Old 23-10-2008, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help out an autumn newbie

SteveB wrote:
I live in SW Utah, zone 6 or 10 depending on the map I look at. It's
confusing.

I need to go out and torch the weeds in my garden and start for fall.

What would be a good itinerary?

Torch weeds

Why would you torch the weeds? Unless you have had an exceptional
amount of rain, things get very dry in the fall and wildfire danger
is high. I'd pull them up and send tot he landfill. Composting them
will just add weed seeds back to your garden.

gp
Old 23-10-2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Gloria P
wrote:

SteveB wrote:
I live in SW Utah, zone 6 or 10 depending on the map I look at. It's
confusing.

I need to go out and torch the weeds in my garden and start for fall.

What would be a good itinerary?

Torch weeds

Why would you torch the weeds? Unless you have had an exceptional
amount of rain, things get very dry in the fall and wildfire danger
is high. I'd pull them up and send tot he landfill. Composting them
will just add weed seeds back to your garden.

gp

A properly maintained compost heap gets warm enough that no seeds survive.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 23-10-2008, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "SteveB"
wrote:

I live in SW Utah, zone 6 or 10 depending on the map I look at. It's
confusing.

I need to go out and torch the weeds in my garden and start for fall.

What would be a good itinerary?

Torch weeds
Till
Fill with organic stuff
Make sure irrigation is in place
Cultivate mounds and rows

What about plants to plant now for winter. I got grapes, raspberries, peach
trees (2), nectarine tree, almond trees (2) apple tree.

I know I need to just go to the library and local nursery, as they have
these things in stock at the proper times. They have been super helpful
when I've gone there before, therefore stealing the business from Star, the
local supermarket nursery.

Help me through this first fall..............

Steve

Find a wholesale source and plant bazillions of bulbs on the periphery of
everywhere. Miniature narcissus will quite often naturalize. Little
muscari "grape hyacinths" almost always naturalize. Fancy ass giant
hyacinths usually perennialize, but don't spread. "Darwin" tulips
perennialize for three or four years but don't spread. The majority of
crocuses completely naturalize and are real late-winter heralds of spring.
English and spanish bluebells naturalize and spread easily and do really
well even when shrubs and trees overshadow them, come in white and pink as
well as the regular ol' blue.

You might consider mulching with well-composted cow manure if weeds are a
problem. Plus keeps the soil "refurbished" so you'll rarely need
fertilizer. Torching weeds does add some potasium to the soil but in
general weeds don't actually mind being torched, you're not damaging their
roots, and they grow back stronger than ever.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 23-10-2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

Old 23-10-2008, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Gloria P" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
I live in SW Utah, zone 6 or 10 depending on the map I look at. It's
confusing.

I need to go out and torch the weeds in my garden and start for fall.

What would be a good itinerary?

Torch weeds

Why would you torch the weeds? Unless you have had an exceptional amount
of rain, things get very dry in the fall and wildfire danger
is high. I'd pull them up and send tot he landfill. Composting them will
just add weed seeds back to your garden.

gp

I live in an area that is surrounded by sand dunes, and fire is not a
hazard. Burning is common here to clear areas and dispose of trash.

Steve

Old 23-10-2008, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"paghat" wrote in message
In article , "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

Thank you, ratgirl. Wow! Someone answered the question.

Are you married?

Steve