Old 28-09-2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Potatoes

Is there some weird rule of nature that causes the largest potato to
ALWAYS be the one you pierce with the digging fork? I was noticing that
today. :-(

Steve
Old 28-09-2008, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Steve wrote:

Is there some weird rule of nature that causes the largest potato to
ALWAYS be the one you pierce with the digging fork? I was noticing that
today. :-(

Steve

I dug my potatoes today. Red potatoes of unknown variety. The ones I
planted had smooth skins and the ones I dug up were russeted. I don't
understand that. Wife said they were probably hybrids and reverted
back; I told her it doesn't work that way with potatoes and she yelled
at me. "Yes, dear." :-)

Bob
Old 28-09-2008, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve wrote:
Is there some weird rule of nature that causes the
largest potato to ALWAYS be the one you pierce with
the digging fork?

Not a rule of nature, a law of physics... the larger the potato the
larger the target area presented, plus larger potatoes offer more
resistance to being pushed aside. Perhaps you need to begin your
digging a bit further from the potato plant... and once the soil is
loosened use your hands.