Old 10-07-2009, 05:08 PM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural

Default Hey PETA, Screw Wildlife

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:49:23 -0400, Ernie Willson
wrote:

You didn't mention Squirrels.

Also didn't mention wasps or the time that a huge yellowjacket nest
grew within the exterior cedar siding. Yellowjackets emerged at
several spots within the house trying to find their way out. Problem
persisted the entire month of October 1997. What a hassle!

Also didn't mention the occasional field mouse who gets in.

As for the gray squirrel, his presence has been only a minor nuisance,
digging small holes to bury / retrieve black walnuts and acorns.
_____________

EJ in NJ

Way Back Jack wrote:
RACCOONS: dig up the old lady's annual flower garden, shit all over
the decks, and tear up the cushions on deck furniture. Why? On three
sides of this property, there are woods, farmland, ponds, and streams
.... a wildlife paradise; yet they sometimes get on the roof and try
to access the house. Why? Yes, I'll anti-freeze them and don't care
who likes it.

WOODCHUCKS: are even worse digging burrows near the east side property
line, but at least they have an excuse with the row of mulberry trees
that defines that property line. Still, it's a bitch dodging the
burrows on the tractor. I set a record this year by killing seven of
them, two of whom while they were mating on -- believe it or not --
Valentine's Day. Heh.

WHITETAIL: deer can be dangerous, especially in autumn. One decided
to live under a deck. He had an injured leg. He had absolutely no
fear and would approach the old lady while she played in the perennial
flower garden. Shotgun blasts did not scare him. One day while on a
deck, I dropped a 10 lb. barbell plate on him. He was quick enough to
dodge it but he finally got the message. He spent a few days down
below by the pond but then disappeared.

WILLIE THE WILD TURKEY: adopted us one summer. He terrorized the
cats, attacked his own reflection in auto bumpers, and slept on the
roof, even in thunderstorms. The only good thing about Willie was
that he exterminated most of the cricket population.

ASSORTED SMALL BIRDS: attack their reflections in windows and really
create a mess. This year, a robin, last year, a lady cardinal, the
year before that, a song sparrow.

Still, some wildlife is enjoyable. Young turkey vultures are friendly
and inquisitive while you work outside. Their parents demonstrate a
high degree of surgical skill extracting a brain from a deceased
woodchuck or raccoon through the decedent's eye sockets. Interesting
to observe. Then there were the pheasants strutting and eating a ton
of bugs but they suddenly and mysteriously disappeared 20-25 years
ago.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

In article ,
(Vladimir Tschenko Badenov) wrote:

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 18:36:05 -0400, Karl Kleinpaste
wrote:

Billy writes:
When are YOU going to get alarmed, when, except for the zoos, the only
animals left are pets and food animals? Our biosphere is dying, and we
can only save it, one raccoon at a time.

Geez...you haven't looked out my back door lately.

I live on 15 acres of nowhereness, northwest of Pittsburgh near the Ohio
line. On any given day, 20 or 30 deer wander by, mostly at the treeline
that abuts the open field of the next parcel, ~150ft behind the house.
Local turkey flocks are positively routine, and I don't mean 5, I mean
30 or 40 at a time. Raccoons aren't too common, but I see them now and
again. This year, there is a family of foxes living in the woods
somewhere just southwest of the house who step now and again into the
yard, generally at dawn or dusk.

The deer congregate most days in what we've long called "town hall",
which is a low hollow inside the treeline on the far side of the power
tower right-of-way, ~200yds due east of the house...except during
hunting season, when they disappear for parts unknown. They figured out
long ago when they need to make themselves scarce.

Then there's the possums that often befriend our cats for playful romps
after dark. Add in the moles and voles that the cats hunt during the
day. I can't say I'm sorry to see our feline Mighty Hunters having
success in that department, as long as they don't bring gifts (or
[worse] half-gifts) into the house. Coyotes avoid the house, but they
are known to live in the woods down near the creek, still on my property
but well toward the northeast corner of it.

No bears these days, at least none that we know of. But small stuff
like toads and whatnot are everywhere.

I could feed my household using nothing but a crossbow, without ever
having to step outside the yard immediately surrounding the house. All
I have to do is wait for the game to show up.

It's a funny view of "the dying biosphere" that some folks have.

Billy has bought into the hoax.

Billy has read the numbers and understand them.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

wrote:

Billy writes:
[...]

Billy believes that global warming is man-made; man can reverse it;
and if man doesn't reverse it, will be necessarily catastrophic.

Bill has drunk the Goron Kool-Aid.

Billy doesn't know that there is no longer a consensus.

Billy doesn't know that the global temp has dropped .74 since "An
Inconvenient Truth."

Happy to edify.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:43 PM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural
z z is offline

On Jul 9, 4:56*pm, (Vladimir Tschenko Badenov) wrote:

Vladimir think you are enviro-nutcake tree hugger, care more about
animal and tree than human. *Original poster say that area has lots of

met a lot of humans. met a lot of trees. by and large, prefer most of
the trees to most of the humans. case in point.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural
z z is offline

On Jul 9, 9:34*am, (Way Back Jack) wrote:
RACCOONS:

no need to post all this, your sexual habits are already known to us,
more than we would like.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:56 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

wrote:

Billy writes:
[...]

All I know for sure is people are generally stuck where they live, they
can't really move around to where its more comfortable to live. So that
brings it down to a singularity of each and every individual, not a global
thing.

In the U.S. (not the globe), its been more cool up north, much warmer south
and west with less precipitation. Central Texas is about to surpass the
drought of the 1950's I don't know why, I just know that it is. And it
doesn't matter why as we can't do anything about it, climatic or otherwise
man-made in a reasonable amount of time. Either way, the time-line for such
is too substantial for one generation to see that change for the better.

So, therefore, I submit all the political mumbo-jumbo about all this is just
that. Either left or right. Just another political opportunity to take
jabs at each other when there's no reality basis to begin with.
--
Dave

Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 AM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural

There is plenty of room for wildlife, right next to the mashed potatoes.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article pplyinc,
"D. Staples" wrote:

There is plenty of room for wildlife, right next to the mashed potatoes.

Really old joke, not to mention the wildlife and the mashed potatoes.

Old 23-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Back Jack[_7_] View Post
[...]

Hi,
Problem with that option is that when you live in close proximity with
other people, there are roaches because others aren't as sanitary as
they should be.That's not how it was explained to me at a recent visit to the Nature Center at a State Park.
http://Garden-Planters.com