultivation techniques are, but too much or too little water, cool
nights (50F) or hot nights (~75F), or too much nitrogen can cause
flower drop. Aphids and spider mites can spread diseases, too which
can weaken the plants cause the flowers to drop as well.

I'm in the mid south, zone 6 where summers are long. hot, humid and often
lacking rain. The garden is in sun most of the day and contains a lot of
organic matter in the form of last years leaves and rotted down weeds,
kitchen waste etc. There are few weeds and I pull them as soon as I see
them. Plants are watered as needed. I've been gardening for many years and
never experienced anything like this before.

Now over a month later I'm seeing small yellow
spots with dark brown centers and leaves are curling upward slightly.

Are the leaves curling long ways, or tip to stem?

The long way but they also look puckered, like seer-sucker material. Today I
see they're yellowing.

Unfortunately the symptoms you're describing could be for several
diseases from bacterial spot to Cercospora. Could you post pictures on
a site like Photobucket so we can see exactly what you mean?

Yes,.... I'll take some pics of the plants and get back here with them.

It's
getting paler between the veins. The plants are tall, spindly, leaves are
sparse and only a handful of peppers were produced from 18 plants. In the
past few weeks the spider mites and whitefly infested them completely and
every spray I used failed to make a difference. Ideas anyone? Thoughts?
Suggestions? What disease can this be?

The problem with spraying is that it kills the insect predators as
well as the pests, and the pests bounce back faster. The best way to
control aphids is to release lady bugs and stand back. They won't
clear out the aphids over night or kill all the aphids, but they'll
keep them under control.

There are no aphids. Just white fly and spider mites. The underside of the
leaves were completely covered on some of the plants. I tried lady bugs some
years ago when we did have aphids, and they were gone the next day...
leaving the aphids behind.

I'm also wondering what you're using for fertilizer. I ask because
aphids are attracted to plants given high nitrogen fertilizers.

What aphids? There are no aphids. I can't afford fish fertilizers. We're
retired and on a limited income.

By this time other years we'd have so many peppers we'd be giving them
away - and from no more than 6 to 10 plants.

It's been a slow year for my plants; pepper, tomato, and egg plant. I
was hand watering at the beginning of the season because of drought
and watering restrictions, and I think they just needed more water
than hand watering could supply. Once we started having rain, they
took off, and are producing enough to make up for lost time. The
tomatoes and eggplants are coming in thick and fast, and the peppers
aren't far behind.

Rain would certainly help since I've been watering them twice a week with
the hose. But as long as the whitefly and spider mites are infesting them
I doubt they'll produce much. Nothing recommended got rid of the
infestation.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

Bill[_13_] 12-08-2008 08:42 PM

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps worth a try.

Bill

http://www.seedsofchange.com/enewsletter/issue_28/issue_28.aspProtect

Your Crops Sanely and Humanely
Hot Pepper Wax
Capsaicin, the ingredient in hot peppers that gives them heat, is a
powerful feeding deterrent and will even kill many insect pests. Hot
pepper wax is a formulation containing capsaicin, which can be sprayed
regularly on plants to prevent damage from aphids, whiteflies, spider
mites, thrips, leafhoppers, scales and many other soft-bodied insects.
It can also be used as a feeding deterrent for rabbits and deer. Waxes
in the mixture help the spray stick to leaves making it last up to two
weeks. Be sure to respray newly emerged leaves during that time period.
And don't worry, the pepper spray washes off easily enough that it won't
linger after harvest.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Billy[_5_] 12-08-2008 10:02 PM

"Marie Dodge" wrote:

Ironite?

You can live without it.

Yes, but the plants cannot. Our soil was very low in Iron when tested.

Liquid Chelated Iron 32 oz. Price: $10.95

Sulfur Powder 2 lb Price: $4.95

and no heavy metals
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Marie Dodge 12-08-2008 10:10 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

Ironite?

You can live without it.

Yes, but the plants cannot. Our soil was very low in Iron when tested.

Liquid Chelated Iron 32 oz. Price: $10.95

Sulfur Powder 2 lb Price: $4.95

I have sulfur powder and used it, but it can affect the soil PH whereas
Ironite doesn't. There has to be iron in the soil for the sulfur to work.
The soils here are very low in Iron. 32 oz of liquid Iron covers how large
a garden? We have several vegetable gardens.

and no heavy metals
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Marie Dodge 12-08-2008 10:31 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

"Bill" wrote in message

Big brevity snip.

