Old 17-08-2008, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Insect Identification

I was out picking the day's crop of cherry tomatoes from my sole surviving
vine (a long sad story) and spotted a miniature mud structure attached to
the underside of one leaf. Overall the structure looks to be 18-20mm long
and the opening is certainly no more than 2mm. Appearance is that of mud
and we certainly have a lot of mud dauber wasps around here so I know what
it looks like after insects have worked with it. On the theory that many
wasps parasitise harmful insects I've left this in place. I've seen no
inhabitants coming or going.

http://johnmcgaw.com/Uru/wasp_nest.jpg

Any ideas would be appreciated. I find nothing in my guide books.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 17-08-2008, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

perhaps a potter wasp ?
John T.

Old 17-08-2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I was out picking the day's crop of cherry tomatoes from my sole surviving
vine (a long sad story) and spotted a miniature mud structure attached to
the underside of one leaf. Overall the structure looks to be 18-20mm long
and the opening is certainly no more than 2mm. Appearance is that of mud
and we certainly have a lot of mud dauber wasps around here so I know what
it looks like after insects have worked with it. On the theory that many
wasps parasitise harmful insects I've left this in place. I've seen no
inhabitants coming or going.

http://johnmcgaw.com/Uru/wasp_nest.jpg

Any ideas would be appreciated. I find nothing in my guide books.

I found several references to potter wasps but most of the pictures showed
a structure that looked more like a blob and this one was exquisitely
detailed, especially the opening. Later I located a picture that showed a
yellow potter wasp with a nest that looked just right. My confusion now is
how such a big wasp (listed at 25mm long) looking fairly large in the
thorax could possibly make use of that tiny opening. But based on the
picture it certainly looks like the best fit so far.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaipu/195202407/

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 17-08-2008, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

[...]

If you open the mud dome you will find a spider, worm, caterpillar, etc,
that the wasp has stung, deposited it's eggs, and sealed it in. The wasp
young will consume the host, and escape the dome.

Old 18-08-2008, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I was out picking the day's crop of cherry tomatoes from my sole surviving
vine (a long sad story) and spotted a miniature mud structure attached to
the underside of one leaf. Overall the structure looks to be 18-20mm long
and the opening is certainly no more than 2mm. Appearance is that of mud
and we certainly have a lot of mud dauber wasps around here so I know what
it looks like after insects have worked with it. On the theory that many
wasps parasitise harmful insects I've left this in place. I've seen no
inhabitants coming or going.

http://johnmcgaw.com/Uru/wasp_nest.jpg

Any ideas would be appreciated. I find nothing in my guide books.

As others have said, it appears to be from a potter wasp, but I must
comment that the nest is so very lovely, one would hate to disturb it.

Ain't nature grand?

Boron