Old 13-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Registered User

Question Greenhouse crypton factor

Can anyone help? We have acquired a second hand greenhouse, 6 x 4 i think, possibly the next size up. However, we now need to try to erect it and all we have is bits and no manual, also, all of the black seal type stuff (very thin) has come off and i'm not sure where to get some replacement from or if it is necessary at all. It has an aluminium frame. I'm desperate to get it up and start using it as it has been stored flat for over a year now mainly because we are struggling to work out where on earth to start!!! Another worry i have is that we do live on top of a fairly big hill in Wales and am wondering how to position it in order to minimize wind disruption. I look forward to getting any advice and thank you in advance for taking the time to give it. Kelly
Old 13-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly T View Post
Can anyone help? We have acquired a second hand greenhouse, 6 x 4 i think, possibly the next size up. However, we now need to try to erect it and all we have is bits and no manual, also, all of the black seal type stuff (very thin) has come off and i'm not sure where to get some replacement from or if it is necessary at all. It has an aluminium frame. I'm desperate to get it up and start using it as it has been stored flat for over a year now mainly because we are struggling to work out where on earth to start!!! Another worry i have is that we do live on top of a fairly big hill in Wales and am wondering how to position it in order to minimize wind disruption. I look forward to getting any advice and thank you in advance for taking the time to give it. Kelly
I don't envy you. You need to lay some sort of level surface - concrete blocks or paving slabs. I would orientate it so that the door faces E or NE and the short end faces the prevailing wind. I don't know what you mean by black seal. Our aluminium greenhouse had metal clips to hold the glass. I think you can buy bags of these in DIY stores. It will be really important to only use undamaged glass - any gaps will let the wind in and you could lose most of the glass in a gale. If you don't have all the glass, it might be worth thinking about using polycarbonate sheets for some or all of the gaps. This is more expensive than glass and doesn't let as much light in, but it is more durable and can be trimmed if some of the gaps aren't completely square. Hope I haven't put you off!