[...]

I hesitate to buy even more products since nothing has worked so far. The
Neem Oil (about $12) was supposed to work and didn't. Rotenone (around $9)
didn't work... couldn't find pyrethrum. The light summer oil ($10) was
supposed to work. I have about 8 things here (over $90 w/chemicals) and
none made more than a small difference in the whitefly and mite populations.
The pests must be gaining immunity to the organic pesticides as they have
the chemicals. My gardens are large and it's now starting to run into a lot
of money - and there's little improvement.

Bill[_13_] 12-08-2008 10:52 PM

"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...earch&search=p
yrethrum&item=637

http://www.biconet.com/botanicals/rps.html

Sounds like you have a challenge. Best practice may be to go fallow.

Best

Bill

Ps Rotenone has human health issues. Big ones!

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Marie Dodge 13-08-2008 01:55 AM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

As I mentioned somewhere here,.. this garden laid fallow 2 years due to an
accident I had. Several surgeries on my knee and physical rehab kept me out
of the garden. I'm surrounded by woodland and fields... and both are full
of insects and bugs. Virus and bacterial diseases have not been a problem.
I never saw whitefly here before, or spider-mites. The biggest pests were a
few Japanese beetles and the ubiquitous SVB. Aphids one year when we lived
in town.

I believe the spidermites came in on a gift palm I recieved last winter. It
was incurable so I trashed it this spring. Most likely not before a few
mites fell of it.......... :( The whitefly probably came in on one of
the seedlings I bought last spring.

Thanks for the URLs.

Marie Dodge 13-08-2008 08:04 AM

Pepper saga.......... Pictures of the garden

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message

Unfortunately the symptoms you're describing could be for several
diseases from bacterial spot to Cercospora. Could you post pictures on
a site like Photobucket so we can see exactly what you mean?

This was taken the end of June. You can see the peppers are tall, thin and
don't look normal. The tomatoes are still healthy. they're Romas,
EarlyGirls and Better Boys. Peppers are mixed Bells:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...mer2008-28.jpg
Here's a close up taken yesterday. No peppers and perhaps one flower. All
flowers and buds turn brown and fall off. The plants still have white fly
and a light mite load. Organics and chemicals didn't do much.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...mer2008-15.jpg
This was taken yesterday.You can see the devastation to the tomatoes from
the WF and SMs.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...mer2008-16.jpg
The two eggplants are totally infested with mites and WF. The "eggs" stopped
growing.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...mer2008-17.jpg
Another shot:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...mer2008-18.jpg
This is what the WFs did to the string beans.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...mer2008-12.jpg
I have no idea why these crooknecks suffer from. Their leaves are silvery
white. They have only a few WF and no mites. They're not near the gardens.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...mer2008-13.jpg

I've been gardening since the late 1950s and never seen anything like this
before. The other two gardens are still OK but it's only a matter of time
before the spider mites get to them - one way or another.

Pat Kiewicz 13-08-2008 11:50 AM

Marie Dodge said:

I believe the spidermites came in on a gift palm I recieved last winter. It
was incurable so I trashed it this spring. Most likely not before a few
mites fell of it.......... :( The whitefly probably came in on one of
the seedlings I bought last spring.

There's an old remedy for spider mites that might be worth a try, and
might not be too expensive. It combines wheat flour, buttermilk,
and water. The Organic Method Primer recommends it, and various
proportions are mentioned. Here's a recipe from a website:

1/8 cup buttermilk
1 cup wheat flour
1-1/4 gallons of water

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gt_org...693956,00.html

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Marie Dodge 14-08-2008 07:37 AM

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Marie Dodge said:

I believe the spidermites came in on a gift palm I recieved last winter.
It
was incurable so I trashed it this spring. Most likely not before a few
mites fell of it.......... :( The whitefly probably came in on one
of
the seedlings I bought last spring.

