Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-04-2009, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Should I Lock My Shed

In the UK an allotment is a parel of land rented, usually from local
government, (the council) usually by an individual. I have my plot of land.
In the UK the local authority is obliged in law by a number of 'enclosure
acts' to provide such land as may be neccessary in a particular area. This
is because of riots after the landed gentry enclosed the common land and
made it their own in the 1800's. Leaving poor people nowhere to graze their
animals or grow food for the table.

Allotments are usually collected together in a site managed by a committee,
and in any site there may be a handful of allotments or dozens. On my site
there are about 150 plots. each managed by an individual, or family or group
of friends. I have my own plot, with my own shed, as does the man next to me
and the couple next to him and the couple over the road. It is not the same
thing as a community garden. I farm my own plot as do the other allotment
holders on the site.

Go here to see the site that I have a plot on:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...03433&t=h&z=18

BTW I don't lock my shed, I just leave sharp and dangerous hazards and
manure lying around so that any thieving scrote or other class traitor will
hopefully injure themselves and catch something dreadful.

Baldymoon

I don't want to arrive at my grave in an attractive and well preserved body,
hopefully I will be skidding in
sideways, Gin and Tonic in one hand -- Cigar in the other screaming YAHAAAY!

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
On 14/04/09 17:41, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ed" wrote ...
Got my new shed now on the allotment and

Meant to ask, what's an "allotment"?

Assuming you're in the U.S, you would probably call it a community
garden.

Steve

Thanks. Then I would definitely lock my shed.