Old 20-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Tim

Default Pruning beech hedge

Hi,
I would like to cut my beech hedge (approx 8 ft high, 60 ft long, 7 ft wide)
back a bit widthwise. Is now a good time to do it, or should I wait until
early spring, before it starts sprouting again? Id like to take it back a
couple of feet on 'our' side, is there any harm in NOT trimming the other
side?
TIA

Old 20-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Tim wrote:
Hi,
I would like to cut my beech hedge (approx 8 ft high, 60 ft long, 7 ft wide)
back a bit widthwise. Is now a good time to do it, or should I wait until
early spring, before it starts sprouting again? Id like to take it back a
couple of feet on 'our' side, is there any harm in NOT trimming the other
side?

I am no beech expert, but my experience is that when you get around
to it is a good time , and that is it generally worth pruning both
sides. The reason is that some plants will shoot preferentially
from younger growth, and will break out from older wood only if
most of the younger wood has been cut back.

That can be taken too far, of course ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-11-2004, 02:18 PM
bnd777

"Tim" wrote in message
Hi,
I would like to cut my beech hedge (approx 8 ft high, 60 ft long, 7 ft

wide)
back a bit widthwise. Is now a good time to do it, or should I wait until
early spring, before it starts sprouting again? Id like to take it back a
couple of feet on 'our' side, is there any harm in NOT trimming the other
side?
TIA

If you are suggesting NOT trimming the other side ........ie
your neighbours is the way to go then many would disagree

If its your hedge then good gardeners trim their side and their neighbours

beech hedge and rhodo ponticum SusieThompson United Kingdom 6 21-12-2011 08:05 PM
Pruning a beech hedge Yorky Gardening 1 17-04-2009 03:54 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
Beech Hedge - Pruning and Cuttings David United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 09:32 AM