Old 28-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire, UK
Smile Vegetables and fruit

Hi, I'm new to this forum so not sure whether this is the fruit and veg page!!

Does anyone know how big a pot has to be to grow rhubarb please? I grow all my veg in pots (tomatoes, French beans, courgettes, sweet peppers, mini cucumber etc).
Also, is it possible to grow dwarf/small apple, pear, plum trees etc in pots/containers?

Thanks
Old 28-12-2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Vegetables and fruit

In article ,
colliebird wrote:

Hi, I'm new to this forum so not sure whether this is the fruit and veg
page!!

Actually, you'd be better off in rec.gardens.edible. As often as not,
this group is about lawns, maintenance of aging machinery, and the
overuse of potent plant poisons.

Does anyone know how big a pot has to be to grow rhubarb please?

A rule of thumb is that the root system will take as much space as the
foliage will.
grow all my veg in pots (tomatoes, French beans, courgettes, sweet
peppers, mini cucumber etc).
Also, is it possible to grow dwarf/small apple, pear, plum trees etc in
pots/containers?

Thanks

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 29-12-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

colliebird wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this forum so not sure whether this is the fruit and
veg page!!

Does anyone know how big a pot has to be to grow rhubarb please? I
grow all my veg in pots (tomatoes, French beans, courgettes, sweet
peppers, mini cucumber etc).

Rhubarb is easy to grow if you keep the water and manure up to it. You
would get a reasonable clump growing in a 60cm (2ft) tub. You will get a
few sticks to grow in a 30cm (1ft) pot but I am assuming you want enough for
a plate of pie without killing the clump.

Also, is it possible to grow dwarf/small apple, pear, plum trees etc
in pots/containers?

It is. They still need full sun and you have to monitor their water and
nutrients carefully as they use up their resources more quickly than in the
ground.

David