Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Transplanting Zinnia

I am growing giant zinnia from seed and transplanting them to the
garden. They now have their first true leaves and are about three inches
tall. They look quite spindly. This may be because they are supposed to
finish out at thirty inches tall. Anyhow...is it proper to plant these
at the existing ground line with three inches above ground, or would it
be better to bury the plants so that the leaves are just above ground
(like planting a tomato). Any thoughts wold be appreciated.

TIA
EJ in NJ
Old 04-05-2009, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
m...
I am growing giant zinnia from seed and transplanting them to the garden.
They now have their first true leaves and are about three inches tall. They
look quite spindly. This may be because they are supposed to finish out at
thirty inches tall. Anyhow...is it proper to plant these at the existing
ground line with three inches above ground, or would it be better to bury
the plants so that the leaves are just above ground (like planting a
tomato). Any thoughts wold be appreciated.

TIA
EJ in NJ

Please give some details about the light you've been using to grow the
seedlings.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
m...
I am growing giant zinnia from seed and transplanting them to the garden.
They now have their first true leaves and are about three inches tall. They
look quite spindly. This may be because they are supposed to finish out at
thirty inches tall. Anyhow...is it proper to plant these at the existing
ground line with three inches above ground, or would it be better to bury
the plants so that the leaves are just above ground (like planting a
tomato). Any thoughts wold be appreciated.

TIA
EJ in NJ

Please give some details about the light you've been using to grow the
seedlings.

The seeds were started in normal SW facing backyard sunlight, in a Ferry
Morse seed starter "hothouse". They definitely had more than enough light.

EJ in NJ

Old 04-05-2009, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

More than enough light when the sun was on that side of the house, assuming
they were in a window.

In any case, do what Jangclub said. Don't plant them deeper than they
already are. If the seed packet or catalog said "tetraploid variety", plan
on having some serious stakes ready for early summer. I planted those once,
and they turned out twice as tall as the catalog claimed. There are two
plants in this picture, and that was early July.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1241476401

Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 4, 5:48*pm, Ernie Willson wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
om...
I am growing giant zinnia from seed and transplanting them to the garden.
They now have their first true leaves and are about three inches tall. They
look quite spindly. This may be because they are supposed to finish out at
thirty inches tall. Anyhow...is it proper to plant these at the existing
ground line with three inches above ground, or would it be better to bury
the plants so that the leaves are just above ground (like planting a
tomato). Any thoughts wold be appreciated.

TIA
EJ in NJ

Please give some details about the light you've been using to grow the
seedlings.

The seeds were started in normal SW facing backyard sunlight, in a Ferry
Morse seed starter "hothouse". They definitely had more than enough light..

Legginess is almost always from not enough
light. Try shoplights with cheap cool white
tubes, about 2" from the plant tops. The seedlings
will be much stockier.

Plant them deep to compensate.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 May 2009 16:50:24 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
. com...
I am growing giant zinnia from seed and transplanting them to the garden.
They now have their first true leaves and are about three inches tall.
They
look quite spindly. This may be because they are supposed to finish out
at
thirty inches tall. Anyhow...is it proper to plant these at the existing
ground line with three inches above ground, or would it be better to bury
the plants so that the leaves are just above ground (like planting a
tomato). Any thoughts wold be appreciated.

TIA
EJ in NJ

Please give some details about the light you've been using to grow the
seedlings.

Interesting. Why did you come here and ask a question if you knew you
weren't interested in the answer? It's not a debate organic vs.
synthetic. Organics are chemical, and synthetics are chemical. Ever
hear the term organic chemistry? Head exploding.

I told you a way to go about the problems you are having and you are
lazy and want the spikes. So stop wasting people's time and just do
what you want. Mantra: Do what I want, do what i want, do what I
want.
Victoria

How drunk were you when you responded to the wrong person?

[IMG] code is On

Flowers: - Zinnia-Salmon_2_1999.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 23-03-2009 09:10 AM
Deadheading Zinnia question TOM KAN PA Gardening 3 08-08-2003 07:04 PM
Creeping Zinnia (Sanvitalia Procumbens)... seedstarting... DigitalVinyl Gardening 0 12-06-2003 12:44 PM
Zinnia Seeds Karen Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
profusion zinnia michele Gardening 0 31-03-2003 01:08 PM