Old 14-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered User

Default Cutting back a budded tree

Hello, I need some help from someone!

We got a tree, planted three years ago, and it's just started to bud, but it needs to be cut back. If I cut it back will it get ruined?

Apologies for my lack of gardening terms/knowledge!

Any help appreciated!
Old 14-03-2009, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/14/2009 7:00 AM, mullibum wrote:
Hello, I need some help from someone!

We got a tree, planted three years ago, and it's just started to bud,
but it needs to be cut back. If I cut it back will it get ruined?

Apologies for my lack of gardening terms/knowledge!

Any help appreciated!

It all depends on the type of tree and your climate. What is the tree?
Where are you?

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html
Old 14-03-2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

As a very general statement, the main negative in cutting back a budding
tree is that you may not see new buds again until next year. It all depends
on the tree, and your climate.

Also, cutting back a tree before the last freeze is over, could damage the
tree and/or stunt its growth. Most folks try not to cut back trees until
the Spring time.

If you are in a mild climate, and you don't expect any more freezes this
season, you can cut it back, but you will likely miss this year's blooming,
because you have cut the buds off.

James

Old 14-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Registered User

Thanks for your replies!

I'm in England, and the tree is a Japanese Maple, I'm pretty sure...

Does that make any difference?
Old 15-03-2009, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/14/2009 1:30 PM, mullibum wrote:
Thanks for your replies!

I'm in England, and the tree is a Japanese Maple, I'm pretty sure...

Does that make any difference?

Maples are pruned only for aesthetic purposes. They do quite well
without any pruning.

If temperatures remain below freezing for extended periods in the
winter, prune maples from summer through January. If freezing is
intermittant or rare, prune from summer to the beginning of October.
Thus, it is too early to prune now.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 15-03-2009, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

mullibum wrote:

We got a tree, planted three years ago, and it's just
started to bud,

I'm not sure what you mean by "budded", all trees have buds at all times
throughout their life.

it needs to be cut back.

Why, who says, and how much?

If I cut it back will it get ruined?

What do you mean by ruined, appearance, health? When done correctly pruning
will improve a tree... all trees require and benefit from periodic pruning.
No one can answer your question with specifics until you at very minimum
identify the tree to which you're refering

Old 15-03-2009, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

No one here made the blanket statement that just pruning a tree would stunt
it's growth. But I did say that pruning a tree before the last freeze
will often stunt it's growth for that year, as you described in your
post....

James

Old 17-03-2009, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Experience.

James
-------------------------------

Where do you get it "stunts its growth" from?
Victoria

Old 17-03-2009, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ms. Victoria, you are truly a piece of work.

Get a life.

James

[IMG] code is On

budded paph gerald Orchids 0 24-02-2007 02:25 PM
purchasing budded cats gerald Orchids 5 02-02-2007 07:48 PM
Cutting back apple tree IanW United Kingdom 6 26-10-2004 08:24 PM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM
Source for Potted Budded roses... Theo Asir Roses 0 20-06-2003 04:44 PM