Old 25-05-2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Black Snake habits

Found a black snake hanging out by a concrete downspout run off block. snake was
probably about 30" long with about a 1/2 inch head. Definitely a baby as they'll grow
up to 6 - 8 feet around here. He was either drinking or sunning himself on the concrete.

Anyway... chased him back into his hole under a shrub.... ... trying to figure a few
things out.... like WHY is he here...

I had a few field mice in the house, killled about 6 of them using traps and just
threw the bodies under a few bushes in front. They disappeared overnight,
however I thought snakes won't eat anything that's already dead. Wondering
if that's what attracted him.

Have rabbits and doves in the garage...in raised cages...several feet off the floor....
not sure if that's what attracted the snake. I know the odors attract other rabbits.

And we have the usual assortment of wild critters hanging out... bird nests...
found a few eggs on the ground, squirrels, couple of stray rabbits. Plenty
of food for the snake to eat, plus a few snake predators, foxes, falcons, vultures,

So, do black snakes make permanent dens in a location or are they
fairly transient ???? Any way to discourage him from hanging around ??

Sprayed the shrubs with a mixture of water / ammonia and If I see him
again. he'll be relocated to avoid taking chances with the pet rabbits and doves.

But I'm curious.... eastern black snakes used to hang around barns and old farm
houses... do they settle in long term or just termporarily.

Thx...

Peter

Old 25-05-2009, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about the venomous black snake(s) of Australia, the
non-venomous sort from north America or something else?

David

Old 25-05-2009, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:19:09 +1000, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Maryland US. Eastern Black Snake non-venomous
Old 25-05-2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 25 May 2009 01:03:50 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Now a non-issue.... the snake was wandering around today....a little larger
than first estimate...about 4 foot long. Head is 1 1/4 long by about 3/4 wide...

He is being relaocated.

Peter
Old 25-05-2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Try posting your question at the rec.pets.herp newsgroup.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 26-05-2009, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

I saw one the other day, about 6 feet long. They eat rodents and
copperheads and generally shy away from people. For the most part
when I see a black snake, I usually don't see him hanging around day
after day. There is no reason to harass them. Sadly, folks here kill
black snakes.