Old 09-07-2009, 02:34 PM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural

Default Hey PETA, Screw Wildlife

RACCOONS: dig up the old lady's annual flower garden, shit all over
the decks, and tear up the cushions on deck furniture. Why? On three
sides of this property, there are woods, farmland, ponds, and streams
..... a wildlife paradise; yet they sometimes get on the roof and try
to access the house. Why? Yes, I'll anti-freeze them and don't care
who likes it.

WOODCHUCKS: are even worse digging burrows near the east side property
line, but at least they have an excuse with the row of mulberry trees
that defines that property line. Still, it's a bitch dodging the
burrows on the tractor. I set a record this year by killing seven of
them, two of whom while they were mating on -- believe it or not --
Valentine's Day. Heh.

WHITETAIL: deer can be dangerous, especially in autumn. One decided
to live under a deck. He had an injured leg. He had absolutely no
fear and would approach the old lady while she played in the perennial
flower garden. Shotgun blasts did not scare him. One day while on a
deck, I dropped a 10 lb. barbell plate on him. He was quick enough to
dodge it but he finally got the message. He spent a few days down
below by the pond but then disappeared.

WILLIE THE WILD TURKEY: adopted us one summer. He terrorized the
cats, attacked his own reflection in auto bumpers, and slept on the
roof, even in thunderstorms. The only good thing about Willie was
that he exterminated most of the cricket population.

ASSORTED SMALL BIRDS: attack their reflections in windows and really
create a mess. This year, a robin, last year, a lady cardinal, the
year before that, a song sparrow.

Still, some wildlife is enjoyable. Young turkey vultures are friendly
and inquisitive while you work outside. Their parents demonstrate a
high degree of surgical skill extracting a brain from a deceased
woodchuck or raccoon through the decedent's eye sockets. Interesting
to observe. Then there were the pheasants strutting and eating a ton
of bugs but they suddenly and mysteriously disappeared 20-25 years
ago.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Way Back Jack wrote:

I finally got rid of my (small) possum that apparently was living
under my kitchen cabinets.

Now, I have a lot of indoor/outdoor cats who are excellent hunters,
but none took an interest in the possum. In fact they ignored him and
the possum did likewise.

When I finally caught him, he appeared to be in superb condition,
unlike his first grisly appearance.

Jeff

Old 09-07-2009, 06:49 PM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural

On Jul 9, 9:34*am, (Way Back Jack) wrote:
[...]

That's not how it was explained to me at a recent visit to the Nature
Center at a State Park.

Me: "Why do you have a single decal of a bird on each of your
windows?"

Staff: "Have you ever had a bird bounce off your living room window?"

Me: "Yes, I assume it's because they can't see the glass."

Staff: "Correct. Now, under normal circumstances, when a bird is
simply flying from one place to another, they would rather not fly
into another a bird. By placing decals of birds on the windows, the
birds turn away and find another route to wherever they were going."
Old 09-07-2009, 06:55 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 09:54:38 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
(Way Back Jack) wrote:
Why don't you move to a nice retirement community, where you can be
looked after by professionals?

Problem with that option is that when you live in close proximity with
other people, there are roaches because others aren't as sanitary as
they should be.

After 33 years of urban/suburban living and 32 years of rural living,
rural is the lesser of two evils.

T'anks for the suggestion anyway.
____________

--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Old 09-07-2009, 06:56 PM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:49:21 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jul 9, 9:34=A0am, (Way Back Jack) wrote:

ASSORTED SMALL BIRDS: attack their reflections in windows and really
create a mess. =A0This year, a robin, last year, a lady cardinal, the
year before that, a song sparrow.

Still, some wildlife is enjoyable. =A0Young turkey vultures are friendly
and inquisitive while you work outside. =A0Their parents demonstrate a
high degree of surgical skill extracting a brain from a deceased
woodchuck or raccoon through the decedent's eye sockets. =A0Interesting
to observe. Then there were the pheasants strutting and eating a ton
of bugs but they suddenly and mysteriously disappeared 20-25 years
ago.

"ASSORTED SMALL BIRDS: attack their reflections in windows and
really create a mess."

That's not how it was explained to me at a recent visit to the Nature
Center at a State Park.

Me: "Why do you have a single decal of a bird on each of your
windows?"

Staff: "Have you ever had a bird bounce off your living room window?"

Me: "Yes, I assume it's because they can't see the glass."