There's an old remedy for spider mites that might be worth a try, and
might not be too expensive. It combines wheat flour, buttermilk,
and water. The Organic Method Primer recommends it, and various
proportions are mentioned. Here's a recipe from a website:

1/8 cup buttermilk
1 cup wheat flour
1-1/4 gallons of water

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gt_org...693956,00.html

Have you found any of these concoctions to work for you? So far the only
thing I've seen make any difference this past week is called Organocide. I
got it at Lowe's. It's made with fish oil and smells like Cod Liver Oil. We
went to the Extension Office today with samples from our garden. The agent
didn't find signs of anything but whitefly and 2-spot spider mites. He said
they were the worst infested leaves he ever saw. We have to stop making our
own compost because there is no real way to kill them off in compost. I
could spread the problem all over the property with compost from the
gardens. He told us of a place we can get all the free stuff to compost we
can haul away. We're going to burn the entire pile we now have and get the
shredded stuff he told us about.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Pat Kiewicz 14-08-2008 12:06 PM

Marie Dodge said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

There's an old remedy for spider mites that might be worth a try, and
might not be too expensive. It combines wheat flour, buttermilk,
and water. The Organic Method Primer recommends it, and various
proportions are mentioned. Here's a recipe from a website:

1/8 cup buttermilk
1 cup wheat flour
1-1/4 gallons of water

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gt_org...693956,00.html

Have you found any of these concoctions to work for you?

This one, no, but I have had people say it did work for them. And it even
turns up on some extension service websites:
http://everest.ento.vt.edu/~idlab/ve...idermites.html

And the following article references a study which found that "(f)our applications
have been shown to kill 95 % of red spider mite infestation."
http://www.infonet-biovision.org/def...anicPesticides

But having seed your pictures (after my post) it looks like your infestation is
so bad that burning everything would be the best thing at this point. I'd maybe
even consider running a flame over every inch of garden.

Then hit every dormant shrub or tree in the vicinity of the garden with some
dormant sprays of oil before they break bud next spring.

Then maybe hit the area with lime sulfur after bud break:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6oozzc
= http://www.infrc.jp/english/KNF_Data...a/C6-6-238.pdf

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Marie Dodge 16-08-2008 02:51 AM

Marie Dodge said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

There's an old remedy for spider mites that might be worth a try, and
might not be too expensive. It combines wheat flour, buttermilk,
and water. The Organic Method Primer recommends it, and various
proportions are mentioned. Here's a recipe from a website:

1/8 cup buttermilk
1 cup wheat flour
1-1/4 gallons of water

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gt_org...693956,00.html

Have you found any of these concoctions to work for you?

This one, no, but I have had people say it did work for them. And it even
turns up on some extension service websites:
http://everest.ento.vt.edu/~idlab/ve...idermites.html

OK. I'm sure it did. Unfortunately none of the organic products or
concoctions have ever worked for us. Many people claim Neem Oil worked for
them and it did nothing to even slow them down in my garden. I threw away
another $10, $12 for the Neem Oil. The light oil "Organicide" did damage
the plants as I thought it might. The mites continue on but the white fly
population was cut by maybe 25%. Hardly worth the expense. I would like to
know what organic or inorganic actually works on mites other than Kelthane
which I can't get anymore. Kelthane was the only product I ever had that
killed the mites in two sprayings.

And the following article references a study which found that "(f)our
applications
have been shown to kill 95 % of red spider mite infestation."
http://www.infonet-biovision.org/def...anicPesticides

Actually it says: "Flour preparations Flour mixed in water *is said to be*
very effective against aphids and spider mites.." I'm curious, said by who?
Where were the experiments done and by who? I couldn't find any further
information.

But having seed your pictures (after my post) it looks like your
infestation is
so bad that burning everything would be the best thing at this point. I'd
maybe
even consider running a flame over every inch of garden.

No one I know has ever seen such an infestation of whitefly and spider mite,
including the extension agent. The heat, low humidity and lack of rain is
certainly contributing to this infestation. In fact it's spreading across
the grass, other wild plants and the trees on the property around us. It's
spread to the flower beds. At this point trying to control the mite and
w/flies is a waste of time.

Then hit every dormant shrub or tree in the vicinity of the garden with
some
dormant sprays of oil before they break bud next spring.
Then maybe hit the area with lime sulfur after bud break:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6oozzc
=
http://www.infrc.jp/english/KNF_Data...a/C6-6-238.pdf

We live out in the country so that's impossible. We're surrounded by
woodland and underbrush, weeds and wildflowers. It would take thousands of
dollars and aerial spraying would be required. But thanks for the info.....

