Old 24-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered User

Default Safe Conifer

I wish to plant a single conifer about 6ft from my house. I am aware of the problems with lellandi but I have found a different variety that grows to a maximum of two metres which suits me. Would the roots be a problem in this position ? Is there a conifer I could safely plant this close to the house that did not grow much taller than two metres ?
Old 24-04-2009, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Alan Marriott wrote:
I wish to plant a single conifer about 6ft from my house. I am aware of
the problems with lellandi but I have found a different variety that
grows to a maximum of two metres which suits me. Would the roots be a
problem in this position ? Is there a conifer I could safely plant
this close to the house that did not grow much taller than two metres ?

Does it really need to be a conifer or could some other sort of evergreen
fill the bill? There are some narrow Ilex (holly) varieties. One beauty is
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/skypenc1.html but it is probably not
hardy in far northern climes.

--
John McGaw