Old 07-12-2008, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Favorite garden markers?

Iıve a few plants scattered about that I either want to know they
exist or they need more attention. Large new perennials I mark with
ceramic stakes red and yellow which are about three feet tall. Yellow
means check moisture. Red means may have to be moved.
But then there is the every day just Id a plant of interest. I use
JohnnieŒs remay fabric red holders. Works well for a year but the red
gets bleached out in time and they become brittle.
Was wondering what you folks value to deal with these issues.

Bill 28 F with 45 mph gusts

PS.

Guess you know of the ³Fireman³ album ³Electric Arguments³ with Sir
Paul.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 7, 8:58 am, Bill wrote:
Iıve a few plants scattered about that I either want to know they
exist or they need more attention. Large new perennials I mark with
ceramic stakes red and yellow which are about three feet tall. Yellow
means check moisture. Red means may have to be moved.
But then there is the every day just Id a plant of interest. I use
JohnnieŒs remay fabric red holders. Works well for a year but the red
gets bleached out in time and they become brittle.
Was wondering what you folks value to deal with these issues.

Bill 28 F with 45 mph gusts

PS.

Guess you know of the ³Fireman³ album ³Electric Arguments³ with Sir
Paul.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Bill
My favorite plant markers are vinyl mini blinds. You can cut them to
any
length you want with scissors. Get them for practically nothing at
garage
sales or have somebody save their broken ones or get them out of the
trash. Write on them with pencil and its lasts 'forever'. Don't use
the
"permanent" markers; they wash right off!
Emilie
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

08/12/08

In Singapore where it rains a lot, I have used the cut up Venetian blinds
previously but eventually they will rust from the edges even under the baked
on enamelling. Pencil works well on them.
I have since begun using simple plastic knives ; the kind that were used on
airlines when they feared hijackings and for children's parties. They can be
bought in quantity very cheaply.

It is an easy way , just stick the operational knife part in the soil/pot
using the handle as the reader part.
I inscribe the name in pencil as indelible ink fades in our strong sunlight.
Eventually algae will form on the knife and the pencil marking will not be
so clear, but it will suffice if one does not want to use an expensive
proprietary system.
Algae also forms on aluminium strips.

Best wishes from a gardener from Singapore