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Pat Kiewicz 16-08-2008 01:24 PM

Marie Dodge said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Marie Dodge said:

In reference to wheat flour/buttermilk mite remedy:
Have you found any of these concoctions to work for you?

This one, no, but I have had people say it did work for them.

Actually, I should have said "no, I've never used it myself." I rarely
use any pesticides these day, and even those are mainly limited to soap
and pyrethrin.

Many people claim Neem Oil worked for
them and it did nothing to even slow them down in my garden.

Neem oil has some very few legitimate uses but is touted as a panacea.
And there is no such thing as a panacea. I would have warned you off
that...

I would like to
know what organic or inorganic actually works on mites other than
Kelthane
which I can't get anymore. Kelthane was the only product I ever had that
killed the mites in two sprayings.

Lime sulfur, maybe, as per info at: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6oozzc

(Lime sulfur is a long-standing remedy for a long list of mites, including
mange mites and chiggers as well as horticultural pests.)

BUT! I wouldn't expect any remedy (even Kelthane, if you could get it) to
help at this point. But dusts (flour or mineral) are legitimate remedies
for insects and mite pests. Call them 'particle films' and they even sound
....exciting:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6j3m22

Which takes you to:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles...ook%20Chapter%
20Particle%20Film%20Technolgy.pdf

That document contains the following line:

"Although not mineral-based, Ghate and Marshall (1962) suppressed eggs
and mobile forms of European red mite and two-spotted spider mites with a
combination of buttermilk and wheat flour."

The kaolin-based product, Surround (R), which is mention in the
document cited above, is available mail-order to home gardeners from
various places (if anyone is interested).

Then hit every dormant shrub or tree in the vicinity of the garden with
some
dormant sprays of oil before they break bud next spring.
Then maybe hit the area with lime sulfur after bud break:

We live out in the country so that's impossible. We're surrounded by
woodland and underbrush, weeds and wildflowers. It would take
thousands of
dollars and aerial spraying would be required. But thanks for the info.....

Hell, even people who *don't* live out in the country are surrounded by
other peoples yards with plenty of trees, bushes, weeds and flowers
which are *completely* beyond their control, let alone being beyond their
*budget*! Why did you assume I meant such a hugely extensive action?

Perhaps I should have thrown in the word "immediate" before "vicinity."
As in, if you have a row of raspberries, or a hedge row, or a couple
of peach trees next to the garden, spray *them* (they almost certainly
need the protection, after what's happened this year).

Next year, you will need to invest in prevention, which is always less
expensive and more effective than trying to cure. (Prevention is
less expensive, though not FREE.)

Right now you are hit hard with "throwing good money after bad"
regret/anger, and the fact that the most reasonable action at this point is
to destroy everything you planted for this year, which hurts.

HURTS BIGTIME!

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Billy[_5_] 16-08-2008 07:25 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

In article ,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

But thanks for the info.....

I'll second that. Very informative post. Thank you Pat.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Marie Dodge 17-08-2008 03:08 AM

Marie Dodge said:

In reference to wheat flour/buttermilk mite remedy:
Have you found any of these concoctions to work for you?

This one, no, but I have had people say it did work for them.

Actually, I should have said "no, I've never used it myself." I rarely
use any pesticides these day, and even those are mainly limited to soap
and pyrethrin.

I know what you mean. I seldom had bug/insect problems in my gardens. This
is the first wf and sm I've ever seen here. Usually just a few tomato horn
worms, a squash bug or two and a couple Japanese beetles... they've never
been a problem. Only SBV are here every year.

Many people claim Neem Oil worked for
them and it did nothing to even slow them down in my garden.

Neem oil has some very few legitimate uses but is touted as a panacea.
And there is no such thing as a panacea. I would have warned you off
that...

I have no way to know who tried the products they recommend and who just
makes suggestions because someone told them it worked for their brother's
sister-in-law's tenant's daughter.... you know what I mean.

I would like to
know what organic or inorganic actually works on mites other than
Kelthane
which I can't get anymore. Kelthane was the only product I ever had that
killed the mites in two sprayings.

Lime sulfur, maybe, as per info at: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6oozzc
(Lime sulfur is a long-standing remedy for a long list of mites, including
mange mites and chiggers as well as horticultural pests.)

