Old 04-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered User

Default Pruning a beech hedge

This Beech hedge is approximately two and a half years old and approx.2ft 6 inches high.

Someone mentioned that it needs cutting back in order to thicken or 'stool' it i.e. get side shoots to grow in order to thicken it.

Some native species - hawthorn, blackthorn and holly have been planted in between but these do not seem to be prospering. Someone told me that Beech is quite dominant and will 'poison' other species in its vicinity.

Could someone possibly give me detailed instructions on how to cut the hedge back and thicken it out etc? Also, could it do with a mulch of well rotted farmyard manure?

Thanks in advance-image links below:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...e/P1040915.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...e/P1040916.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...e/P1040917.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...e/P1040918.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...e/P1040919.jpg
Old 17-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Registered User

Update:

I've pruned the hedge but noticed that some of the plants have been planted with the side shoots vertically positioned rather than horizontally so they will grow towards each other to form a hedge.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...e/P1050147.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...e/P1050148.jpg

Is there any need to dig them up and turn them ninety degrees or will they eventually develop side shoots horizontally and join to form a hedge?

If need be, is it too late to dig ?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky View Post
[...]

[IMG] code is On

beech hedge and rhodo ponticum SusieThompson United Kingdom 6 21-12-2011 08:05 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Pruning beech hedge Tim United Kingdom 2 20-11-2004 02:18 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
Beech Hedge - Pruning and Cuttings David United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 09:32 AM