Old 18-02-2009, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What are you all starting from seed?

wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 07:11:05 -0600, Jangchub
wrote:

I've germinated and transplanted into 4" pots Black Eyed Susan
vine and some time today I have to transplant the seedlings of
amaranth, (Love Lies Bleeding), Salvia 'Black and Blue,' S.
coccinea, Texas Star Hibiscus and I'll have to look at what else
germinated.

is Love Lies Bleeding also an edible amaranth? my 8 year old son
wants to put in a rather ambitious entry garden this spring summer
(he's been digging an ornamental pond for 3 years now. the deep end
is now 4', so we'll put in the liners & pump/filters this year). i
was thinking the Love Lie Bleeding might be nice flanking the
beginning of the walkway at the driveway...
and it's way to early to be starting anything here yet. maybe in
late March, although i might try a couple tomatoes earlier to put
out under Wall O'Water covers in April. there's a few tomatoes
coming up in the tortoise cages.

Will probably wait almost a month before putting in
the lemon cucumber seeds. (Anybody ever grown those?
Delicate flavor).

they'll take over the garden! i sincerely doubt i'll have to plant
any this year, i had so many go overripe last summer. i'll have
volunteer lemon cukes everywhere (including the pasture, since i
tossed a bunch to the goats)

Kept some beet thinnings, and will try transplanting after the
rain. Have never had great luck transplanting thinnings, like
carrots. Irrational aversion to just discarding the poor little
things.

make soup with the carrot thinnings. carrot top soup is quite
good.
lee