After looking at the one garden today I don't think it would matter anymore.
The season ends here in Mid October. There's no time left to get a pepper
crop. The damage to the plants is too severe. Too many weeks wasted trying
things people recommended that didn't work, or barely worked. The smelly
Organicide is slowing working, but it's too late now. It will take to long.

BUT! I wouldn't expect any remedy (even Kelthane, if you could get it) to
help at this point. But dusts (flour or mineral) are legitimate remedies
for insects and mite pests. Call them 'particle films' and they even
sound
...exciting:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6j3m22

I would love to find an organic answer. Very interesting read. Thanks. :^)

Which takes you to:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles...ook%20Chapter%
20Particle%20Film%20Technolgy.pdf

That document contains the following line:

"Although not mineral-based, Ghate and Marshall (1962) suppressed eggs
and mobile forms of European red mite and two-spotted spider mites with a
combination of buttermilk and wheat flour."

The kaolin-based product, Surround (R), which is mention in the
document cited above, is available mail-order to home gardeners from
various places (if anyone is interested).

I'll look for it locally. Shipping today often costs more than or the same
as the product itself. And at this point these plants are hardly worth
pouring more money on.

We live out in the country so that's impossible. We're surrounded by
woodland and underbrush, weeds and wildflowers. It would take
thousands of
dollars and aerial spraying would be required. But thanks for the
info.....

Hell, even people who *don't* live out in the country are surrounded by
other peoples yards with plenty of trees, bushes, weeds and flowers
which are *completely* beyond their control, let alone being beyond their
*budget*! Why did you assume I meant such a hugely extensive action?

Sorry, must have misunderstood you.

Perhaps I should have thrown in the word "immediate" before "vicinity."
As in, if you have a row of raspberries, or a hedge row, or a couple
of peach trees next to the garden, spray *them* (they almost certainly
need the protection, after what's happened this year).

Oh... OK. Gotcha. :^)

Next year, you will need to invest in prevention, which is always less
expensive and more effective than trying to cure. (Prevention is
less expensive, though not FREE.)
Right now you are hit hard with "throwing good money after bad"
regret/anger, and the fact that the most reasonable action at this point
is
to destroy everything you planted for this year, which hurts.

HURTS BIGTIME!

Yep, it's got one week for us to see serious improvement. If none, then
everything from that garden is being burned, cremated. The ashes will be
spread out by the road. We're not using anything from the gardens for
compost this year. We found a place to get loads of mulch to compost from
the city. It's all shredded tree limbs, bark and leaves. Next year I'll
start spraying the plants the day I set them out.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Penelope Periwinkle 17-08-2008 04:59 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:51:19 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

No one I know has ever seen such an infestation of whitefly and spider mite,
including the extension agent.

Do they make dark shadows on your screens at night? Do you have
to wear a bandana when you're working in the garden to avoid
ingesting bunches of whiteflies with each breath? Do they make
pretty abstract patterns on the wall of the house where the
morning sun first hits? Cause, that's what it was like when I
moved into this house in June of 2001.

Something was clearly out of whack with the food chain for such
an explosion of the white fly population. And...spit! thrips,
they were just not as obvious at first.

So, I started releasing lacewings. The yard was horribly
overgrown, so I also cut back or completely down shrubs and weedy
trees that looked like they were especially overwhelmed by the
whiteflies. I released some ladybugs, too, and the next spring
released more lacewings and ladybugs. I talked to my neighbors
with varying success about not using broad spectrum pesticides,
and made sure they all knew what ladybug and lacewing larva
looked like. It took 2 years (and 3 summers) but things finally
swung back into better balance. I still get a whitefly outbreak
every summer, but I put yellow sticky traps out around the garden
for a little extra protection, and let nature take its course
elsewhere. Of course, I get all tingly and feel like an Uber
Garden Geek when I find ladybug eggs or lacewing larva on a plant
that has whitefly. I've been down right orgasmic over the
proliferation of squirrel treefrogs this year, too.

The heat, low humidity and lack of rain is
certainly contributing to this infestation. In fact it's spreading across
the grass, other wild plants and the trees on the property around us. It's
spread to the flower beds. At this point trying to control the mite and
w/flies is a waste of time.

