Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-04-2009, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.organic,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Tomatoes in pots, was rec.gardens.organic,...... etc.

Charlie wrote in message
rec.gardens.organic

No activity.

Needs some posts, or x-posts, or some kind of utilization. Waste of a
perfectly good empty lot....needs a community garden....or some
squatters. ;-)

Here ya go...... Bought some tomato plants a couple of days ago and a few
weeks late. The Fall tomatoes I planted in August still had a few edible
ones. The plan was to plant again in whatever I could screen out of the
compost/leaf mould pile, but the new one is in an awkward place to turn to
get to the good stuff on the bottom.
After emptying the pots, I looked at the still incredible soil and
wondered about the conventional wisdom of not re-planting in the same stuff.
Were nutrients depleted? Would diseases appear? One way to find out......

So, taking the easy way out, I put the stuff back in the pots and planted
away. I figure I'll make a batch of compost tea to re-innoculate anything
that's missing, and feed with the egg shell/banana peel/molasses slurry that
I use as a good luck potion and see how it goes......