Old 19-02-2009, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What are you all starting from seed?

On Feb 17, 6:11*am, Jangchub wrote:
I finally have some interest in gardening again! *The greenhouse is
completely full of my tubs of Brugmansia's, mini-roses which never
stopped blooming since last spring (!) and three flats of Bulbine I
made from *one large plant, some pink prickly cactus.

I've germinated and transplanted into 4" pots Black Eyed Susan vine
and some time today I have to transplant the seedlings of amaranth,
(Love Lies Bleeding), Salvia 'Black and Blue,' S. coccinea, Texas Star
Hibiscus and I'll have to look at what else germinated.

It actually rained here a bit yesterday and tomorrow I plan on
starting to rake out and weed the front beds and get the bare root
perennials I bought potted up. *It was so dry that I lost my canna
'Tropicana' last summer. *I did water it, but it was just never
enough. *This year the shade beds will get a bunch of ferns, native
yellow columbine and I am moving the Mexican honeysuckle. *That plant
has not stopped blooming all summer and winter last year and even
though hit with light frosts, continues now to bloom. * I want that
closer to where I can observe the hummingbirds.

Just rambling...

I started some Maverick lavender geraniums a couple of weeks ago and
most of them are just past the two leaf stage.

As an experiment I started some Afghan sesame seeds about a month
ago. Most of them died when I forgot to water one day, which was
helpful in getting the seedlings down to a manageable number. They
are very slow to get past the two leaf stage though, so I have moved
them a bit closer to the lights.

I'm starting with my longer season tomatoes, which will be Kosovo and
Golden Dwarf Champion this year. I plan to start 3 shorter season
tomatoes in a week or two.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to start some black pearl pepper
seeds now as well. I've promised the seedlings to a gardening friend
in exchange for some trailing pansies.

And then there are the seeds outside in my winter sowing jugs:
columbines, rock cress, nigella, setosa, iris, sea holly, prairie
smoke and pansies. But they aren't doing anything but sitting outside
in the cold of course.

Dora
Zone 3