Old 23-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Margaret Paige

Default pink or blue flowers on hibiscus syriacus?

Hi everybody,

A few years ago I bought a blue flowering hibiscus syriacus Blue Bird (I
think). last year it had its first pink flowers and this year the majority
of the flowers have been pink.
Is hibiscus like a hydrangea - flower colour depends on the soil?

Margaret

Old 23-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:18:34 +0200, "Margaret Paige"
wrote:

Hi everybody,

A few years ago I bought a blue flowering hibiscus syriacus Blue Bird (I
think). last year it had its first pink flowers and this year the majority
of the flowers have been pink.
Is hibiscus like a hydrangea - flower colour depends on the soil?

Margaret, I am amazed. I thought it was my eyes or my brain or both.
Mine is the same. I keep looking at the pink flowers feeling sure
they were blue last year and mine was named "Bluebird".
Hopefully someone will give us an answer. I've definitely got
alkaline soil.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Natalie

"Margaret Paige" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

A few years ago I bought a blue flowering hibiscus syriacus Blue Bird (I
think). last year it had its first pink flowers and this year the majority
of the flowers have been pink.
Is hibiscus like a hydrangea - flower colour depends on the soil?

Margaret

My tiny Bluebird had several enormous flowers on it this year...definitely
blue :-)

The large pink one at the school I work has lots of pink flowers...would
much prefer them to be blue ;-)

Natalie

Old 23-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

A few years ago I bought a blue flowering hibiscus syriacus Blue Bird (I
think). last year it had its first pink flowers and this year the majority
of the flowers have been pink.
Is hibiscus like a hydrangea - flower colour depends on the soil?

Margaret, I am amazed. I thought it was my eyes or my brain or both.
Mine is the same. I keep looking at the pink flowers feeling sure
they were blue last year and mine was named "Bluebird".
Hopefully someone will give us an answer. I've definitely got
alkaline soil.

Well, I can't give an answer, but it is not like a hydrangea. My
guess would be temperature and/or water supply.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Margaret Paige

Hallo again,

I posted this question in a Dutch newsgroup too and there someone suggested
it had to do with fertiliser I'd used, though I can't remmeber using any
fertiliser on my hibiscus bush.
Any have any comments/

Margaret

"Margaret Paige" schreef in bericht

Old 24-08-2003, 10:32 PM
annet planten

"Margaret Paige" schreef:

Hallo again,

I posted this question in a Dutch newsgroup too and there someone

suggested
it had to do with fertiliser I'd used, though I can't remmeber using

any
fertiliser on my hibiscus bush.
Any have any comments/

Hi Margaret,
my guess, too, is the weather: unusually hot + dry + much sunlight.
I noticed a change in colour on a perfectly dull lila-flowering
Buddleia, showing whitish-lila flowers all of a sudden.
My guess is that this is the same syndrome.

(I tagged that branch, to propagate and see what comes)

Dag, Annet

Old 24-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Margaret wrote in message

A few years ago I bought a blue flowering hibiscus syriacus Blue Bird (I
think). last year it had its first pink flowers and this year the majority
of the flowers have been pink.
Is hibiscus like a hydrangea - flower colour depends on the soil?

It's funny you should say that as I noticed the bluest flowers I've ever
seen on one in a garden as I drove through Isleworth on Friday, no sign of
any pink, a true blue, such that I've thought of asking the owner what
variety it is. Big flowers too.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 25-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Margaret Paige

Isleworth - where is that? in an area with acid soil I presume

Margaret

"Bob Hobden" schreef in bericht

Old 25-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Bob Hobden

"Margaret wrote in message ...
Isleworth - where is that? in an area with acid soil I presume

I wouldn't think so, more like Thames silt/clay/gravel as it was only a
couple of hundred yards from the river.
Isleworth (pron. eye-zal-worth) is on the opposite bank and downstream to
Kew Gardens, but not as far as Richmond. Some famous painters lived there,
Van Gogh was one I think.

hibiscus syriacus Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 23-08-2010 08:54 PM
hibiscus syriacus Bob Hobden[_3_] Garden Photos 1 23-08-2010 02:10 PM
Moving a Hibiscus syriacus 'Hamabo' Exhausted United Kingdom 1 05-09-2009 08:33 PM
Hibiscus syriacus 'Ruby' Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 11 12-07-2009 10:45 PM
Hibiscus syriacus seed Bob Hobden United Kingdom 2 26-11-2008 01:52 PM