Staff: "Correct. Now, under normal circumstances, when a bird is
simply flying from one place to another, they would rather not fly
into another a bird. By placing decals of birds on the windows, the
birds turn away and find another route to wherever they were going."

Oh yeah, we have bouncing birds too, who unintentionally crash into
the windows, often causing harm or death to themselves. I feel sorry
for them.

I'm talking about birds who see their reflections as an adversary,
competitor, or whatever you want to call them. They attack their
reflections numerous times each day, not with crashing force but with
pecks. The mess they make -- spit, snot, or whatever -- is hard to
clean

Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural

Apparently you chose to live on land where there has been wildlife and
you expect them to just move out because you are here?? It's you who
has invaded their domain. They really are not aware of property
lines. You seem to appreciate looking at them from a distance. Why
don't you just move back to the city and watch the animals in the
zoo? Leave the wildlife alone. They were thre first.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:56 PM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:43:37 -0700 (PDT), ctlady
wrote:

Apparently you chose to live on land where there has been wildlife and
you expect them to just move out because you are here?? It's you who
has invaded their domain. They really are not aware of property
lines. You seem to appreciate looking at them from a distance. Why
don't you just move back to the city and watch the animals in the
zoo? Leave the wildlife alone. They were thre first.

Vladimir think you are enviro-nutcake tree hugger, care more about
animal and tree than human. Original poster say that area has lots of
woods, etc. for shelter, living space. No need to encroach on
humans, to tear apart furniture. What does that have to do with
getting food and surviving? Crazy turkey, crazy deer. If human being
tried to live under your deck or violate space of person planting
flowers, you would be on phone in no time calling policemans.

On Jul 9, 9:34=A0am, (Way Back Jack) wrote:
RACCOONS: dig up the old lady's annual flower garden, shit all over
the decks, and tear up the cushions on deck furniture. =A0Why? =A0On thre=

sides of this property, there are woods, farmland, ponds, and streams
.... a wildlife paradise; yet they sometimes get on the roof and try
to access the house. =A0Why? =A0Yes, I'll anti-freeze them and don't care
who likes it.

WOODCHUCKS: are even worse digging burrows near the east side property
line, but at least they have an excuse with the row of mulberry trees
that defines that property line. =A0Still, it's a bitch dodging the
burrows on the tractor. =A0I set a record this year by killing seven of
them, two of whom while they were mating on -- believe it or not --
Valentine's Day. =A0Heh.

WHITETAIL: deer can be dangerous, especially in autumn. =A0One decided
to live under a deck. =A0He had an injured leg. =A0He had absolutely no
fear and would approach the old lady while she played in the perennial
flower garden. =A0Shotgun blasts did not scare him. =A0One day while on a
deck, I dropped a 10 lb. barbell plate on him. =A0He was quick enough to
dodge it but he finally got the message. =A0He spent a few days down
below by the pond but then disappeared.

WILLIE THE WILD TURKEY: adopted us one summer. =A0He terrorized the
cats, attacked his own reflection in auto bumpers, and slept on the
roof, even in thunderstorms. =A0The only good thing about Willie was

Old 09-07-2009, 11:41 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 14:56:54 -0700, Billy
wrote:

wrote:

Apparently you chose to live on land where there has been wildlife and
you expect them to just move out because you are here?? It's you who
has invaded their domain. They really are not aware of property
lines. You seem to appreciate looking at them from a distance. Why
don't you just move back to the city and watch the animals in the
zoo? Leave the wildlife alone. They were thre first.

Vladimir think you are enviro-nutcake tree hugger, care more about
animal and tree than human. Original poster say that area has lots of
woods, etc. for shelter, living space. No need to encroach on
humans, to tear apart furniture. What does that have to do with
getting food and surviving? Crazy turkey, crazy deer. If human being
tried to live under your deck or violate space of person planting
flowers, you would be on phone in no time calling policemans.

As any enviro-tree hugger, such as myself, will tell you, you are not
separate from nature. If you think you are, then you are the nut case.
What the lady was suggesting was coexistence, or some concession, like a
compost pile where the raccoons could get first dibs on the watermelon
rinds, which might keep them out of your flower beds. I have raccoons
roaming my yard at night, sifting the garden mulch for food. They do
some damage but nothing I can't live with. If worse come to worse, get a
motion activated sprinkler. 'Course, you're gonna forget about it, and
get drenched;O) You're the one with the big, conceptual brain, you
should be able to think of some cooperative strategy to reduce
predations.