Yeah, we were in our fifth year of drought when I moved out here.
I'm sure that contributed to the pest explosion.

Penelope

- "pointed"

John Savage 18-08-2008 06:36 AM

"Marie Dodge" writes:
Actually it says: "Flour preparations Flour mixed in water *is said to be*
very effective against aphids and spider mites.." I'm curious, said by who?

You might be interested in an aphid spray I use. 1 part denatured alcohol +
3 parts water. Spray onto the pests. They cease moving immediately, and more
importantly, never move again. I have not found it to harm any plants, but
there is nothing stopping you hosing it off 10 mins after applying if you
wish, as by then it has done its job. As always, it would be wise to do a
test spraying on just one plant initially, and then on the others 2 or 3
days later. I've found it ideal for killing aphids clustered on the tender
new tips of plants such as roses and lemons.

Denatured alcohol is called "methylated spirits" here in Australia. It's
just ethyl alcohol with a trace amount of an evil-tasting stuff to stop
people drinking it and evading the alcohol tax. (You could use cheap vodka
in place of the alcohol I suppose!!)

You could try it on spider mite. I have used it on small grubs, but doubt
that it would kill whitefly.

We live out in the country so that's impossible. We're surrounded by
woodland and underbrush, weeds and wildflowers. It would take thousands of
dollars and aerial spraying would be required. But thanks for the info.....

I read that aphids can over-winter on thistles. Skeptical, next winter I
took a closer look. They sure do: the leaves were thick with aphids. Then
I found one milk thistle with no aphids on its leaves. I pulled it up and
found its roots clad in an overcoat with aphids! So one measure you could
take is to make sure there are no milk thistles in fallow parts of your
garden.

polecanoe 19-08-2008 04:11 AM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

marie:
It sounds like you ruined your plants with all the sprays. you need to read
a good book about integrated pest management, and realize that most sprays
have adverse impacts. you obviously have no clue of the cumulative adverse
impacts of all the chemicals you used. those plants are living things, not
machines. Think for a minute, if you are klilling your plants, what it will
do to you to eat those peppers? then think about all the money you wasted
growing toxic peppers.

I have grown large quantitites of peppers for over 30 years with no
pesticides and only year had a virus problem late in the season associated
with unusual cold and wet weather. Mites and whiteflies should not be a
problem outdoors, their natural enemies will take care of them, but you
killed their natural enemies. remove and compost your plants, forget about
mites. and plant hairy vetch as a cover crop to prepare for next year.

Marie Dodge 22-08-2008 09:54 PM

wrote:

No one I know has ever seen such an infestation of whitefly and spider
mite,
including the extension agent.

Do they make dark shadows on your screens at night? Do you have
to wear a bandana when you're working in the garden to avoid
ingesting bunches of whiteflies with each breath?

Yes. I must use a bandanna not to inhale them. I haven't looked at the
window screens at night.

Do they make
pretty abstract patterns on the wall of the house where the
morning sun first hits? Cause, that's what it was like when I
moved into this house in June of 2001.

The type we have do not leave the plants.

Something was clearly out of whack with the food chain for such
an explosion of the white fly population. And...spit! thrips,
they were just not as obvious at first.

So, I started releasing lacewings. The yard was horribly
overgrown, so I also cut back or completely down shrubs and weedy
trees that looked like they were especially overwhelmed by the
whiteflies. I released some ladybugs, too, and the next spring
released more lacewings and ladybugs.

As I mentioned in another post. My ex-husband released these same
"beneficials" plus a third (I can't recall the 3rd one) in the old garden
where I used to live. In 48 hours we couldn't find one left! Not one, but
the pests were still there. And even back then they were expensive. How did
you keep them from flying away?

I talked to my neighbors
with varying success about not using broad spectrum pesticides,
and made sure they all knew what ladybug and lacewing larva
looked like. It took 2 years (and 3 summers) but things finally
swung back into better balance. I still get a whitefly outbreak
every summer, but I put yellow sticky traps out around the garden
for a little extra protection, and let nature take its course
elsewhere. Of course, I get all tingly and feel like an Uber
Garden Geek when I find ladybug eggs or lacewing larva on a plant
that has whitefly. I've been down right orgasmic over the
proliferation of squirrel treefrogs this year, too.

