Old 22-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Henry

Default THANKS!-the Hosts was it

Warren;
Thankyou very much-I found the hosts file and deleted it and everything
loads fine now. I viewed the file and it even told me which program made it
and it was no longer active so no problem there. Thanks again for your help!
I also contacted Verizon tech support to close my trouble ticket (they had
no clue ) as I got the help I needed on the gardening newsgroup -they were
not amused but I was . If this is what this group can do on this kind
of problem I can just imagine what kind of help I will get on gardening
questions

Henry

If you're not having problems with other websites, or if there are only
a very small number that you're having problems with, there is something
else that is likely the problem. It's called a HOSTS file.

You'll find your HOSTS file in your Windows directory. It is a simple
text file. It has no extension; it's just "HOSTS". (HOSTS.SAM is a
sample that demonstrates the formatting of the file.) When Windows
encounters a url, it first needs to resolve the DNS address. Before
Windows even goes out and checks the DNS server, it checks the HOSTS
file to see if there is already an entry there for the site.

There are a lot of programs out there that attempt to speed-up or
"optimize" your Internet connection. One of the smoke and mirror tricks
that many use is to create a HOSTS file for you. It'll let you resolve
DNS off the server once, and then it will add that information to the
HOSTS file. Once it's there, Windows will use the information in the
HOSTS file instead of going out to the DNS server. At most you'll save a
second here or there, but when the website changes it's IP address,
which is not an uncommon thing, you're sunk.

If Jung Seeds recently had an IP address change, and it's old IP address
is in your HOSTS file, you may be attempting to sign onto the server
that now has their old IP address. When you used the link I provided
with the IP address, it took you to the right server. The links that
worked probably used relative linking, while the ones that didn't used
absolute linking.

If you find that you do have a HOSTS file, deleting it is the first
step. But if the software that created it is still running, it'll just
start creating a new one. The best solution is to find out what program
is creating the HOSTS file, and get rid of it.

Another less likely possibility is you may have proxy settings in your
Internet options. Go to Start Settings Control Panel Internet
Options Connections, and press the LAN settings button. If any of the
boxes here are checked, you may not be browsing directly to the site,
but to a proxy server, and that proxy server is having a problem
resolving DNS.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

[IMG] code is On

Dutch Elm Disease Hypothesis-- maples are hosts of the vectors Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Plant Science 8 24-08-2010 05:30 PM
OT web hosts K Barrett Orchids 11 21-04-2006 05:39 AM
THANKS - AND THANKS FOR NOTHING Helen J. Foss Gardening 65 21-03-2004 11:12 AM
Thanks, but no thanks, says India to GM food Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 4 26-04-2003 12:31 PM
Thanks, but no thanks, says India to GM food Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 4 18-03-2003 02:44 AM