Old 20-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Default Tree roots everywhere!

Hi All, new member and new to gardening in general!

I have a small problem - To the back of my house there is a playing field surounded by trees, a few months back the counsel arrived and cut down every second tree (by the looks of it) these trees are about 10ft from the boundery of my garden.
Sence the tree has been cut, my avarage size garden has been sprouting small tree roots, there a nice covering over the whole garden, i would guess there are about 50 or so.

So, advice needed. but I do have two questions...

1- im guessing the trees roots are heading towards my house, is there any chance of future damage to the foundations?

2- to remove them whats best - cut, pull, lawnmower or none of these?

Cheers all!
Old 20-06-2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/20/2009 2:43 AM, mattyd wrote:
Hi All, new member and new to gardening in general!

I have a small problem - To the back of my house there is a playing
field surounded by trees, a few months back the counsel arrived and cut
down every second tree (by the looks of it) these trees are about 10ft
from the boundery of my garden.
Sence the tree has been cut, my avarage size garden has been sprouting
small tree roots, there a nice covering over the whole garden, i would
guess there are about 50 or so.

So, advice needed. but I do have two questions...

1- im guessing the trees roots are heading towards my house, is there
any chance of future damage to the foundations?

2- to remove them whats best - cut, pull, lawnmower or none of these?

Cheers all!

Roots? It sounds more like shoots?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 20-06-2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:43:44 +0100, mattyd
wrote:

Hi All, new member and new to gardening in general!

I have a small problem - To the back of my house there is a playing
field surounded by trees, a few months back the counsel arrived and cut
down every second tree (by the looks of it) these trees are about 10ft
from the boundery of my garden.
Sence the tree has been cut, my avarage size garden has been sprouting
small tree roots, there a nice covering over the whole garden, i would
guess there are about 50 or so.

So, advice needed. but I do have two questions...

1- im guessing the trees roots are heading towards my house, is there
any chance of future damage to the foundations?

Maybe. It really depends on the kind of tree. I wouldn't trust a
willow nor a silver maple, but a sweetgum or sugar maple is okay.

2- to remove them whats best - cut, pull, lawnmower or none of these?

Cut roots getting into your garden area. I use a spade, maddock, pic
axe, saw, etc. Cutting tree roots may harm the health of a tree, if
that matters.

Cheers all!

Old 20-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Registered User

yep, shoots - sorry
Old 21-06-2009, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/20/2009 2:42 PM, mattyd wrote:
yep, shoots - sorry

Mowing the shoots will eventually starve the roots underneath them.
This will work only for shoots from the roots of the trees that were
removed.

Alternatively, you can use Roundup or some other herbicide if there is
no desirable plants right next to the shoots. Roundup will move through
the shoot and kill the roots; mix it a little more dilute than the
instructions indicate so that it doesn't kill the tender shoot before it
can reach the roots. This will work on shoots from roots both from
trees that were removed and trees that are still standing. For the
latter, the trees themselves should not be harmed because only roots
near the treated shoots should be affected. (In many cases, roots send
up shoots only when the main tree has been killed, in which case
standing trees will definitely not be affected.)

Twice, I've had trees removed from my garden and then had to fight
shoots from the roots for several years. I couldn't always use an
herbicide because the shoots were coming up right in the middle of
desirable plants. I had to pull the shoots because they were not were a
mower could be used.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

roots everywhere Dan-o Gardening 6 05-05-2005 11:14 PM
Roots coming out of stems everywhere??? Ron Nelson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Plants that will not put out Roots everywhere Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Roots coming out of stems everywhere??? Ron Nelson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 15-03-2003 06:59 AM
Plants that will not put out Roots everywhere Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 18-02-2003 12:38 AM