Old 27-10-2008, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Great sweetcorn challenge

The sweetcorn challenge has started in earnest.

Roy across the road has lent me part of his back yard vege garden this
spring & summer.

I decided sweetcorn.

He said I should fork the earth over, lime it and then take it to a
reasonable tilth, dig furrows and plant. He likes to do things the normal
way.

I simply go down a line, dib a small hole and drop the seed in. I am happy
with a minimal till spproach.

Having prepared one half of the bed his way I planted 4 rows of corn.

The other 1/2 pf the bed I simply went along and dibbled a small hole and
planted down the line I went. 4 and 1/2 rows of corn.

All up, 70 potential corn plants.

I dug a furrow between each row and dropped in some slow release
fertiliser - blood n bone and some pelletised sheep poop. That should keep
the plants fed through the growing season. In the hot summer months I will
supplement with a nitrogen liquid feed (watered down urine).

Almost as much fun as the Great Tui Sneak.

Roys methods vs mine. The loser buys the winner a round at the local club.
My the best corn grow.

rob

Old 28-10-2008, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

Why plant them all at once? What will you do if you have a bumper crop that
is all ready in the same week?

How far apart are the rows? Being wind pollinated you may be better
planting in blocks so the pollen is concentrated.

David

David