I'd like to know how you kept them in your garden. I know my ex-husband was
bitterly disappointed they were all gone in 2 or maybe 3 days leaving him
with a nice charge on his chargecard and the pests still there to deal with.
I'm not sure what all was infesting that garden but do remember the cucumber
beetles, root worms on the root crops, corn ear worms, SVBs, tomato horn
worms and something that about wiped out the asparagus as he waited for the
beneficials to arrive. He bought some pesticide from a local Co-op and
sprayed the garden several times.... but that was apparently before all
these insects and bugs developed immunity because it took care of the
problem quickly. I remember the corn, rootcrops and squash being a total
loss. He sprayed them too late but we did save the other crops.

The heat, low humidity and lack of rain is
certainly contributing to this infestation. In fact it's spreading across
the grass, other wild plants and the trees on the property around us. It's
spread to the flower beds. At this point trying to control the mite and
w/flies is a waste of time.

Yeah, we were in our fifth year of drought when I moved out here.
I'm sure that contributed to the pest explosion.

Something is, that's for sure. Oddly enough the two older gardens only have
whitefly and are still producing. The garden with the spider-mite and WF is
a total loss - and that's the new garden that laid fallow two years due to
my accident. It's never been sprayed with anything.

Penelope

- "pointed"

Marie Dodge 22-08-2008 11:22 PM

+
3 parts water. Spray onto the pests. They cease moving immediately, and
more
importantly, never move again. I have not found it to harm any plants,
but
there is nothing stopping you hosing it off 10 mins after applying if you
wish, as by then it has done its job. As always, it would be wise to do a
test spraying on just one plant initially, and then on the others 2 or 3
days later. I've found it ideal for killing aphids clustered on the tender
new tips of plants such as roses and lemons.

Thanks for the info John. Aphids haven't been a problem here at all but
will try it if some appear. I haven't seen an aphid in ages. The 2-spotted
spider mite and common Whitefly appear to be immune to everything including
oils (summer and Neem). Today I noticed my prize Gardenia on the back porch
has MEALY BUGS!!!!!!!! :*(

Marie Dodge 22-08-2008 11:26 PM

"polecanoe" wrote in message
marie:
It sounds like you ruined your plants with all the sprays.

Uh no, what ruined them is using useless organic sprays and powders,
allowing the pests to reach proportions that no chemical can now control.
By the time I turned to chemicals it was too late. The plants were too far
gone with spider mites and the w/flies to save.

Pro-organic rant snipped.

R M. Watkin 23-08-2008 04:15 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

Hi All,

wrote:

[...]

Try washing up liquid. It is cheap and effective.

Richard M. Watkin.

Penelope

- "pointed"

Marie Dodge 26-08-2008 01:47 AM

"R M. Watkin" wrote in message

Try washing up liquid. It is cheap and effective.

What is "washing up liquid" and why would it work when the other organic
pesticides failed completely? Do you have any sites where experiments were
done proving this washing-up-liquid actually works on WF and SP?

jellybean stonerfish 26-08-2008 02:56 AM

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:47:15 -0500, Marie Dodge wrote:

"R M. Watkin" wrote in message

Try washing up liquid. It is cheap and effective.

What is "washing up liquid" and why would it work when the other organic
pesticides failed completely? Do you have any sites where experiments
were done proving this washing-up-liquid actually works on WF and SP?

Soap you use for washing. You make a spray and wash away the aphids and
other little buggers. Organic is great. Try Dr. Bronner's peppermint
soap. Kills them dead. Or instead of poison, a cheaper alternative
would be "Joy" or "Dawn". Whatever liquid dish soap you use for hand
washing. If you get a sprayer, you can do it larger scale. Look for the
problems, and spray/wash them away.

p.s. Dish soap water also makes an excellent wasp killer. You can
spray a nest overhead, with no worries about overspray. They can't fly,
drop to the ground instantly, and die in seconds.

http://www.drbronner.com/

stonerfish

Marie Dodge 26-08-2008 07:48 AM

"R M. Watkin" wrote in message

Try washing up liquid. It is cheap and effective.

What is "washing up liquid" and why would it work when the other organic
pesticides failed completely? Do you have any sites where experiments
were done proving this washing-up-liquid actually works on WF and SP?

