Old 01-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Jeff Kessler

Default leaves ... and more leaves - SUMMARY

Thank you all for your responses!!

Apparently most of you feel that netting is not a good idea for this size
pond.

Many of you suggested that I plant shrubs around the pond to prevent the
leaves from blowing in. One person recommended a fence for the same
purpose. I will probably look into the shrubs.

One problem is that my pond is in the woods, and there are many trees. I
think that many of the leaves are coming in from the trees directly.

Again, thanks for the input.

"Jeff Kessler" wrote in message
I have a 50' by 120' by 7' deep pond located about 1 hour north of New

York
City. This pond is now 1 year old.

The pond is located under deciduous trees, and picked up a whole lot of
leaves last year. Now that the ice is cleared, I want to clean out the
leaves.

1) What is the best way to do this on a pond of this size?

2) I have heard some people on this group discuss nets to keep the leaves
out. Do they make them in the size I need? Where is a good place to buy
these nets?

P.S. I have also seen some people talk about pond liners floating up due

high water tables or excessive rain / snow melt. I had this problem

myself.
The solution was to get a few garden hoses under the liner, and siphon the
water out. This worked for me because one side of my pond is a dam, and

the
ground on the other side is lower than the bottom of the pond. Gravity

took
care of pumping all the water out from under the liner, which was good as

have no electricity near the pond!! Once I got siphon started, I let it

run
for a few weeks, and the liner went right back down without any pumps or
plumbing.