Oh, and don't worry, wildlife is getting screwed. Two hundred years ago,
we could live off the land, now we can't. When are YOU going to get
alarmed, when, except for the zoos, the only animals left are pets and
food animals? Our biosphere is dying, and we can only save it, one
raccoon at a time.

Hey Senator Gore,
If you think that the biosphere is dying, look to overpopulation, but
focus on the politically-correct groups that you lefties include on
the "victim" plantation. They're the ones who're ****ing their brains
out.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Actually, all kitchen waste does get thrown into a compost file. You
and your furry friends are welcome to it. That's not the issue,
weenie. What part of "property destruction" do you fail to
comprehend? Also, wildlife that is friendly, showing no fear of
humans, is as a general rule dangerous, especially animals like
whitetail and turkeys that are very skittish usually.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 18:36:05 -0400, Karl Kleinpaste
wrote:

Billy writes:
When are YOU going to get alarmed, when, except for the zoos, the only
animals left are pets and food animals? Our biosphere is dying, and we
can only save it, one raccoon at a time.

Geez...you haven't looked out my back door lately.

I live on 15 acres of nowhereness, northwest of Pittsburgh near the Ohio
line. On any given day, 20 or 30 deer wander by, mostly at the treeline
that abuts the open field of the next parcel, ~150ft behind the house.
Local turkey flocks are positively routine, and I don't mean 5, I mean
30 or 40 at a time. Raccoons aren't too common, but I see them now and
again. This year, there is a family of foxes living in the woods
somewhere just southwest of the house who step now and again into the
yard, generally at dawn or dusk.

The deer congregate most days in what we've long called "town hall",
which is a low hollow inside the treeline on the far side of the power
tower right-of-way, ~200yds due east of the house...except during
hunting season, when they disappear for parts unknown. They figured out
long ago when they need to make themselves scarce.

Then there's the possums that often befriend our cats for playful romps
after dark. Add in the moles and voles that the cats hunt during the
day. I can't say I'm sorry to see our feline Mighty Hunters having
success in that department, as long as they don't bring gifts (or
[worse] half-gifts) into the house. Coyotes avoid the house, but they
are known to live in the woods down near the creek, still on my property
but well toward the northeast corner of it.

No bears these days, at least none that we know of. But small stuff
like toads and whatnot are everywhere.

I could feed my household using nothing but a crossbow, without ever
having to step outside the yard immediately surrounding the house. All
I have to do is wait for the game to show up.

It's a funny view of "the dying biosphere" that some folks have.

Billy has bought into the hoax.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Well shit head, what part of habitat destruction don't you understand?
The human race in in the bull's eye, and you want to **** and moan about
a raccoon? Get real.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:22:35 -0700, Billy
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Oh you mean the destruction of my habitat by the raccoon?

The human race in in the bull's eye, and you want to **** and moan about
a raccoon? Get real.

Hey, if you wanna bitch about Obama and the leftists that are flushing
the US down the toilette, you might wanna take it to a politics group.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:46 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural,rec.gardens

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:25:49 -0700, Billy
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

How about putting that in English instead of neo-speak.
How about some examples. Think you could do that?
I have no problem with ****ing my brains out. Heartily recommend it to
everyone;O)

Examples of what, Goron?

You don't believe that it took from the beginning of homo sapiens
until 1950 to reach 3 billion, and then only 49 years to double to 6
billion?

If you're aware of that well-known fact, do you think that it's the
white folks who are ****ing their brains out?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:54 PM posted to alt.bitterness,rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,soc.culture.usa,misc.rural

"Way Back Jack" wrote in message
[...]

Just my observations on white-tailed deer in my area of the woods. The
"wild" ones are real skittish, can't get within 50 yards of them while on
foot. The "tame" ones that inhabit the rural town nearby are much less
likely to run off if a person on foot approaches. Some will let you touch
them in fact. Apparently, some of the local inhabitants feed these deer
frequently with corn, dry dog food, and anything else the deer will eat.
These deer, I would hardly call "wildlife" in the strictest sense.

Behavior modification isn't unusal when acting a a food source. That
appears to be what happened to the deer in your story. Going under a pier
and beam home, or attached deck (no skirt) is not likely for even injured,
wild white-tailed deer.
--
Dave