Old 27-04-2009, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Frost on leaves

Currently in Pittsburgh we are having temperatures in the high
eighties. The leaves on the trees appear to be coming out early. We do
normally have frost until around the middle of May. If we should have
a frost, would the frost affect the leaves as well as the flowers on
the trees. I have a small bush that is just coming into its own.
Should I cover it if there is a frost, or would the leaves grow back?

Thanks

Tom

Old 27-04-2009, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
" wrote:

Currently in Pittsburgh we are having temperatures in the high
eighties. The leaves on the trees appear to be coming out early. We do
normally have frost until around the middle of May. If we should have
a frost, would the frost affect the leaves as well as the flowers on
the trees. I have a small bush that is just coming into its own.
Should I cover it if there is a frost, or would the leaves grow back?

Thanks

Tom

Every year our Magnolias bloom. Sometimes they get burned. I found
the early bloomer should not be protected. South side of house gives
false pretense of winter gone. Then they fend for themselves still
celebrating even if short lived reminds me better to burn out then ...

Bill who never covers nothing but may cover rosemary next fall. Never
is a long time and Rosemary and potatoes yum.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Old 27-04-2009, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:20:22 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Currently in Pittsburgh we are having temperatures in the high
eighties. The leaves on the trees appear to be coming out early. We do
normally have frost until around the middle of May. If we should have
a frost, would the frost affect the leaves as well as the flowers on
the trees. I have a small bush that is just coming into its own.
Should I cover it if there is a frost, or would the leaves grow back?

Thanks

Tom

Some cover, others do not. I would cover vegetable plants, but not
landscaping plants. I have a lace-leaf maple that got frostibit last
year, the plant looked sad for some months but it bounced back this
year.
Old 28-04-2009, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Currently in Pittsburgh we are having temperatures in the high
eighties. The leaves on the trees appear to be coming out early. We do
normally have frost until around the middle of May. If we should have
a frost, would the frost affect the leaves as well as the flowers on
the trees. I have a small bush that is just coming into its own.
Should I cover it if there is a frost, or would the leaves grow back?

Thanks

Tom

People here who ran a garden shop many years ago told me that if you
get up early and wash the frost off the leaves before the sun hits
them that much damage can be avoided.

I don't get up early, so I'll never know.
Old 28-04-2009, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Currently in Pittsburgh we are having temperatures in the high
eighties. The leaves on the trees appear to be coming out early. We do
normally have frost until around the middle of May. If we should have
a frost, would the frost affect the leaves as well as the flowers on
the trees. I have a small bush that is just coming into its own.
Should I cover it if there is a frost, or would the leaves grow back?

Thanks

Tom

People here who ran a garden shop many years ago told me that if you
get up early and wash the frost off the leaves before the sun hits
them that much damage can be avoided.

I don't get up early, so I'll never know.

Never heard that. But I have read about the citrus farmers wetting
down the tree leaves before a predicted frost as the additional water
helps to slow the freezing process.