Soap you use for washing. You make a spray and wash away the aphids and
other little buggers.

How do YOU wash them away in your gardens with detergents? Do you have a
special high power sprayer made for such sprays? How do you kill them when
they hit the ground? Step on them all? If you don't kill them once washed
off they'll crawl and fly right back onto the plants. How do you manage to
use enough pressure to dislodge them and not shread the leaves?

Organic is great. Try Dr. Bronner's peppermint
soap. Kills them dead.

So you tried this Peppermint soap on both 2-spot-SpiderMites and Whitefly?
Don't you remember I was told the other organic products would kill them
dead and not one worked as claimed? Since all the other organic products
failed, why would you think this one would work?

Or instead of poison, a cheaper alternative
would be "Joy" or "Dawn". Whatever liquid dish soap you use for hand
washing. If you get a sprayer, you can do it larger scale. Look for the
problems, and spray/wash them away.

How did you wash them away? How many pounds of pressure did it take to
dislodge your spider mites and whitefly? How did you wash off the nymphs
without shredding the leaves due to pressure? Since you believe these
organic potions work, please explain why all the others failed and how many
more will be recommended as long as a person keeps trying them? Just
wondering. :) From the website... this sounds like typical snake-oil:

Dr. Bronner’s is Celebrating Our 60th Anniversary! 5 Generations and 150
Years of Soapmaking Excellence
Marking the 60th Anniversary of the company, *Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps* is
pleased to announce that all classic liquid & bar soaps.........

p.s. Dish soap water also makes an excellent wasp killer. You can
spray a nest overhead, with no worries about overspray. They can't fly,
drop to the ground instantly, and die in seconds.

Why would soap kill them in seconds when it's not a poison? Have you done
this yourself with wasps or is this something you read on an organic site
selling "magic soaps?"

http://www.drbronner.com/

stonerfish

Pat Kiewicz 26-08-2008 12:14 PM

Marie Dodge said:

Why would soap kill them in seconds when it's not a poison? Have you
done this yourself with wasps or is this something you read on an
organic site selling "magic soaps?"

Now you even have me believing you are in this for the trolling.

Lady, soap solution kills insects. Kills them fast. Soap kills earwigs
lickety split, even though actual over-the-counter poisons barely slow
them down.. You have to be sure to cover them with soap spray.
I have personally murdered hosts of earwigs and aphids with soap.
And I have accidentally killed a few bees with it. If someone says
he's killed wasps with soap spray, I'm inclined to believe him.

The only caution is that soap can also damage plant leaves. And the
solutionto *that* is to come back around and rinse the plants off after
the pests are killed.

Cornell sez:
Insecticidal soap products work by smothering soft bodied pests and
disrupting their cuticle layer. In order to be effective, it is necessary to
thoroughly coat the pest. After the soap dries on the plant surface, insects
and mites will not pick up a lethal dose.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/res...mfs/12soap.php

After enlightenment, the laundry.

R M. Watkin 26-08-2008 03:56 PM

Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

Hi Marie,

"R M. Watkin" wrote in message

Try washing up liquid. It is cheap and effective.

What is "washing up liquid" and why would it work when the other organic
pesticides failed completely? Do you have any sites where experiments
were done proving this washing-up-liquid actually works on WF and SP?

It is a liquid soap used for washing dishes in the U, K. It works for me
that is all I can say. How it works I do not know. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

jellybean stonerfish 27-08-2008 05:11 AM

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 01:48:58 -0500, Marie Dodge wrote:

Why would soap kill them in seconds when it's not a poison? Have you
done this yourself with wasps or is this something you read on an
organic site selling "magic soaps?"

The soap makes the water wetter. It soaks into their skin and they die.
I think maybe they breath through their skin and this makes them drown.
I don't know what happens, just that the soap kills them, and they are
dead. And you don't need special soap for aphids or white flies. Because
my friend is worried about chemicals, we used Dr. Bronners on her iris's,
and gave them a quick wipe between fingers. Also we misted her mint and
rosemary, with now fear of using them in the future. The white fly
infestation is now gone.
Now, about the wasps. My job is construction. Many times, when working
at someones house, I will encounter a wasp nest. Someone showed me the
soapy water trick many years ago. Fill a pan or large bowl with soapy
water. Fling it on the wasp nest. Done.

stonerfish